Westjet FO take home pay

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Franky Jr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Westjet FO take home pay

Post by Franky Jr »

JBI wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:11 am 2nd Year 737 FO

Last few months average out to ~$7,700 per month take home (not including REIP as I came from Encore).
I very rarely pick up Open Time but do occasionally and also have a pairing finish after 2am the next day which triggers 4 credits of Premium, but most months in that average do not include OT.
How do you take home more than you gross.... Year 2 is $88.65, you work 80 hours that is $7092 gross, add the $305= $7397. Do you have a deal where you pay no tax? (if you add $1000 per diem you would then be at a 10% tax rate to get to this $7700 mark)
Paystubs please cause I need a better job if this is true. - you may be working on more days off than you let on -
---------- ADS -----------

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

This is also why I asked for a paystub.

Also. Just to confirm. We are talking “take home pay” correct? As in NET, in your bank.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

A couple further comments on my previous post.

I'm at 2nd step (after completion of one year and my rate is $88.65). I realize that the initial poster was asking about take-home at MMG and my apologies as what I posted wasn't MMG. It was also a rough average as I did very quick back of the napkin math regarding REIP, taxes and a couple crew pay error/corrections that have been on my cheques. It was just a quick look back at the last few pay cheques.

I most certainly will not be posting a pay stub on AvCanada, but will try and provide a few more details about the pay. Trust me, there's no intent to mislead nor brag (I've made more money in a previous job but also worked WAY more - I'm quite content with the pay/work balance at the moment).

The first note is that most months I've been blocked over MMG at initial schedule release. Section 8-8 of CA2 outlines that the scheduling window is for between 75 and 90 credit hours for each line holder. Crew Scheduling will aim to block you between those amounts and I've been scheduled higher than 77.5 a few times.

Next, after looking over my past few pay stubs/schedules, I DID shift trade a few times in the past few months. When you look at the drop/trades/pick-ups I've made it's worked out that I have been net positive on the hours each month but that's not necessarily been the intent. The trades haven't resulted in me working more than 16 days in a month though, just ending up with more hours than MMG. One day of the shift trade pick-ups was on a vacation day so that made the schedule even more efficient (I had already spent the week at the cottage and enjoyed my vacation).

There are guys who will work much more than 16 days in a month and that's up to them and they'll make even more money. There are also pilots who will trade significantly more than I do, I find that being able to move some shifts around to fit my schedule works nicely. Some months/schedules are more "trade-able" than others.

I did one high credit single day Open Time pick up (almost 8 credit hours at 1.5x pay), I was in a different part of the country visiting family and was able to pick up some flights that managed to get me home.

As mentioned in the original post, I also had another pairing get extended quite late which triggered an additional 4 hours of premium pay (an additional $530 of pay).

So, a month with blocking above MMG, an open time pick up or pairing extension and a few extra hours due to shift trading and suddenly it's an extra 10 - 20 credits of pay above MMG while still working below 16 days.

Finally, the November pay does include Profit Share which was a pleasant surprise and did bring the average net pay up.

Add in the stock option stipend of $305, per-diems between $800-$1100, dry cleaning allowance of $50.

Re-looking at the averages with a little more precision, the average is closer to $7550 than $7700 for the last 3 months. That's the net amount that goes in my bank account and doesn't include REIP, so the actual net amount is higher than that.

So while yes, the average is more than MMG, it's not based on massive amounts of overtime or working lots of extra days each month and profit share does skew the average up but it's still pay in the bank.

Cajon Pass
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cajon Pass »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:12 pm This is also why I asked for a paystub.

Also. Just to confirm. We are talking “take home pay” correct? As in NET, in your bank.
I’m with JBI here, won’t be pasting a paystub. But yes, net pay, MMG numbers, no shift trade, no overtime, just 10 or 11 days of work per month based on what was awarded and some per diem. The November total did have some profit share which certainly helped with the increased take-home. I’ll also add the October total posted I was still paying EI/CPP from a previous leave, so that total would have been higher.

The OP asked about net wages, so here we are posting. Working some OT and picking up higher credit shifts will add to these totals obviously, but it’s certainly much better take-home with the new CBA than it was previously, although not as much income is going into the WSP now. It’s up to the individual to save or invest as they see fit.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Cajon Pass wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:11 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:12 pm This is also why I asked for a paystub.

I’m with JBI here, won’t be pasting a paystub. But yes, net pay, MMG numbers, no shift trade, no overtime, just 10 or 11 days of work per month based on what was awarded and some per diem. The November total did have some profit share which certainly helped with the increased take-home. I’ll also add the October total posted I was still paying EI/CPP from a previous leave, so that total would have been higher.

The OP asked about net wages, so here we are posting. Working some OT and picking up higher credit shifts will add to these totals obviously, but it’s certainly much better take-home with the new CBA than it was previously, although not as much income is going into the WSP now. It’s up to the individual to save or invest as they see fit.
Cool. Thanks for the info :)

Aviator12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aviator12 »

Second year pay scale Sept-Nov (6 pay periods) my average take home was $8100/month. This includes a couple days of OT in sept and profit share in Nov. Also includes per diems. Without profit share and the couple days of OT I figure it would be around $7400/month take home.

Return to “WestJet”