Discrimination

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Discrimination

Post by flyinhigh »

I really cannot see why any crew member would allow a passenger to not obey them.

Things occur which get bad press, but I’m picking up the fact that this crew allowed a passenger to not follow a direct order to move from the seat, and than removed the other passenger.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/discrimin ... -1.6362249
---------- ADS -----------

JakeLRS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Discrimination

Post by JakeLRS »

Honestly, its not discrimination, more so poor decisions on the crew part.

The family who got the bad end of the stick are using the race card because of the incident. If any other family was in a similar situation, it wouldn't be titled as discrimination.

This is press flair continues to get...

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

JakeLRS wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:41 am Honestly, its not discrimination, more so poor decisions on the crew part.

The family who got the bad end of the stick are using the race card because of the incident. If any other family was in a similar situation, it wouldn't be titled as discrimination.

I have seen almost every Canadian airline run into it in similar situations. It is not exclusive to Flair.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Playing the race card is a cheap trick, and likely totally inaccurate, but who is this raging idiot who refused to move from a seat that wasn't theirs? Perhaps the cabin crew were being too meek, perhaps junior, but I know at my airline this would result in a red card for life for the twit.

straight2thepoint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by straight2thepoint »

Very clearly racism/discrimination as well as white privilege. The woman occupying the seat that shouldn't have been there should have been removed, plain and simple. If for no other reason than the seat assignment has to be paid for and she's travelling with a small child. Of course, when a black person reacts "oh, why are you angry?" and we then are the problem. Do better people, do better Flair

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

straight2thepoint wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:45 pm Very clearly racism/discrimination as well as white privilege. The woman occupying the seat that shouldn't have been there should have been removed, plain and simple. If for no other reason than the seat assignment has to be paid for and she's travelling with a small child. Of course, when a black person reacts "oh, why are you angry?" and we then are the problem. Do better people, do better Flair
White privilege isn’t a thing, stop trying to be divisive/racist.

accountant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by accountant »

8895 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:12 am
straight2thepoint wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:45 pm Very clearly racism/discrimination as well as white privilege. The woman occupying the seat that shouldn't have been there should have been removed, plain and simple. If for no other reason than the seat assignment has to be paid for and she's travelling with a small child. Of course, when a black person reacts "oh, why are you angry?" and we then are the problem. Do better people, do better Flair
HAHAHAHAH, I'm white and I know this is a thing. You're ridiculous if you think it doesn't exist.

Let me guess, you drive a Truck, have a F Trudeau sticker on the back, didn't get the vaxx, boycott Bud Light and will vote for Danielle Smith?

White privilege exists, and even worse, White male privilege. Give your head a shake if you think otherwise.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

This is such bizarre behaviour. There's definitely racism being shown here, just not the way the lady alleges.

Last edited by co-joe on Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

accountant wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:30 pm White privilege exists, and even worse, White male privilege. Give your head a shake if you think otherwise.
So true. I provide some examples here

(a) One of several job ads at a well-known university: - https://academic.ubc.ca/sites/vpa.ubc.c ... ltural.pdf

"The information you provide will only be used to determine whether you qualify for participation in this hiring process. Data will be collected by the Equity & Inclusion Office and only the names of those who identify as women, visible minorities (member of groups that are racially categorized) and/or Indigenous peoples will be shared with the search committee."

(b) Another university: https://research.utoronto.ca/crc-opps/d ... ecial-call

"The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. The Canada Research Chairs Program requires institutions to collect self-identification data from all applicants, following the program’s best practices. All applicants to this opportunity are required to complete this self-identification form. The data collected via this form will be held confidentially, separate from all other employment or personal data, and will be accessed only by the University’s Research Equity and Diversity Strategist."

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jamie- ... hite-males

accountant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by accountant »

pelmet wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:13 am
accountant wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:30 pm White privilege exists, and even worse, White male privilege. Give your head a shake if you think otherwise.
So true. I provide some examples here

(a) One of several job ads at a well-known university: - https://academic.ubc.ca/sites/vpa.ubc.c ... ltural.pdf

"The information you provide will only be used to determine whether you qualify for participation in this hiring process. Data will be collected by the Equity & Inclusion Office and only the names of those who identify as women, visible minorities (member of groups that are racially categorized) and/or Indigenous peoples will be shared with the search committee."

