CYYZ resource problems today?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mjm
Rank 0
Rank 0

CYYZ resource problems today?

Post by mjm »

The ATIS on CYKF today had a special note regarding VFR flights through the CYYZ airspace having delays due to a resource issue.

Anyone know what this was about? It's the first time I've heard anything like this (granted my I'm pretty fresh).

Mark
---------- ADS -----------

mculshaw
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mculshaw »

This happens often during the summer time.
Maybe too many people called in sick or "sick" today and they are short staffed.

mc

RufusXavierSasparrilla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RufusXavierSasparrilla »

Actually...

A little bird told me that there was one sick call (or maybe he was "sick" as someone above so eloquently put it), but....due to the weather (severe VFR with a temperature more likely found in the month of May), another controller was also to be called in due to the anticipated increase in VFR traffic. Management "couldn't find anyone to come in" (seeing as there quotation marks are being used quite liberally indicating another meaning). Therefore, staffing was 2 bodies short and restrctions had to be put in so that traffic could be kept to a safe level. Interestingly enough, when the restrictions were put in place and the NOTAM was issued, management magically recruited 2 controllers to come in early for there evening shift. HMMMMM!

This is now referred to, in Nav Canada's terminology, "reduced system capacity". It seems they didn't like general aviation being told that are were staff shortages when there in fact are...staff...shortages. So they came up with the new terminology.

And that's the end of my story.

Nav Canada
"Where Safety Is Priority Number One....Unless It Costs Us Money"

Return to “ATS Question Forum”