I am still ready -

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: I am still ready -

Post by co-joe »

Dry Guy wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:44 pm Didn't a lot bargaining capital go to scope and eliminating Swoop? That's a pretty important thing.
This was the linch pin, If they couldn't get this in writing, no gains would matter because papa Onex would just paint the whole fleet Pink, or Orange and nobody would have the power to stop them. But we were all hoping WS MEC had the cojones to go after real wage increases. From here it looks like all they got was an inflation adjustment.
---------- ADS -----------

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Elton87 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:08 pm If scope was quantified with a % increase, was it worth 85% to match north American standard? Or even 35% to at least get us halfway there?
Maybe even more than 85%. Without scope you have nothing. The wage increase on top was a nice bonus. In 4 years you can gain much more.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Elton87 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:41 pm After all said and done, WestJet top scale captain (year 12) will still be less than Air Transat's year 11 top scale at $244,406.40.

$206,934.30 current × 1.155 = $239,009.10
And this already assumes the full average 15.5% increase, even though it is expected to be weighted less.

I hope / wish it is not as pessimistic as I am reading it. Refer to attached table.
Sorry are you even a WJ pilot? It’s a 24% increase not 15%. Granted some of it came from the WSP but your comparing it to a wage that never had 20%. You need to do apples to apples.

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

Bede wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:53 pm Sorry are you even a WJ pilot? It’s a 24% increase not 15%. Granted some of it came from the WSP but your comparing it to a wage that never had 20%. You need to do apples to apples.
You have six eggs. You crack two, cook two, and eat two. How many eggs do you have left?

Based on your comment, you would say no more eggs. Someone who can see the shells in a shell game would say four.

To make my point clear, if you are taking 10% that you were already making and having held for a year and getting it right away, you are not making 10% more. The increase is only 15%, which is +0.5% over inflation over the past four years.

Elton87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Elton87 »

Bede wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:53 pm
Elton87 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:41 pm After all said and done, WestJet top scale captain (year 12) will still be less than Air Transat's year 11 top scale at $244,406.40.

And this already assumes the full average 15.5% increase, even though it is expected to be weighted less.

I hope / wish it is not as pessimistic as I am reading it. Refer to attached table.
Sorry are you even a WJ pilot? It’s a 24% increase not 15%. Granted some of it came from the WSP but your comparing it to a wage that never had 20%. You need to do apples to apples.
Yes, I am.

Please read my original post again pertaining to WSP changes and what are its actual benefits (Para 4). Or refer to dontcallmeshirley's analogy.

For what it's worth, if you choose to view this 9.1% as a new wage increase, your total increase is not 24%, (15.5 + 9.1 = 24.5%) but rather 26% (115.5 x 1.091 = 126.015).

This is great news if you were not using the 20% WSP benefit previously (yes, I know someone personally who isn't) because without doing anything (matching), your pay will actually increase; or

For anyone else who cannot see how this money already belonged to you.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

dontcallmeshirley wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:57 pm
Bede wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:53 pm Sorry are you even a WJ pilot? It’s a 24% increase not 15%. Granted some of it came from the WSP but your comparing it to a wage that never had 20%. You need to do apples to apples.
You have six eggs. You crack two, cook two, and eat two. How many eggs do you have left?

Based on your comment, you would say no more eggs. Someone who can see the shells in a shell game would say four.

To make my point clear, if you are taking 10% that you were already making and having held for a year and getting it right away, you are not making 10% more. The increase is only 15%, which is +0.5% over inflation over the past four years.
That’s right but you don’t compare it to another airline with different retirement savings. Take the hourly rate, multiply by MMG, and add retirement contributions,

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

I'm not sure where you came up with these numbers but they are way off. This is why hourly pay rates don't paint the full picture. Top WJ hourly rate currently is $267/hr with the 20% match. With a 15.5% increase it will be roughly $308/hr. I agree that WJ's pay structure is wonky, and why it needed to be fixed, and was, with this agreement.

You can take 10% off that number as it will be company's retirement contribution, which in my opinion shouldn't be included.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Maritimer wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:57 am
I'm not sure where you came up with these numbers but they are way off. This is why hourly pay rates don't paint the full picture. Top WJ hourly rate currently is $267/hr with the 20% match. With a 15.5% increase it will be roughly $308/hr. I agree that WJ's pay structure is wonky, and why it needed to be fixed, and was, with this agreement.

You can take 10% off that number as it will be company's retirement contribution, which in my opinion shouldn't be included.
A total compensation snapshot before and after paints the correct picture. It probably can’t be done individually and be accurate because of swoop. You guys moved the bar a significant amount. Good job

RiskyBalloon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RiskyBalloon »

I apologize in advance, but I fail to see how this new agreement addresses the goal of coming closer to the 'North American Standard'. While our salaries will certainly increase, with proposed increases of 30+% south of the border we can't hope to keep up. US salaries are (for argument sake) almost double ours. So a 30% increase for them would effectively be a 60% increase when compared to a Canadian salary. Not even taking into account the exchange rate on the Canadian peso. While these numbers are just a ballpark I would come to the conclusion that by the end of this agreement the gap between WJ salaries and the "North American Standard" is only going to increase leaving us in a worse spot than we are now......Maybe I'm missing something but just my 2 cents.

Return to “WestJet”