Spectrum Airways

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Post Reply
TorontoGuy
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Toronto

Spectrum Airways

Post by TorontoGuy »

Anybody have experience with Spectrum, out of Burlington Airpark? I'm thinking of doing a rec permit there, followed up by the PPL.
---------- ADS -----------
 
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1973
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:01 pm

Post by mcrit »

hmmmmm..... not a horrible place but not the best either. Depending on where you live think about Brampton or Guelph. Both have better maintained a/c.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gybouski
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:41 pm
Location: oakville / sault ste. marie
Contact:

"rectum airways"

Post by Gybouski »

rectum airways is what a few of us and some of the employees call spectrum... but its just an inside joke. its not a bad place at all you just have to be kind of flexable. they usually only hire friendly instructors who actually have a sence of humor so its a fun atmosphere, just sometimes the ab-inito pilots there can have a 'rich kid' sence of attitude plus the interior of some of the planes can get a little ratty. they work fine its just not to apealing sometimes. or if you want to try a college program such as confed or soo college... (but thats if you want to go to college). try it out and see if you like it. and as posted earlier you can always try a place like brampton or guelph depending on where you live.
---------- ADS -----------
 
You must always push the limits. Because if you never fail, you will never succeed.
TorontoGuy
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Toronto

Post by TorontoGuy »

Thanks. I live in the heart of Toronto, so actually Brampton and Burlington are about equi-distant for me. As is Oshawa I have looked at Durham Flight School, too. Brampton's downside is the added expense of having to join the flying club immediately. Oshawa's downside is being at a busy airport. So Burlington had appeal in both those ways.

Any other info/comments would be greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------
 
seetrio
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:28 am
Location: Toronto,Canada

Post by seetrio »

Why wouldnt u go to to toronto island ? they have two schools there ? and im sure there closer than any other school ?
---------- ADS -----------
 
TorontoGuy
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Toronto

Post by TorontoGuy »

Awkward to get to, parking is expensive. I understand the practice area is a distance away. Pretty unappealing.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Blue_Rider
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: SAult ste. MArie

Post by Blue_Rider »

hey torontoguy!

I did all my PPl training at spectrum and I'd have to say i really enjoyed my time there. The flight school has a really casual atmosphere. I dought you will find it difficult to meet people and make new friends. They have a fairly sized fleet consisting of 152s and 172s. Therefore u shouldn't have a problem booking times which are convenient with regards to your schd. With every fligth school the planes are beat up cosmetically, but CZBA has maintance on the field, and they do a great job with the a/c. The paved runway has recently been extended 600ft and anotehr bonus is tha the airfield has a grass strip! :D
Really picking your flight school is half the battle, and you'll only get out of your training what you put in...
so
good luck
blue skies

p.s no time to spell check
---------- ADS -----------
 
[]D
Blue Side Down
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 11:27 am

Post by Blue Side Down »

You'll come out of Spec a pilot, but not a terribly spectacular one. It's a small (read:laid back) place, and the longer you hang around there, the more you'll realize that no one really cares. Mediocrity is standard and accepted. No striving for anything past average there. I lost interest in that type of atmosphere long ago. I mean- go big or go home... don't bother f*ing around. Generally the instructors are friendly people... although only about three out of the dozen I've known and trained with there were *good pilots who I would voluntarily fly dual with again if such a requirement would arise. I wonder about some of the others (younger I's) at times. In general- stay away from the new instructors if you know what's good for you. Ask for Peter if he's still around- he's a great instructor who has the skill to push you to excel if you're up for the challenge. If Pete isnt there anymore, Casey is also very good at what he does.

The plus side to Brampton is that they have a Super Cub... the downside to that is I hear they like pranging it a lot. Wherever you go- do some reserch first and ask questions- if you find place who's instructors try to bs answers to your questions- punch out of there quick. Look for substance wherever you go.

Good luck and Blue Skies
---------- ADS -----------
 
Where'd who go?
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:07 pm
Location: Here, wishing I was there.

Post by Where'd who go? »

Spectrum Airways is fine.

If you are looking for "high brow" then Brampton is the place to go.

Check 'em all out and see where you are most comfortable... you can always change schools at a later date, svp.

WWG
---------- ADS -----------
 
XLR8
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:23 pm

Spectrum Airways

Post by XLR8 »

You might also try Canadian Flyers in Marham. I did my ppl there about 6 yrs ago. No a bad place. Can't really comment on Spectrum. The closest I get to it is flying into Burlington every now and then.
One question you might ask is , what is the average time for a new pilot at your school to get a rec permit. The only real word of advice I can give is be very picky. It is your $$$ , don't let location alone make the descion for you.
---------- ADS -----------
 
When does the hurting stop?
TorontoGuy
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Toronto

Post by TorontoGuy »

The owner of the ranch where I'm horseback riding is taking his PPL at Spectrum. I talked with him this afternoon, and he's quite pleased with the place and the instruction. It was good to talk to someone who is training right here and now with them.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Flight Training”