Q400 Ground School Prep?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TowPIC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Q400 Ground School Prep?

Post by TowPIC »

Greetings all,
Was looking for some guidance from Porter peeps who may have knowledge regarding the Q400 side of things.
2 questions (from someone with no 705 experience):
1. Are there any strategies/materials you would recommend learning or reviewing in order to be best prepared for ground school?
2. Is there a good deal of pre-ground school work/indoctrination material that must be completed prior to the ground school?
Would really appreciate any info.
Many thanks in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Q400 Ground School Prep?

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

TowPIC wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:07 am Greetings all,
Was looking for some guidance from Porter peeps who may have knowledge regarding the Q400 side of things.
1. Are there any strategies/materials you would recommend learning or reviewing in order to be best prepared for ground school?
2. Is there a good deal of pre-ground school work/indoctrination material that must be completed prior to the ground school?
Many thanks in advance!
I know it’s very exciting to get hired at your first 705 job but my advice is to try and just wait until the first day of groundschool. Everything that you need will be given to you on day 1. Apart from dress code and showing up, there is little expected of you on day 1. Pre-studying might actually hinder your development due to learning things that don’t apply to porter operations.

If you really can’t stop the itch, I would say reading a little bit of the plane systems is cool but don’t try and memorize emergencies or SOPs cuz frankly, they could be vastly different. All that comes in time.

Ozinater
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ozinater »

Many thanks in advance!
Do you have any two crew experience? I would recommend reading the SOP because you have access to that before your first day of ground school (particularly if you’re coming from a “single pilot” background). It would be advantageous to you to at least be familiar with it (even if you haven’t read the whole thing) when you show up on day one, it’s not a requirement though. There is a lot to digest in there and it saves you the headache of trying to read it for the first time outside of your 6-7h of ground school a day, practicing flows/memory items, completing LMS modules/quizzes etc.

I don’t recall there being anything to complete in terms of GS material before you show up- I don’t think you even have access to the website that has all the material and quizzes at that point. I think they just asked us to get the ball rolling on our security clearance/RAIC application paperwork so it could be signed and submitted fairly early on.

TowPIC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TowPIC »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:52 am
Many thanks in advance!
I know it’s very exciting to get hired at your first 705 job but my advice is to try and just wait until the first day of groundschool. Everything that you need will be given to you on day 1. Apart from dress code and showing up, there is little expected of you on day 1. Pre-studying might actually hinder your development due to learning things that don’t apply to porter operations.

If you really can’t stop the itch, I would say reading a little bit of the plane systems is cool but don’t try and memorize emergencies or SOPs cuz frankly, they could be vastly different. All that comes in time.
Noted. Really appreciate the insight, thank you!

TowPIC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TowPIC »

Ozinater wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:20 am
Many thanks in advance!
Do you have any two crew experience? I would recommend reading the SOP because you have access to that before your first day of ground school (particularly if you’re coming from a “single pilot” background). It would be advantageous to you to at least be familiar with it (even if you haven’t read the whole thing) when you show up on day one, it’s not a requirement though. There is a lot to digest in there and it saves you the headache of trying to read it for the first time outside of your 6-7h of ground school a day, practicing flows/memory items, completing LMS modules/quizzes etc.

I don’t recall there being anything to complete in terms of GS material before you show up- I don’t think you even have access to the website that has all the material and quizzes at that point. I think they just asked us to get the ball rolling on our security clearance/RAIC application paperwork so it could be signed and submitted fairly early on.
I have minimal two-crew experience, but do understand (at least generally) SOPs and how they are structured, flows, memory items etc. I do intend on being very diligent in absorbing/memorizing everything I need to when the info is presented. Thanks very much for the response!

meowernaut
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by meowernaut »

Within 2 weeks of your gs date you should get the SOPs as well as access to your LMS modules. Try to study the SOP and get though some LMS modules before ground school. If you leave your LMS modules to complete during ground school, it will be a really REALLY uphill battle as there is tons to cover.

LR200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LR200 »

Reviewing your SOPs will consume most of your studying. To be honest that’s what I’d mostly go through. Knowing the order at which things happen is really important (the SOPs break it down pretty nicely). Section 1 is pretty general items, Callouts and so forth, section 2 and 3 will be the most important. Normal ops and emergencies.

You’re gonna hear it a million times “have your takeoff briefing memorized in the that the SOP lays out.

FOM is a large document but take the time to go through it as well.

Systems will be covered in GS, just try to take your notes in class. You can always go through the training slides which are in FOA world.

Return to “Porter Airlines”