New maintenance contract

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New maintenance contract

Post by boeingboy »

Inverted2 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 am 2% raises? That’s a huuuge paycut when inflation and tax increases are way higher. Vote that sucker down!
No kidding right? It's not even being presented to the group for a vote. The Bargaining unit rejected it outright.
The first offer was 3.5%, 2%, 2%, 1%, 1%

Westjet came up a whole 2.5% over 5 years. Thankfully the pilot group (mainline) got a better deal in short order. I guess they figured if they screwed the Encore pilots - then the AME's would be just as easy. I'm just glad our deal is done.
---------- ADS -----------

YYCAME
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YYCAME »

Canadian North and Porter AMEs have seen their wages increased to $50+ because of the competition for staff. Air Canada also recently gave out an unprecedented $7.50 an hour (roughly 16%) increase to the top end pay effective immediately outside of the current agreement with the only condition that people accept certain training such as ground run/taxi etc if offered to them in the next couple years. In addition, new hires are being immediately being paid near the top of the pay scale with only a couple years to max out pay instead of the traditional 5 year/step model.

Westjet maintenance is working much harder for less money then anyone else these days and the previous loyalty and goodwill is only going to buy you a certain amount of time in the face of reality.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

YYCAME wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 am Canadian North and Porter AMEs have seen their wages increased to $50+ because of the competition for staff. Air Canada also recently gave out an unprecedented $7.50 an hour (roughly 16%) increase to the top end pay effective immediately outside of the current agreement with the only condition that people accept certain training such as ground run/taxi etc if offered to them in the next couple years. In addition, new hires are being immediately being paid near the top of the pay scale with only a couple years to max out pay instead of the traditional 5 year/step model.

Westjet maintenance is working much harder for less money then anyone else these days and the previous loyalty and goodwill is only going to buy you a certain amount of time in the face of reality.
What is j-man rate for AMEs at WS if you don't mind putting this in perspective?

planenuts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planenuts »

Paling compared to others out there. Rates are on the rise everywhere as there is a real shortage of AME's in this country. Many are leaving for higher paying jobs in other sectors with much less responsibility. Like everyone else in Canadian aviation....we have been underpaid for far too long. I think the only ones worse off than us industry wide are the cabin attendants.

WJ scale.jpg
WJ scale.jpg (311.26 KiB) Viewed 1403 times

Last edited by planenuts on Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YYCAME
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YYCAME »

Maybe someone else can give the exact details but my understanding of it from friends is that Westjet has a much longer progression to get to top rate so a lot of people are paid somewhere in the low 40's per hour.

johnkruk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by johnkruk »

Top ACA is 46$ and change , plus 10% ACA premium , plus 20% savings plan , when you add it all up it equals 60$ an hour , which management says is more than anyone else therefore no significant raise is justified .

planenuts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planenuts »

johnkruk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:19 pm Top ACA is 46$ and change , plus 10% ACA premium , plus 20% savings plan , when you add it all up it equals 60$ an hour , which management says is more than anyone else therefore no significant raise is justified .
Except that 10% ACA premium is not linear - starting at 3% i believe, getting to 10% in year 7.....which is crap. It should be 10% period.
Also - dont get me started on the WSP - it's a gimmick - at best you might call it a bonus, but both it and the RRSP plans are poor and should not be included in your wages.

planenuts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planenuts »

Hold on to your hats boys....

STRIKE VOTE AUTHORIZED

Unless the company comes up with considerable wage and quality of life increases there will be turbulence ahead.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

planenuts wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:24 pm Hold on to your hats boys....

STRIKE VOTE AUTHORIZED

Unless the company comes up with considerable wage and quality of life increases there will be turbulence ahead.
Lock out notice from WJ also. 11th hour meetings surely happening as we speak.

I don’t know much about the AME world but this is kinda relatable to how airlines in the past have dealt with their unions

Return to “WestJet”