(b) Another university: https://research.utoronto.ca/crc-opps/d ... ecial-call

"The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. The Canada Research Chairs Program requires institutions to collect self-identification data from all applicants, following the program’s best practices. All applicants to this opportunity are required to complete this self-identification form. The data collected via this form will be held confidentially, separate from all other employment or personal data, and will be accessed only by the University’s Research Equity and Diversity Strategist."

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jamie- ... hite-males
Making up for the last 100 years. Sorry white guys, time for a change.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

JakeLRS wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:41 am Honestly, its not discrimination, more so poor decisions on the crew part.

Agreed. But if the article is true, it's very poorly handled by Flair though.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Floop
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Floop »

White privilege exists, obviously, but not sure how it relates to this specific issue. The FAs were not white, the passengers complaining were not white, and the passenger who refused to leave her seat was not white.

This was a poorly handled incident by the FAs involved, and maybe some anti-black racism was involved, who knows, but it wasn't white privilege. Just seemed like unconfident FAs who were pushed into making the wrong decision by a stubborn passenger, and other passengers had to pay the price for it. But honestly we don't know all the details, we know one side of the story. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a booking issue that had multiple people booked for the same seat. Wouldn't be the first time...

oakmoss1889
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oakmoss1889 »

Floop wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:11 am
White privilege exists, obviously, but not sure how it relates to this specific issue. The FAs were not white, the passengers complaining were not white, and the passenger who refused to leave her seat was not white.

This was a poorly handled incident by the FAs involved, and maybe some anti-black racism was involved, who knows, but it wasn't white privilege. Just seemed like unconfident FAs who were pushed into making the wrong decision by a stubborn passenger, and other passengers had to pay the price for it. But honestly we don't know all the details, we know one side of the story. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a booking issue that had multiple people booked for the same seat. Wouldn't be the first time...
It was a booking system issue. The family booked the front row, but that aircraft started at row 2. The lady who refused to move was in her correct seat (in row 2) which is why they only asked her to move, and not force her. Had nothing to do with race or unconfident FAs. Just an unfortunate booking/aircraft issue.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

accountant wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:30 pm
HAHAHAHAH, I'm white and I know this is a thing. You're ridiculous if you think it doesn't exist.

Let me guess, you drive a Truck, have a F Trudeau sticker on the back, didn't get the vaxx, boycott Bud Light and will vote for Danielle Smith?

White privilege exists, and even worse, White male privilege. Give your head a shake if you think otherwise.
I absolutely called it. LOL! You've been OUTED!

Female troll, likely jilted by a pilot. Now on a rampage vendetta.

Stay angry Sweetheart!

JayVee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JayVee »

I'm not seeing the "very clearly racism/discrimination as well as white privilege" part. The only racism part I see is in the article where CTV stated those involved were black and white. Rather irresponsible reporting. Unless there was something said by either party referring to race, one claiming racism can only assume a person's thoughts. (Prejudice)

To me it is more clearly that of an asshole with an undeserved sense of entitlement who should have been removed from the flight.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

JayVee wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:19 am
I'm not seeing the "very clearly racism/discrimination as well as white privilege" part. The only racism part I see is in the article where CTV stated those involved were black and white. Rather irresponsible reporting. Unless there was something said by either party referring to race, one claiming racism can only assume a person's thoughts. (Prejudice)

To me it is more clearly that of an asshole with an undeserved sense of entitlement who should have been removed from the flight.
Perhaps, but if it was a double booking as mentioned above, then that likely means both people paid for that particular seat. I would not be very happy or easygoing if I was forced to abandon the seat I paid for. Airlines can't keep squeezing every dollar out of you and then just randomly decide you won't get what you paid for.

It's almost fraud really. Selling something they know they can't deliver. Especially if it has happened before, then it's not an unexpected error.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

accountant wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:30 pm

Looks like you went 0 for everything on your assumptions about me LOL funny how intolerant the left in general has become in North America. You do know the definition of “liberal” right? Because libs these days are anything but :lol:

I do hate Trudeau, although at this point I think that debate is more of a low IQ vs everyone else instead of the left vs the right. Give your head a shake kiddo.

Return to “Flair Airlines”