704 CA or 705 FO ?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

flyingsquirrel777
Rank 0
Rank 0

704 CA or 705 FO ?

Post by flyingsquirrel777 »

Hi all,

As I have my ATPL (currently at 1600TT, 250MPIC pistons from northern 703 and 500Multi-turbine time), I was looking for your advices on what would be a better move at the moment. I am in YVR, and since I've spent almost all my life in here I would like to stay in YVR with AC as my endgoal whenever eligible.
In that way, am I better building up 704 Multi-turbine PIC time first or try for a 705 jet FO position right away?
If I were to apply for 705, how competitive am I looking for Porter E2, Westjet or even Flair?

Any help appreciated, cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: 704 CA or 705 FO ?

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

You meet the minimums for Westjet, Flair and Porter on the jet already. A 737 or Embraer type rating is nice to have but if the right 704 job comes up in Vancouver, that's a nice place to be until AC calls you back.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

I think going either 704 Captain or 705 FO would be good experience for your application to AC. A 705 might be a better option as it might be a good place to stay if AC doesn't work out. Westjet is currently filling spots for their YVR base. But honestly, getting those 2000 hours TT should be a priority as it pretty much means a guaranteed interview with AC. They were hiring a lot of PC12 captains last year with the minimum requirements, so you would meet/exceed what they're looking for as long as you can pass the medical and in person interview. I did hear a rumor that they are considering lowering the 2000 hour requirement down to 1500 hours, so keep you eye on the job posting requirements. Also, don't work for or even apply to Jazz if you want to go to mainline as once they know, they'll stop the AC interview process and you can expect to add an additional 4-5 years before you can move on from the regional.

up on one
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by up on one »

It’s great to have AC as an end goal and either path will get you there. My mindset has always been to pursue the flying that will bring you the most amount of joy while at work. On top of that I ask myself if the industry shits the bed will I be happy here, in this seat for the next ten years knowing that our industry is cyclical. Historically, aviation as a whole experiences a downtown every ten years, give or take, so it should be in the back of your mind.

With that perspective, personally, I would choose a 704 captain position. You will learn a lot about yourself and develop skills that will often stagnate in the right seat. If we experience a down turn in the next five years you will bring far more value to any operator with the added experience of actively making decisions and applying critical thinking as a pilot in command.

My two cents

Happyflyer78
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Happyflyer78 »

up on one wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:46 am It’s great to have AC as an end goal and either path will get you there. My mindset has always been to pursue the flying that will bring you the most amount of joy while at work. On top of that I ask myself if the industry shits the bed will I be happy here, in this seat for the next ten years knowing that our industry is cyclical. Historically, aviation as a whole experiences a downtown every ten years, give or take, so it should be in the back of your mind.

With that perspective, personally, I would choose a 704 captain position. You will learn a lot about yourself and develop skills that will often stagnate in the right seat. If we experience a down turn in the next five years you will bring far more value to any operator with the added experience of actively making decisions and applying critical thinking as a pilot in command.

My two cents
Which 705 operators value extensive King Air PIC experience?

goingnowherefast
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by goingnowherefast »

All of them. At the end of a recession, when hiring picks up again, a bunch of 704 PIC looks better on a resume.

Airlines hire future captain, they're not really interested in career FOs. A bunch of PIC time means the person is already making decisions and likely to be a future captain.

A mix of both seems to be a golden ticket. Some 705 time and some PIC time. The likes of Pasco and Perimeter can upgrade their 705 FOs to 703/704 captains.

flyingsquirrel777
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingsquirrel777 »

Thanks for all your help, very appreciated

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

704 PIC without a doubt. At 250 MPIC, you really don't have any command experience. Most of us that have it can attest to how much the experience does for you not just on the resume, but as a professional aviator. You really learn a lot about yourself as others mentioned, not to mention strengthening your skills and knowledge as well as CRM. Maybe it leads you into a role as a trainer which further grows your skillset.

Currently there is a high failure rate for captain upgrades at AC and it is primarily candidates that have no prior command experience. Get the command time, make some extra money doing it and enjoy the responsibilities that come with that seat position. It's extremely gratifying. Not to mention, if the industry ever took a turn for the worst again (and as we all know, it will one day again), you could possibly be competing with tons of other pilots looking for work. The PIC time never gets overlooked, but the 705 right seat time will.

Good luck!

Return to “Employment Forum”