Merger and bases

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Merger and bases

Post by garfield »

Hello,

With the merger do you think all the actual bases of Sunwing will stay open?
---------- ADS -----------

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Merger and bases

Post by nohojob »

The only few persons who can answer this question are not supposed to answer it.

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

garfield wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:36 pm Hello,

Once the merger is complete, I highly doubt it.

Guaranteed bases for post-merger WestJet will be YVR, YYC, YEG, YWG, YYZ. There is a fair chance for YUL.

Any other bases are unlikely.

Don't trust me, this is only based on current WestJet mentality.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

dontcallmeshirley wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:16 pm
garfield wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:36 pm Hello,

Once the merger is complete, I highly doubt it.

Guaranteed bases for post-merger WestJet will be YVR, YYC, YEG, YWG, YYZ. There is a fair chance for YUL.

Any other bases are unlikely.

Don't trust me, this is only based on current WestJet mentality.
If I was a betting man, I’d bet on YUL staying open. Plenty of flying there to justify a small base, plus it would be a pilot retention/recruitment move against AC and finally the politics of shutting down a YUL base after closing YQB base would be tarnishing the Sunwing vacation brand and enticing the Quebecers to book their 700$ Cuban all inclusive with Transat or AC. WJ has already left a bit of a sour taste with Easterners with the removal of a lot of Eastern routes last year…
AVH has also publicly stated that he liked the idea of multiple smaller bases like in Europe.
That being said, just because it makes sense to me doesn’t mean it makes sense to Onex.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
MaxAuto
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MaxAuto »

In order for the deal to go through, yul must stay open. Also there is a large customer base there and French qualified crew. Quebec customer are loyal to Sunwing.ca and selloffvacations.com, not Sunwing Airlines. That's where they purchase and will most likely continue to purchase vacation packages.

Abandoning YUL by making them commute or quit would be a terrible decision by management.

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4life »

YUL is staying open. It’s been confirmed

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

MaxAuto wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:26 pm Abandoning YUL by making them commute or quit would be a terrible decision by management.
You must have forgotten that WestJet pulled the Qs out of Toronto and stopped flying YYZ to YUL, YOW, NYC, ORD, BOS, YQT.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

pilot4life wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:44 am YUL is staying open. It’s been confirmed
Confirmed by ?
Was there an official release from management?

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

I am very curious as well to know your source.

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4life »

Airbrake wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:28 am
pilot4life wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:44 am YUL is staying open. It’s been confirmed
Confirmed by ?
Unofficial. I know…hard to believe someone on a forum. I would have the same suspicions. Believe what you want but it’s happening .

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Confirmed by ?
WJ management or SWG management? SWG management has a habit of telling their pilots whatever it takes to get them off their back. Remember, "there will be no changes with the sale", "there won't be any merger", and "we'll be doing Hawaii flying for WestJet"?

It's not just SWG management. Any management will tell you something to reassure you today knowing full well they'll be doing damage control tomorrow.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Bede wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:40 am
Confirmed by ?
WJ management or SWG management? SWG management has a habit of telling their pilots whatever it takes to get them off their back. Remember, "there will be no changes with the sale", "there won't be any merger", and "we'll be doing Hawaii flying for WestJet"?

It's not just SWG management. Any management will tell you something to reassure you today knowing full well they'll be doing damage control tomorrow.
I suppose a lot depends on how much market share Sunwing has in YUL and whether or not they keep operating under the brand. Other factors would be how many crews would be in hotels which is really where the base vs no base comes in to play and the only people that know the answers are not likely sharing that information.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Bede wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:40 am
Confirmed by ?

Kinda hard to pin that one on SWG management. It was to be the plan - but the new Westjet CBA kicked that one to the can

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

I suppose a lot depends on how much market share Sunwing has in YUL and whether or not they keep operating under the brand. Other factors would be how many crews would be in hotels which is really where the base vs no base comes in to play and the only people that know the answers are not likely sharing that information.
I dont think YUL will go anywhere. Sunwing does more flights out of YUL than anywhere else. Just over 14,000 last year. There is a huge brand loyalty and they will not let that go.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

The WJ COO has indicated that they are committed to a YUL crew base once the integration is complete. What that looks like remains to be seen.

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4life »

There you have it.

Return to “Sunwing”