New Duty Regs

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

nine sixteenths
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Duty Regs

Post by nine sixteenths »

bobcaygeon wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:05 pm
thepoors wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:38 am With the new CARs duty regs coming into effect for 704 in Dec 2022, I'm wondering if anyone knows what flight depts are planning on doing for scheduling.

Specifically regarding 700.119:
An air operator shall provide each flight crew member with the following time free from duty:
(a) at least 36 consecutive hours in 7 days;
and
(b) at least 3 consecutive days in 17 days.

The crucial part there being the "and". In my understanding that would mean no crew member could ever be scheduled for a period of more than 5.5 consecutive days.

Thoughts?
TC has advised/acknowledged that this is a typo. It should be "or" not "and". It's back to what the previous regs were.
This was actually corrected at the end of December 2023, they just snuck in a correction without a gazette or notation it was corrected.

It’s now reworded:
An Air Operator shall provide each flight crew member with one of the following periods of time free from duty:
A) at least 36 consecutive hours within each consecutive 7-day period
B) at least 3 consecutive days within each 17-day consecutive period
C) at least 4 consecutive days within each consecutive 19-day period
---------- ADS -----------

reachfortheskiies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by reachfortheskiies »

nine sixteenths wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:15 am
thepoors wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:38 am With the new CARs duty regs coming into effect for 704 in Dec 2022, I'm wondering if anyone knows what flight depts are planning on doing for scheduling.

An air operator shall provide each flight crew member with the following time free from duty:
and

The crucial part there being the "and". In my understanding that would mean no crew member could ever be scheduled for a period of more than 5.5 consecutive days.

Thoughts?
TC has advised/acknowledged that this is a typo. It should be "or" not "and". It's back to what the previous regs were.
This was actually corrected at the end of December 2023, they just snuck in a correction without a gazette or notation it was corrected.

It’s now reworded:
An Air Operator shall provide each flight crew member with one of the following periods of time free from duty:
Don’t forget the CAR 700.29

700.29 (1) An air operator shall not assign a flight duty period to a flight crew member, and a flight crew member shall not accept such an assignment, if, as a result, the member’s number of hours of work will exceed

(a) 2,200 hours in any 365 consecutive days;

(b) 192 hours in any 28 consecutive days;

(c) 60 hours in any 7 consecutive days if the air operator has provided the member with the following time free from duty:

(i) 1 single day free from duty in any 168 consecutive hours, and

(ii) 4 single days free from duty in any 672 consecutive hours; or

(d) 70 hours in any 7 consecutive days if the air operator has provided 120 consecutive hours free from duty, including 5 consecutive local nights’ rest, in any 504 consecutive hours and if

(i) the member is not assigned early duty, late duty or night duty,

(ii) the member is not assigned a flight duty period greater than 12 hours, and

(iii) the member’s maximum number of hours of work is 24 hours in any consecutive 48 hours.

Max hours of work in 7 days is 60 hours provided the air operator has provided 1 single day free from duty in any 7 days. Extra requirements to be met in paragraph (d) in order to increase that 7 day maximum to 70 hours.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

nine sixteenths wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:15 am

and

Thoughts?

It’s now reworded:
are you from the future???

Also don’t forget, CARs 700.1xx only applies to medevac operations.

Return to “Corporate”