What's up with YYZ this morning !

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

What's up with YYZ this morning !

Post by PA31 Driver »

Flew into YYZ early morning and noticed something i thought didn't make sense.....Most of the aircraft were beening de-iced @ the icing bays due to the weather ( which is fine ) but why in gods name would rwy 23 be used for departures & 24r for arrivials.....
that had to cost a pretty penny to the companies for taxing back accross the field for T.O.

Just some thing I thought about while i was waiting to go...
---------- ADS -----------

jonathan_tcu
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jonathan_tcu »

When I monitored East Radar and Simco's freq's in Peterborough during the past 2 summers, I've heard pilots requesting rwy 23 for operational reasons. Just a silly stupid guess on my part, maybe the ATC personel is making a pro-active consideration for the pilots and could be volume of traffic in that given hour. :?

FSS wannabe, just curious about stuff, that's all
YYZ Tower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZ Tower »

When we use one runway for arrivals and another for departures we normally land 24R and depart 23 or land 05 and depart 06L. This actually reduces the average taxi distance rather than increase it.

If you landed everything on 23 the traffic destined for T2 would have to taxi about 4 miles. The longest taxi we have on our normal operations is from landing 24R to T3 which is about 2 miles. Granted T2 departures going to 23 have to taxi 3 miles, but if they're going through de-icing anyway it almost 50-50 from there.

This choice of runways also reduces the number of cross-overs that taxiing traffic will encounter and so eases workload for ground. Traffic leaving de-ice will normally route via 33L rather than back toward the terminals and up E or A.

We do get a lot of requests for 23 operational and so this is another factor in our thinking. Funnily the requests for 05 operational seem to be much less.

Traffic permitting, arrivals will be offloaded onto the departure runway and departures may get the closer runway. We're very aware that you don't want to taxi huge distances but the overall flow will not be compromised for trhe convenience of one.

When both runways are being used for both arrivals and departures (dualling) then flows have to be as close to normal and congestion and/or extended routings may occur.

When there's a lot of de-icing and line-ups are occuring we will put everybody in one line on E which means traffic from T2 and T1 will initially head north on A to join the back of the line on E. I've seen this line stretch the full length of E, across 33R at H, all of A and onto D. Rare but it happens.

jonathan_tcu
Rank 2
Rank 2

Pearson operation question

Post by jonathan_tcu »

I learned something new about that. Speaking of flows and runway assignments, if there is a sudden wind change half past the hour, I assume Pearson will issue a special ATIS and runway assignment, as though it was similar to announcing sudden special IFR or MVFR conditions, right?

YYZ Tower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZ Tower »

The ATIS should be updated to reflect the new conditions or operation as soon as possible. More often than not the runway change will be a sudden event that has not been advertised. This is when ground control really earns their $$$ as there is seldom a good time chosen for a runway change.

PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

What i meant was if aircraft are at the de-icing bays being de-iced wouldn't it be quicker from them to taxi to 24r for departure rather then taxi to 23 ? ...

like i said it was just a question..... i'll talk to you boys/girls at yyz again saturday morning.....

jonathan_tcu
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jonathan_tcu »

Ah, the ground control people get to change their departures I guess? Does this mean ground control clears the aircrafts without hotlining terminal and amendments are made after the aircraft is airborn in the hands of terminal right?

YYZ Tower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZ Tower »

jonathan
There are a lot of people higher up making decisions that we have to make happen on the field. Everything is closely coordinated so nobody is left out of the loop.

PA31 Driver
Like I said in my answer to your question, there's not much difference between the distance from the west side of the CDF to 23 or 24R. 23 has its benefits and that's why we use it. See you next weekend.

PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

thanks yyz tower......

Return to “ATS Question Forum”