Who wins, who loses?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Who wins, who loses?

Post by Panama Jack »

Also from Macleans

April 26, 2004

Who Cries, Who Cheers

If Air Canada goes bust, there will be a lot more losers than winners.

LOSERS

Air Canada employees: around 30,000 worldwide (down from 40,000 in 2002)

Travellers: especially business people seeking frequent flights to many destinations

Paul Martin: politician famous for managing economy would see a large employer and country's flagship carrier vanish on his watch

Most Canadian cities with fewer than 750,000 people: likely to see service cut or reduced

Greater Toronto Airports Authority: would lose its biggest customer just as it's pumped $2.4 billion into a grand new terminal

Cara food services: would lose its top client

Air Canada debt holders: unsecured creditors, mostly banks, are owed $2.7 billion, which will be up for grabs

Aeroplan members: what happens to all those points you've been collecting?

WINNERS

Buses, limos and Via Rail: particularly in the Windsor-Quebec City corridor

Short-haul carriers: especially WestJet, Air Canada's blood enemy

U.S. carriers: particularly American and United, which already fly to Canada and may be permitted to expand here

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/busin ... 9217_79217

If I may add to that article, I think that, as a whole, Canadian aviation professionals (regardless of airline of employment) would be able to count themselves amongs those in the loser's column. But that is just my opinion.
---------- ADS -----------

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

VIA has already been given loads of cash recently..

We'll all be losers...

But, is it better to be a loser Now/today or a loser tomorrow?

Why isn't anyone doing anything about this? Why is the Government creating a corp to take AC's place? Why isn't WestJet, Jetsgo not doing anything either?

We can see the demise of AC maybe we(someone) should get the ball moving so we have fewer losers???
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Air Canada”