ATC Training Wait Times

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

BlueandYellow
Rank 0
Rank 0

ATC Training Wait Times

Post by BlueandYellow »

Anyone know the current wait times between interview and training start for IFR and VFR controllers?

I've been asking around but haven't been able to get a good answer. The NavCanada info line girl couldn't tell me anything more than the website did. I've heard that wait times for VFR are longer than for IFR because there are more VFR applicants.

BnY
---------- ADS -----------

If you're falling to your death, be sure to do some tricks on the way down.
Zatopec
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Zatopec »

Check out this site:

http://www.local5454.com/community/boards/

You'll probably find your answer or else able to ask.

On a different note, I had to wait five weeks for FSS.

Zatopec
_______

He who has his ear to the ground has his ass exposed
bigfssguy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bigfssguy »

When i went through back in '02 i did the interview Dec 4th, was offered a course spot jan7th and started my course mar 10th. It all depends on the companies needs and how you scored and where you sit on the applicant list.i have heard of people waiting over a year while some barely finish the interview and a week later they are offered a course. Every situation is differnt so it would be hard to generalize. Kinda like the entire job really be it FSS, VFR or IFR. Also VFR takes longer to get into due to the fact they run less courses (they likely need fewer trainees cause they are in a better staffing situation).

FSS: puting the Service back in Flight Services....
Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

Wait times are very different depending on how you did on the test/interview, how many people are applying, how many people they need, etc.

Personally, I took my test on the 10th of March, and started the Generic IFR course Mid-September of the same year.

I've also heard of people taking 2-3 years to get offered a course due to issues in getting the security accepted, and some people never get offered a course even if they passed both the test and the interview.

BlueandYellow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BlueandYellow »

Well thanks. It sounds like I should get ready to wait a while. Durnit. I guess I should find a decent job while I wait. Yipee.

If you're falling to your death, be sure to do some tricks on the way down.
MCA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MCA »

yeah, and raise some funds 'cause it's going to take a while before you actually get paid. that's a big deception for all.

I'm intercontinental when I eat french toast
Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

I wouldn't say it's a deception at all. When I had my interview they told me strait up that if I went IFR I would be 10-14 months in training with no pay. Looks for us like it will be closer to 8, so I don't see how they deceived me at all.

MCA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MCA »

well, it seems that the SHL lady at YUL had absolutely no clue about this, because 1-she and 2- the website both stated a timeline that was way shorter than what we are actually having here!
but anyway, i wouldn't go back. it will eventually pay sooner or later.

I'm intercontinental when I eat french toast

Return to “ATS Question Forum”