What's with all the geeks on the street at Pearson

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What's with all the geeks on the street at Pearson

Post by JHR »

CPU2000 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:20 pm Lol...World wide pilot shortage, a training system at over max capacity and pilots are getting fired for wearing a lanyard.

This kind of logic helps me explain my pay check :?
BINGO!
Good luck all!
---------- ADS -----------

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:36 am
daedalusx wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:10 am
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:57 am Lots and lots of guys still on probation too that aren’t wearing the new lanyards.

That being said, the title and original post reek of someone trying to troll.
Do you really believe AC would fire a new hire for wearing an ALPA lanyard?
The red one? Yep. The blue one? No. Don’t underestimate the lengths this place is willing to go to in order to set an example.
That would be hilarious if AC management actually did that. I would gladly volunteer to be fired for wearing a red lanyard while on probation to be made an example of. That would be extremely short sighted and show such poor decision making by management. Could you imagine how much it would further infuriate an already pissed off pilot group? And guaranteed any pilot let go for wearing a red lanyard during probation would reinstated by the end of contract negotiations. I think a fearful mentality of AC management is exactly why the contract has become so dog shit from decades of concessions and has dragged down standards for our entire industry.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

fixnfly wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:09 pm
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:36 am
daedalusx wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:10 am

Do you really believe AC would fire a new hire for wearing an ALPA lanyard?
The red one? Yep. The blue one? No. Don’t underestimate the lengths this place is willing to go to in order to set an example.
That would be hilarious if AC management actually did that. I would gladly volunteer to be fired for wearing a red lanyard while on probation to be made an example of. That would be extremely short sighted and show such poor decision making by management. Could you imagine how much it would further infuriate an already pissed off pilot group? And guaranteed any pilot let go for wearing a red lanyard during probation would reinstated by the end of contract negotiations. I think a fearful mentality of AC management is exactly why the contract has become so dog shit from decades of concessions and has dragged down standards for our entire industry.
Not trying to propagate the fear, however AC would not fire you for wearing a red lanyard, they could however look for anything else to hand their hat on. AC has a very long probation, it’s a long time to be on your best behaviour, don’t underestimate the vindictiveness of management

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

RippleRock wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:47 am NOT ONE person will be penalized for wearing the RED lanyard. It is the Union's right to display it.

As long as it isn't offensive, the Corp has ZERO case against it. Listen to your MEC CHAIR. Negotiations are going on right now. DO AS YOU'RE TOLD. Pick up the rope and pull.

Do your share.

If you aren't prepared to do something as small as wear the red lanyard, you can be damn sure you won't be doing what needs doing come time to strike....and it IS coming.
Ripple in all fairness I do not have a red lanyard yet as I have not had the opportunity to meet any P2P guys nor attend any info pickets due to schedule/personal obligations. But to say that guys like me who can't do something as small as wear the red lanyard, won't do what needs to be done come picket or other is absurd. I am willing to stand shoulder to shoulder with all my brothers and sisters if and when that time comes as much as the next pilot and a lanyard, while I still wear the blue one, isn't going to determine that for me. I am not the only one. I have only flown with one individual who is against the movement. That's a pretty good indication of unity if you ask me.

Army of one
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Army of one »

This is not a scolding
I’m hoping it’s reflective

Wearing RED helps your MEC
Helping your MEC helps YOU
Helping your MEC helps lift you, helps lift me
Helping you, me, it helps everyone around us
Helps everyone behind us
It helps our families
It helps our kids

Wear RED

Btw, a quick call to ALPA and it’s in the mail

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Army of one wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:22 am
Btw, a quick call to ALPA and it’s in the mail
Why didn't they just mail one to every member anyway?

Getting people organized to do something is already very hard. Every step, even little insignificant ones such as a phone call, will cause you to lose some engagement.

