PASCO’s Constant Job Ads

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: PASCO’s Constant Job Ads

Post by propfeather »

BCBlue wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:26 pm The scales don’t top out at 90-100 and they don’t truly reflect earnings potential in any case.
Training increments add significantly to the scale, as do overtime payments, without working excessive days/hours. It differs across types and across bases, but I typically work 16 days a month and exceed the 80 credit guarantee.
Good to hear, thanks!
Hope the upward trend continues.
---------- ADS -----------

BCBlue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BCBlue »

CanadaAir wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:30 am
propfeather wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:21 am
BCBlue wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:53 pm From someone who actually works there, I clear the figures quoted above, as do most others with experience here.
So the scale doesn't top out around 100k anymore? What does the top of scale look like now? And how long to get there?
Why doesn't the company advertise the actual pay scale?
Take a look at this thread and the comments from people that have no knowledge or interest in the company, and I think you’ll find your answer. We could be paying more than Delta and American combined and there would still be people hiding behind keyboards and mouthing off about it.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

BCBlue wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:37 pm

So the scale doesn't top out around 100k anymore? What does the top of scale look like now? And how long to get there?
Take a look at this thread and the comments from people that have no knowledge or interest in the company, and I think you’ll find your answer. We could be paying more than Delta and American combined and there would still be people hiding behind keyboards and mouthing off about it.
Not true, I am anonymous but that’s the nature of the webboard however I am considering moving to a place that is served by Pasco. So, I asked a recently resigned pilot if they would commute on them. The answer was no, elaborated with examples and a comment it was just a matter of time. Not a disgruntled employee and based on the examples, I was convinced I won’t be using them for my commute, thankfully another airport with better service is drivable.
The bottom line, companies are lowering the experience requirements instead of upping the pay, using they’re going to leave anyway as the excuse.

throwaway1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by throwaway1234 »

I've got that much discussed New Pay Scale here for your perusal.
PASCO Pay Scale.png
PASCO Pay Scale.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1592 times

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Good to see, thanks for the info. What is the MMG?

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

80 credit hours seems to be the word.

So a pilot flying a King Air at Carson will have to take a $25k pay cut to fly a SAAB for Pasco as DEC under their “new” scales.

And they have ads up all of the time, too.

Gee, I wonder why PASCO isn’t finding anyone?

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

Can someone post the pay scales for similar operators?

Central Mountain Air?
Exploits Valley Air Services?
PASCAN?

throwaway1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by throwaway1234 »

EVAS is unionized and thus their pay scale is publicly available. Here is that masterpiece
EVAS Pay Scale.jpg
EVAS Pay Scale.jpg (478.36 KiB) Viewed 1333 times

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Eva's is also petitioning for tfw's

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

throwaway1234 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:13 pm I've got that much discussed New Pay Scale here for your perusal.
PASCO Pay Scale.png

Thanks for posting.

Similar type first year captain was making $84/hr in 2013 which inflates to $106/hr in 2023.

Pacific Coastal is paying first year captains $36/hr less than the rate paid for similar types 10 years ago.

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

rigpiggy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:31 pm Eva's is also petitioning for tfw's

Exploits Valley Air Services has submitted many applications for Temporary foreign workers in order to suppress paying Canadian pilots more to live in the region and fly for them.

Exploiting pilots for low wages is part of why EVAS is falling apart and lost their contract with Air Canada.
If the owners had paid to retain experienced pilots to ensure safe operations, it would have been more profitable for their business.

This industry is more concerned about cutting labour costs and keeping pilot wages low, then sustaining safety.

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

In most the Pasco ads they are promoting their new comprehensive benefits and updates salaries.

If the company is trying to attract pilots based on pay, they should be posting the actual pay.

The posted rates are showing the company is paying captains starting at $79/hr, which is lower then in the company ads.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

CanadaAir wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:50 am

In most the Pasco ads they are promoting their new comprehensive benefits and updates salaries.

If the company is trying to attract pilots based on pay, they should be posting the actual pay.

The posted rates are showing the company is paying captains starting at $79/hr, which is lower then in the company ads.
This is straight from Pasco HR. DEC starts at level 2 vs level 1 so thats the disconnect in the Salary.

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

BCBlue wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:53 pm
The idea that paying more enhances safety is seriously flawed. All areas of the industry are dealing with staffing shortages and experience level issues. Pasco mitigates by training in level C or D sims to roughly twice the minimum mandated training hours and by some fairly strict SOP adherence, which I suspect isn’t always the case with some Northern 703 carriers that this thread compares, although no criticism real or implied of any of the operators quoted here, as I have no insight into their specific operations.

Its positive the company is doing more than the minimum Transport Canada sim time.

Simulators are valuable & the more time pilots spend in them the safer.
A sim can’t replace the actual aircraft experience.
Higher pay is required to retain those with aircraft experience.
Experience on type is connected with safety, and this experience can be retained by higher pay.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

I was going to say that EVA's may as well get rid of the YR3 onwards as no captain in their right mind would bother sticking around at those rates. Then I realized that I can't even believe they were able to hire a single captain who was willing to work for the YR 1 wages even if they knew they could leave in a year, so maybe they should get rid of the whole thing and close up shop. I'm surprised they are actually still in business.

