Back into flying

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

ipaul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Back into flying

Post by ipaul »

I'm a commercial multi IFR rated pilot with 680 hrs. I haven't flown since 2019 but looking to get back into it and build a career. Please guide
me as to how to get current and how to get around to getting a job these days. From what I can see the job market is strong.
---------- ADS -----------

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Back into flying

Post by EPR »

First step, renew your medical, then I think you will need to rewrite the IFR exam, then renew your IFR either in a single or Redbird sim, if you want to keep costs down? A PPC with your new company will renew your single engine to a multi-engine.

Keep the dirty side down.
nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

If you're over 5 years, I guess you need to write the PSTR and do a flight review with an instructor. That would be the first step.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

nohojob wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:19 am If you're over 5 years, I guess you need to write the PSTR and do a flight review with an instructor. That would be the first step.
PSTAR, and Medical renewal first, then;

If it hasn't been 5 years since you last flew (as PIC or SIC) go now, don't let that 5 year date roll by. If it has then you are not "recent" and need to do a flight review with an instructor. This part sucks, you'll have to show an instructor that you meet the skills of the license that you hold. It's supposed to be train to standard, but lots of schools will want you to be CPL flight test ready.

The IFR renewal is easy by comparison if you had one to begin with, just an IPC in a Red Bird or similar.

PomaryLinea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PomaryLinea »

The job market is indeed strong for pilots!

Update your resume and online profiles (LinkedIn, etc.) Highlight your flying experience, qualifications, and anything relevant during your break (transferable skills?).

Job boards: Explore platforms like AOPA Career Center, AviationJobSearch.com, or company websites of airlines and charter operators. Network with former colleagues or industry contacts.

Be prepared for interviews: Research common airline interview questions and brush up on your aviation knowledge.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”