If a red lanyard shows up without any effort on the member's part, you'll have much more chance for success.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

flying4dollars wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:11 am
RippleRock wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:47 am NOT ONE person will be penalized for wearing the RED lanyard. It is the Union's right to display it.

As long as it isn't offensive, the Corp has ZERO case against it. Listen to your MEC CHAIR. Negotiations are going on right now. DO AS YOU'RE TOLD. Pick up the rope and pull.

Do your share.

If you aren't prepared to do something as small as wear the red lanyard, you can be damn sure you won't be doing what needs doing come time to strike....and it IS coming.
Ripple in all fairness I do not have a red lanyard yet as I have not had the opportunity to meet any P2P guys nor attend any info pickets due to schedule/personal obligations. But to say that guys like me who can't do something as small as wear the red lanyard, won't do what needs to be done come picket or other is absurd. I am willing to stand shoulder to shoulder with all my brothers and sisters if and when that time comes as much as the next pilot and a lanyard, while I still wear the blue one, isn't going to determine that for me. I am not the only one. I have only flown with one individual who is against the movement. That's a pretty good indication of unity if you ask me.

I'm not buying what you're selling.

The first red lanyards were available 10 weeks ago at the YYZ picket on the 29th of September. That means that for no less than 10 weeks, people have had the opportunity to get one. Most people wearing one have an extra one in their bag, just ask. Every Union rep has multiple.....haven't seen a single Union rep in 10 weeks? Really? Sending a message to any rep that you want one will have one in your mail slot in two days.

Sorry, not buying this "excuse"........If you don't have a red lanyard by now, 10 weeks in, you're sending a message to your brothers and sisters who are wearing one........, AND the company.

Do us a favor if you're not going to step up.......don't get in the way of those of us who do.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

RippleRock wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:21 am

The first red lanyards were available 10 weeks ago at the YYZ picket on the 29th of September. That means that for no less than 10 weeks, people have had the opportunity to get one. Most people wearing one have an extra one in their bag, just ask. Every Union rep has multiple.....haven't seen a single Union rep in 10 weeks? Really? Sending a message to any rep that you want one will have one in your mail slot in two days.

Sorry, not buying this "excuse"........If you don't have a red lanyard by now, 10 weeks in, you're sending a message to your brothers and sisters who are wearing one........, AND the company.

Do us a favor if you're not going to step up.......don't get in the way of those of us who do.

First wearing the AC lanyard and not the blue ALPA lanyard was bad. Now wearing the blue ALPA lanyard and not the red WCC lanyard is bad? Just because I haven't acquired the red lanyard yet, doesn't mean when I do, I won't wear it. Do not make assumptions and more importantly, stop discriminating guys over the color of the lanyard they wear. You say I'm not stepping up because of that and I should get out of your way? I have done many things that you haven't seen to support the cause, participated in ALL of the surveys and spread the message to all of the ones who haven't all while proudly donning my ALPA lanyard. You realize I'm rowing with you right? I honestly love your passion but I think you're getting ahead of yourself on this one.

Last edited by flying4dollars on Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Airbusses
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Airbusses »

Haha yeah I had my red one on in sim the other day... No brass around though. It's a pretty common theme though that pilots want the red one but can't get their hands on one. Last P2P guy I flew with was all out.

Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

flying4dollars wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:11 am

Do your share.

I think your timeline is off… I don’t think anyone got the red lanyards at the YYZ picket… more likely YUL on Oct 30. I didn’t get mine until mid November, as I happened to run into an FO I’d worked with a few times who’s on P2P, and happened to have one to give (and only one!).

I agree with your sentiment, but don’t blame those who haven’t had a chance to acquire one yet.

lucky37
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lucky37 »

flyinhigh wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:06 am It’s a lanyard, does not mean they don’t support the cause.

My ALPA days I never wore it as the ALPA lanyards are just crappy. My preference is clips at the end of the lanyard, not a hard plastic loop.
I never wear lanyards usually; only the use a metal clip. I hate lanyards. HOWEVER, during these negotiations, I am wearing my ALPA lanyard.