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

Regional air carrier Pacific Coastal Airlines is ending direct flights between Cranbrook’s Canadian Rockies International Airport and Vancouver as of April 28.

The company has cited a shortage of pilots and aircraft maintenance crews along with challenges linked to the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9557309/paci ... ights/amp/

Similar to EVAS. Pacific Coastal would rather cancel routes and cut their business than pay more to attract new pilots and retain experienced ones.
If they had invested in pilots, they would have them to operate in the current time of high demand for air travel.
Management decides to make less revenue instead.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

CanadaAir wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:22 am Regional air carrier Pacific Coastal Airlines is ending direct flights between Cranbrook’s Canadian Rockies International Airport and Vancouver as of April 28.

The company has cited a shortage of pilots and aircraft maintenance crews along with challenges linked to the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9557309/paci ... ights/amp/

Similar to EVAS. Pacific Coastal would rather cancel routes and cut their business than pay more to attract new pilots and retain experienced ones.
If they had invested in pilots, they would have them to operate in the current time of high demand for air travel.
Management decides to make less revenue instead.
Bottom line, historically companies just have to ride out the difficult times to get back to a hiring cycle that favours the company!
None of them want to saddle themselves with a very expensive contract when the inevitable downturn arrives, depending on how deep the recession goes, one of the big US carriers might not survive, at the very least they will enter Chapter 11.
This will cycle through all of them as the first one out will have a big cost advantage, look at the big picture here, they are all competing for pilots, well to not lose them to the competition, these wages are not sustainable.
Perhaps they are all steering each other into failure to capitalize in the aftermath, I would like to see a wage catchup in Canada, not something that makes operations impossible.
I’m a self proclaimed realist but I do see some version of the above happening, so no, 590/hr for a widebody is not coming to Canada but flying a Saab should not be 36/hr behind inflation, that’s insulting, yes I realize the irony about Jazz starting wage to which I’ve never agreed with.
I stand by my opinion, pilots have a choice to accept these wages or say screw you!

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

‘Bob’ wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:42 am 80 credit hours seems to be the word.

So a pilot flying a King Air at Carson will have to take a $25k pay cut to fly a SAAB for Pasco as DEC under their “new” scales.

And they have ads up all of the time, too.

Gee, I wonder why PASCO isn’t finding anyone?
Are you referencing medevac pay at Carson? Last I heard Metro captains there were making quite a bit less than the new Pasco scale but that was a year or two ago. It would be great to hear that has changed but it is not really fair to compare medevac wages to sched flying in the current climate.

BCBlue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BCBlue »

CanadaAir wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:57 am
BCBlue wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:53 pm
The idea that paying more enhances safety is seriously flawed. All areas of the industry are dealing with staffing shortages and experience level issues. Pasco mitigates by training in level C or D sims to roughly twice the minimum mandated training hours and by some fairly strict SOP adherence, which I suspect isn’t always the case with some Northern 703 carriers that this thread compares, although no criticism real or implied of any of the operators quoted here, as I have no insight into their specific operations.

Its positive the company is doing more than the minimum Transport Canada sim time.

Simulators are valuable & the more time pilots spend in them the safer.
A sim can’t replace the actual aircraft experience.
Higher pay is required to retain those with aircraft experience.
Experience on type is connected with safety, and this experience can be retained by higher pay.
I agree with all your points, but it is a little detached from the reality at Pasco. It’s typically not the pilots with experience that we are seeing move on, unless you count the ones with a year on line as “experienced”. Most of the people with significant experience are here for lifestyle, not money for its own sake. The people we are typically seeing move on are meeting the minimum requirements for Jazz/Encore//Flair/AC/WJ, with FOs typically taking a bit of a pay cut to go to the regionals and Captains taking a big pay cut to go to AC with a longer end game in mind. For the vast majority of these career minded people, no amount of money is going to deflect them from their planned career path.
For me, there is too much focus through this thread on the pay scale while ignoring other factors, such as matched RSP, travel benefits allowing worldwide travel for next to nothing in (for me) effectively 6 weeks paid vacation, run as current year, not earned from the preceding year and various other benefits to Pasco that are specific to each individual. Money is of course important to all of us, to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table, and if it’s your only driver, then you can certainly earn more outside of Pasco. Should pay be higher. Of course, but that is a societal and industry wide issue to which there is no easy answer. Pasco unilaterally increasing ticket prices to fund higher wages would do no more than put us out of business in short order with our competitors undercutting our price point while still paying lower wages.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

CanadaAir wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:28 am Pasco is advertising captain rates of $83,000 to start and topping out at $100,000.
This is less than other companies paid a decade ago.
Consider the cost of living in Vancouver.
What companies were paying 85K starting, to drive a 1900 in Canada 10 years ago ?

If that's what you think, then it's pretty obvious you were not around in this biz 10 years ago.

Return to “General Comments”