the best drive

Post by Hysteria »

757 - powerful joy

A380 - quiet inside

737 - perhaps cramped but great all around

A319/20/21 - comfortable

King Air - fun

CRJ-200 - POS

Across other forums, these were some of the responses regarding the a/c listed.
There were other aircraft discussed beyond those above, of course.

What is the aircraft that, when you look back at your time on it, you smile or favor it over others?

Was it the aircraft on which you were the most senior?

Or was it the aircraft itself
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: the best drive

Post by flyinhigh »

Beaver.. hands down

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Mountain flying in and out of crap/nice weather? Beech 1900C :heart:

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Cargo falcon 20, best performer around for fun at night.

Me262
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Me262 »

What's so crap about a crj?

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

flying4dollars wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:08 pm Mountain flying in and out of crap/nice weather? Beech 1900C :heart:
I second this. 1900C even more fun hand flying than B200 King Air.

Hysteria
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hysteria »

Me262 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:11 pm What's so crap about a crj?
Me personally, I'm not saying it is good nor bad. Here is a post from another forum regarding the CRJ- 200 specifically. Keep in mind these complaints were not toward the CRJ 700 or 900.

"Why do I have to trick the bleeds into switching properly? One button half a second too soon? Everything is fucked. Deadheading in a window seat? Too bad there's a fucking wall where your feet go. Need anti-ice in a descent? That fucking sucks, the thing only has enough power to get the anti-ice to come on at goddamn 75% thrust. Descending with power in and spoilers out. Fucking brilliant. Put blowers in the thing so maybe everyone won't die when you shut the packs off to start an engine in PHX in July? Naw, @#$! that. Don't worry though, once the engine starts are complete, the cabin will cool down. Around the time you get to FL330, which will take around 2 hours because you had to level off at 230,250,270,290 and 310 to take a running start at the next altitude. And that's if you were one of the lucky bastards that actually had a working APU, even though that pile of shit didn't do half of anything anyway. You'd see people with their fucking lips on the gaspers trying to suck out whatever "fresh" air they could because the APU puts out air like an asthmatic breathing through a straw. Also, thanks, bumble-fucks at bombardier for not giving the thing slats. I just love 170kt GS approaches into Denver in the summer. Good fucking thing there's 12000' of runway, because once I flare from this stupid lawn dart 5 degree down approach angle, there's a pretty good chance I'm floating forever. Sure hope there isn't too much of a crosswind. Nothing says stability like main wheels that are 6 feet apart from each other. Taking off is a grand old time too. Flaps 8? Have fun with your 147kt vr speed in a plane you have to start flying at 50kts or the wind will pick up a wing and you'll wing strike the downwind wing that's only 3 feet off the ground anyway.

God I hate that thing."

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Pigboat flying aka CV14/ PBY-5A, yanking that fucker off a lake with 7000lbs of water sloshing around. I won't mention manual gear lowering, you have to do one at a time, manual stow of the dump doors, same thing both individually. If you have to do gear and dump doors same time, well it certainly isn't your day. Standing still water take off is an adventure forcing the old beast on the step takes quite a forward tug, wing floats are down of course, you would be surprised with amount of drag with them dropped. Get them up pronto as soon as you know you ain't going back on the water. Thank Christ wing floats are electric stow, war time beasts had to be cranked up and down in the coning tower, actually it was the flight engineer position. plenty of other fun stuff with it but won't bore ya.

PS. Thread is airline orientated , however my interest was twigged.
:drinkers:

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

The crj 100/200 were bad. They basically had stretched the 600 series and didn't bother changing anything up front. BBR got it right with the 700/900, slats and a redesigned wing. To.o bad they didn't change the wing on the 200 but, they froze the design. So no new changes

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

Metro 2: Cousin Vinny's $500 15 year old Honda Civic with mismatching panels and doors, but with a $600 growler exhaust and a $1000 subwoofer

Metro 3: The same, but on a Honda Accord.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

flyinhigh wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:25 am Beaver.. hands down
I shall raise you to a Basler.

Upgradeable
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Upgradeable »

Edited

Last edited by Upgradeable on Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Baby Caravan on Wip 8000 straight floats with a -12 Garret on the nose.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

The Cheyenne II, that thing was the same gross as a Chieftain but twice the horsies. Climbed like a homesick angel, always said if I won a lottery where I could afford my own, I would get a super Cheyenne, same fuselage, bigger tanks and -135a instead of the -28. Had to be derated for takeoff or it would flip over on its back but in cruise you had it all, the super upgrade also included EFIS if I remember correctly.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:53 am The Cheyenne II, that thing was the same gross as a Chieftain but twice the horsies. Climbed like a homesick angel, always said if I won a lottery where I could afford my own, I would get a super Cheyenne, same fuselage, bigger tanks and -135a instead of the -28. Had to be derated for takeoff or it would flip over on its back but in cruise you had it all, the super upgrade also included EFIS if I remember correctly.
I mean... if you're going Cheynne and like to climb.... how about the 400LS... -16 Garrets instead of those cute little Pratts. The thing still holds the record for time to climb (to 410!!!!) and speed in turbo props...

Hysteria
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hysteria »

Loving all the responses so far

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Gravel protected 737-200 with -17 or better yet, -17A engines. The sound alone is a crowd pleaser and lets the wife know to get rid of her boyfriend before you can get home.

Takeoff from a gravel strip somewhere north of 60, land at a major airport in the south on the same day. A joy to hand fly, best seat of the pants feeling of any aircraft, jet or otherwise, I have ever flown.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

porcsord wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:31 am
cdnavater wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:53 am The Cheyenne II, that thing was the same gross as a Chieftain but twice the horsies. Climbed like a homesick angel, always said if I won a lottery where I could afford my own, I would get a super Cheyenne, same fuselage, bigger tanks and -135a instead of the -28. Had to be derated for takeoff or it would flip over on its back but in cruise you had it all, the super upgrade also included EFIS if I remember correctly.
I mean... if you're going Cheynne and like to climb.... how about the 400LS... -16 Garrets instead of those cute little Pratts. The thing still holds the record for time to climb (to 410!!!!) and speed in turbo props...
I didn’t fly a 400ls but I didn’t like the T-Tail and composite props, I also don’t know enough about the short field performance and fuel consumption. Not to mention FL410 introduces some other issues like single pilot oxygen masks and RVSM.
The Cheyenne II was happy at 270, I think 250 was the best true airspeed, it’s been a while though, over 20 years since I’ve flown one. Could be I might not like it anymore, I remember the flight deck being tight but a hell of a short field performance

flyinhigh
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by flyinhigh »

TG wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:49 pm
flyinhigh wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:25 am Beaver.. hands down
I shall raise you to a Basler.
My back cringes thinking about loading 1 45 gal drum let alone the 20 in a Basler. Hahah, nope you can have that one, I’m a delicate flower. :smt040

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

My 170B ... It means I'm on a day off. :lol:

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”