Sunwing/Westjet

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Sunwing/Westjet

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Tony Soprano wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:13 pm
safetyfirst123 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:55 am Sunwing has arguably the best narrow body flying in Canada, with productive turns (8 or 9 flights in a month) or nice beach layovers all winter.
Do none of the other airlines in Canada have high credit single days and beach layovers?
Yes they do, and more of them. I don't know what it is about SW pilots that think they're the only ones with 9-12h credit days.
---------- ADS -----------

Aviator12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aviator12 »

Sunwing has arguably the best narrow body flying in Canada, with productive turns (8 or 9 flights in a month) or nice beach layovers all winter. There could also be some potential benefits to be brought in from the Sunwing contract as part of these negotiations if things are done properly. Sunwing has double pay on GDO's, generally excellent scheduling language, and other items that would be improvements on the current Westjet contract. Bringing some of these contractual improvements would benefit both pilot groups post merger.
You seem a bit biased towards Sunwing. Have you worked for WestJet or do you know the contract? I know lots of coworkers doing 9-10 days a month here at WestJet. Mostly 1 day turns. I personally don’t because I commute and prefer longer pairings. Usually end up with 15-16 days. Got 4 x 48hr southern layovers this month. You will be surprised to find with our bidding system here there is usually something for everyone. Not perfect but very lifestyle oriented.

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

Aviator12 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:48 pm
Sunwing has arguably the best narrow body flying in Canada, with productive turns (8 or 9 flights in a month) or nice beach layovers all winter. There could also be some potential benefits to be brought in from the Sunwing contract as part of these negotiations if things are done properly. Sunwing has double pay on GDO's, generally excellent scheduling language, and other items that would be improvements on the current Westjet contract. Bringing some of these contractual improvements would benefit both pilot groups post merger.
You seem a bit biased towards Sunwing. Have you worked for WestJet or do you know the contract? I know lots of coworkers doing 9-10 days a month here at WestJet. Mostly 1 day turns. I personally don’t because I commute and prefer longer pairings. Usually end up with 15-16 days. Got 4 x 48hr southern layovers this month. You will be surprised to find with our bidding system here there is usually something for everyone. Not perfect but very lifestyle oriented.
In fairness, I have heard that about Westjet. But yes, Sunwing has more of these productive turns system wide than Westjet, and are bringing in a lot of this leisure flying in the winter to the Westjet group. My point being that there are lots of positives on both sides, and this should be capitalized by both groups with the integration.

The variety of the combined flying will be nice to see for sure.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Just because you fly YYZ to CUN doesn't mean you will fly back to YYZ. Westjet will 100% not keep any 24-48 hr layovers on the narrow body.
That rarely happens here either

Hysteria
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hysteria »

Aviator12 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:48 pm
how many years does it take at WJ to get socialized bidding? Don't you have to do reserve for a few years first? How long on property to hold a block or be a lienholder at YYC or YEG ?

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Hysteria wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:47 am
how many years does it take at WJ to get socialized bidding? Don't you have to do reserve for a few years first? How long on property to hold a block or be a lineholder at YYC or YEG ?
It depends. Right now the group hired in Jan 2023 are on the cusp in most bases. For example, one fellow had a line in November but is back to Long Call Reserve in December.

In a particular base/position, the bottom 10% in seniority WILL get reserve. Between 10%-20% you MAY get reserve depending on what the Company's needs are. So the determining factor is how many people get hired after you and go into your position/base.

For what it's worth, the snapshot right now (which may be totally different a year from now) is:
YYC 10% - June 2023, 20% - Nov 2022
YEG 10% - May 2023, 20% - Mar 2023
YYZ 10% - Jan 2023, 20% - Aug 2022 (but I know for a fact that FOs from the first Jan 2023 class have gotten a line in Nov)
YVR 10% - Jul 2023, 20% - May 2023
YWG 10% - Jan 2023, 20% - May 2022

So there's no set timeline on how long a new hired will be on reserve. If you're in the bottom 10% you'll definitely get it. Once you get around to being out of the bottom 15% you may get a line in some months. If there is lots of hiring, then reserve won't be long at all. If hiring slows or stops, then you can plan on reserve lasting longer.

Hysteria
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hysteria »

JBI wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:12 am
Hysteria wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:47 am
how many years does it take at WJ to get socialized bidding? Don't you have to do reserve for a few years first? How long on property to hold a block or be a lineholder at YYC or YEG ?
It depends. Right now the group hired in Jan 2023 are on the cusp in most bases. For example, one fellow had a line in November but is back to Long Call Reserve in December.

In a particular base/position, the bottom 10% in seniority WILL get reserve. Between 10%-20% you MAY get reserve depending on what the Company's needs are. So the determining factor is how many people get hired after you and go into your position/base.

For what it's worth, the snapshot right now (which may be totally different a year from now) is:
YYC 10% - June 2023, 20% - Nov 2022
YEG 10% - May 2023, 20% - Mar 2023
YYZ 10% - Jan 2023, 20% - Aug 2022 (but I know for a fact that FOs from the first Jan 2023 class have gotten a line in Nov)
YVR 10% - Jul 2023, 20% - May 2023
YWG 10% - Jan 2023, 20% - May 2022

So there's no set timeline on how long a new hired will be on reserve. If you're in the bottom 10% you'll definitely get it. Once you get around to being out of the bottom 15% you may get a line in some months. If there is lots of hiring, then reserve won't be long at all. If hiring slows or stops, then you can plan on reserve lasting longer.
Thanks for the response, that makes perfect sense.

Return to “Sunwing”