It does matter, to show solidarity. I can only assume that someone who is not wearing a lanyard does not care enough to overcome a slight inconvenience to themselves. I would have zero confidence in those individuals fighting for me or others.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." -Nietzsche
bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

The first red lanyards were available 10 weeks ago at the YYZ picket on the 29th of September.
This is false. The union was handing out blue alpa lanyards at the Toronto picket. Red ones weren't available to anyone at that time.

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

lucky37 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:40 am
flyinhigh wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:06 am It’s a lanyard, does not mean they don’t support the cause.

My ALPA days I never wore it as the ALPA lanyards are just crappy. My preference is clips at the end of the lanyard, not a hard plastic loop.
I never wear lanyards usually; only the use a metal clip. I hate lanyards. HOWEVER, during these negotiations, I am wearing my ALPA lanyard.

It does matter, to show solidarity. I can only assume that someone who is not wearing a lanyard does not care enough to overcome a slight inconvenience to themselves. I would have zero confidence in those individuals fighting for me or others.

Ditto. Hate them, but wearing a red one now. Every little bit helps.

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

Rooster69 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:43 pm
lucky37 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:40 am

Ditto. Hate them, but wearing a red one now. Every little bit helps.
I hope you take back everything you lost plus interest boys.

What's the timeline to start seeing results from your solidarity?

ReturnoftheMike
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ReturnoftheMike »

Greetings Peons,

It is with pleasure I see the rank and file at the Centre of the Universe getting anxious about the prospects of wearing a lanyard. It is clear the ways of the old ACPA boys still resignates as pilots live in fear of colored fabric.

While the revolution may seem promising to you confused children, the results will only find failure under the association of treasonous Americans. They may have the highest paid pilots, but how much flying have they captured

The only thing World Class around these parts is Executive Compensation and it is imperative to maintain the class structure:

Pilots = serfs
Execs = demi gods

This social structure is imperative in order to maintain the 2023 Travvy award "Pirates of the Atlantic" for being the worst compensated flag carrier pilots crossing the Atlantic.

This comes after receiving the 2020 award of being the lowest paid polar route pilots earning this group the prestigious "Frostback" trophy

These accolades may seem insignificant to many but it is imperative we do our part to maximize executive bonuses. While it was ACPA's mandate to milk the membership dry, it is clear seeing the lack of red lanyards that there are still loyalists among us. My devoted colleagues, keep up the hardwork and soon garbage truck drivers will be looking down at us. What a feat this will be

Please make your support of world worst working conditions by clipping on your identification or being more obvious with a company lanyard. We can only rise higher together if we ask nicely for better things. Please don't fret if the company offers pennies on the dollar to their pilots because we can always "get'em next time"

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by ReturnoftheMike on Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

I believe the word you’re looking for is “serfs” not “surfs”.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

Col. Panic wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:42 am I believe the word you’re looking for is “serfs” not “surfs”.
lol

ReturnoftheMike
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ReturnoftheMike »

Col. Panic wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:42 am I believe the word you’re looking for is “serfs” not “surfs”.
Colonel,

Don't Panic.

Your attention to detail is noted. The only surfing will be for the Executives as they cash in their bonuses.

Your faithful support is appreciated.

Cheers, Mike

unionism101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by unionism101 »

If our MEC Chair can stick her neck out, talk on National TV, write messages defying company memos, the LEAST you can do is wear your damn lanyard

No excuses.

"Not a lanyard guy"

Become one

"Lanyard is too long"

Fix it

"I don't want attention"

Welcome to the unionized world. If you aren't willing to make very minimumal risks of wearing a lanyard, don't expect North American standard wages

It's going to have to be earned and every one of us needs to man/woman the F up. Every inch counts

https://youtu.be/9zGu4vTg_6k?feature=shared

Return to “Air Canada”