Single engine Take-off alternates

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

pitot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Single engine Take-off alternates

Post by pitot »

Quick question. When you need a S.E T/O alternate do you have to file one in your flight plan with A.T.C or is it just good enough to have one in your head, or have proof you had one incase something happened. Like some weather at the airport you are using? I have had this discussion with a few people and got 2 different answers. Or what about when your destination is less than an hour away and it works as an S.E alternate, is that good enough, or do you have to file that in your flight plan as well?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

justplanecrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by justplanecrazy »

Correct me if I'm wrong but aern't t/o alternates simply OC based? I think it would probably depend on what's written in your OC/company ops.

We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.
— Dr. Herbert Haynes, Federal Aviation Authority.
split s
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by split s »

In most cases u would just have it in your head and be able to prove it if asked! If you have the OPS spec and your flight is within one hours range, your ass is covered(concidering the WX).

Hey bubbles,get me some of those dressed all over chips!
PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it 60 mins multi engine and 30 mins single engine ? as per the the t.o. mins...

PoC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PoC »

It goes on your flight plan in the remarks section. Why in hell do you want to keep it a secret? Besides, 624.23 a) refers to reduced take-off minima and states that a take-off alternate shall be specified in your IFR flight plan.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

PA31 driver: Depends if you are operating 703 or 704 or 705.

703 it is 60 min on 2 engines.

704/705 it is 60 min on 1 engine.

split s
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by split s »

703-- 60 minutes on 2 engines? Hard to do in a caravan or pilatus. I think it depends on the company's ops spec's, I think all 4 s/e operators around here have the 60 min t/o spec.
PoC, if you are fileing a flight plan I believe you are correct, but, if you have center stored flight plans, which is the way I was thinking, the center doesn't even know what your IFR alternate is, never mind a t/o alternate.

Hey bubbles,get me some of those dressed all over chips!
PoC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PoC »

splits
I see now where you are coming from. In the case of airline ops then the T/O alternate still has to be recorded prior to departure on the OFP. Whether that piece of info is sent to NC or not by dispatch when flight plans are filed I am not entirely sure but the fact remains that it is written down and on record and not just sitting in someones head.

pitot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitot »

I had asked the FSS weather guy when I was filing a flight plan the other day and he said he doesnt even have a spot to enter the alternate on his CPU. I asked him if people usually file one and he said he has rarely if ever had anyone file a S.E T/O alternate. PoC when I said sitting in someones head I meant you have checked weather and have weather or some kind of proof you have looked for and found an alternate. Just maybe not recorded it on your OFP. Sorry if I was unclear.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

split s wrote:703-- 60 minutes on 2 engines? Hard to do in a caravan or pilatus. I think it depends on the company's ops spec's, I think all 4 s/e operators around here have the 60 min t/o spec.
Correct me if I am wrong but if you are flying a caravan or a pilatus can you go, I am going by wildcountry in yrl when I was up there, case they couldn't go if the weather was bad enough due to being single engine.

yes I agree though 703-60 min 2 engines

Return to “ATS Question Forum”