I'm wondering if she's still flying?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

GoingBoing
Rank 0
Rank 0

I'm wondering if she's still flying?

Post by GoingBoing »

Back in the 70's I flew a couple of Norseman MK 5. The REG were C-FSAN and C-FSAM. I think they were X SK Govt. machines. Anybody know if they are still operating?

Thanks

A point to ponder. In a Boeing at FL350, with the FMS/GPS/INS we always know where we are going. When I flew bush I saw where I was going, and that I miss.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

FSAN is listed as being owned by Buffalo Airways. No listing for FSAM as a Norseman, though...

Search the Civil Aircraft Register

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Here is a picture of CF-SAN in Yellowknife Sept 2005. From airliners.net

GoingBoing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Norseman

Post by GoingBoing »

Thanks, she looks pretty good. I have a few pictures of her from the 70's. If I can find them, my son says he knows how to post them here.

Thanks Again

chancellor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chancellor »

I think FSAM is in a museum somewhere in Saskatchewan. Think it got taken in a tear or two ago. :D

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Whats the ident on the Norseman at the museum in Edmonton? At least I think it's a Norseman..

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

You may be able to find some more information from this fella:

Noorduyn Norseman Web Page

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I think SAM is in the Western Development museum in Moose Jaw, along with a Cessna 195, CF SAV

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Was through Moose Jaw and the lovely CF-SAM was there in the western development museum.

Theres 2 norseman in edmonton.. Ones on a stand outside the other inside.. can't remember the idents.. .. and I checked em out while stuck at YXD last weekend..

DEL
Rank 3
Rank 3

CF-SAN & CF-SAM information

Post by DEL »

Information came from the Noorduyn Norseman web site: http://www.norsemanhistory.ca/

Information about CF-SAM:

N29-27 CF-SAM

Registered to Saskatchewan Government Air Ambulance Service, Regina, Saskatchewan on September 19, 1946 as CF-SAM. Re-registered to Saskatchewan Government Airways, Prince Albert, Sask. on June 14, 1950. It was one of three aircraft modified with a belly exit to allow the dropping of the Saskatchewan Smoke Jumpers when on floats. The other two being CF-SAH (c/n 21) and CF-ECF (N29-37). In 1962 the aircraft was swept over a set of rapids above Nistowiak Falls, Saskatchewan. The wings were removed and a road cut through bush in order to move the aircraft back to safe water. Here it was reassembled, the floats repaired and flown out. Later the same year, departing Pinehouse, Sask. with a load of fish on board, the engine failed and the aircraft crashed in bush. It suffered substantial damage and pilot Wally Homersham received minor injuries. It was salvaged the following winter, transported to Prince Albert Sask. for rebuild and returned to service. Re-registered to Saskair, Prince Albert, Sask. (Company name change) in 1964. Registered to Norcanair, Prince Albert, Sask. on September 3, 1965 when they bought out Saskatchewan Government Airways. Registered to Dolphin Airways, Lynn Lake, Manitoba on December 17, 1965. Re-registered to La Ronge Aviation, La Ronge, Sask on January 4, 1967 when they bought out Dolphin Airways. Registered to Nipawin Air Service, Nipawin, Saskatchewan on December 20, 1967. Registration cancelled on July 15, 1976. Bought by Ag Air Company, Latah, Washington and was destined to be stripped for parts . The Saskatchewan Tourist Association and the Western Development Museum stepped in and purchased it. It has since been restored, painted in the original Air Ambulance gold and green colors and is displayed at the Western Development Museum, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. In 1982 the aircraft, in Air Ambulance colors, was featured on a Canadian sixty cent postage stamp. As of April 29, 1974 total time was 12,908 hours.

Information about CF-SAN:
N29-29 CF-SAN

Delivered to Saskatchewan Government Department. of Natural Resources, Regina, Saskatchewan and registered on October 5, 1946 as CF-SAN. Registered to Saskatchewan Government Airways, Prince Albert, Sask in 1947. Damaged at Ile-A-La Crosse, Saskatchewan on June 16, 1960. Aircraft was taxied downwind for takeoff. Turning back into wind the right wing dipped into the water and the aircraft tipped forward and capsized causing considerable damage. Pilot George Greening and passenger both escaped injury. Re-registered to Saskair, Prince Albert, Sask. in 1964. (Company name change) Registered to Dolphin Airways, Lynn Lake, Manitoba in 1966 and then in 1968 to Ontario Central Airlines, Kenora, Ontario. Registered to Ilford-Riverton Airways, Winnipeg, Manitoba May 28, 1971. (Lease from Samuel Breen) Registered to Northland Fisheries, Winnipeg, Manitoba on May 12, 1972. Again registered to Ilford-Riverton Airways on June 7, 1973. (Lease from Northland Fisheries) Re-registered to Northland Fisheries in early 1974 and then on June 4, 1974 to Ignace Airways, Ignace, Ontario. It was registered to Simpson Air Ltd, Fort Simpson, NWT. on August 10, 1978. Registered to R. and M. Smith (Sportsman’s Outfly Air Charter Service), Armstrong, Ontario on July 11, 1979. Again registered to Simpson Air Ltd. in 1980. Suffered substantial damage when it crashed at the Fort Simpson, NWT. airport on December 15, 1981. Take off was attempted with frost on wings and the aircraft overturned. C of A expired on August 12, 1982. Shipped to Calgary, Alberta for rebuild but found to be beyond economical repair and donated to the Calgary Aerospace Museum in 1993. Sold to Joe McBryan (Buffalo Airways) later the same year. The aircraft has since been rebuilt and registered to Buffalo Airways, Hay River, NWT. Current as of April 2004.

PITA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PITA »

CF -SAN looks good. Nice to see the old girls still working
I like how it is colour co-ordinated with the dock.

Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Over the Horn »

CF -SAN looks good. Nice to see the old girls still working
I like how it is colour co-ordinated with the dock

I think she's working hard at hardly working from what I hear she's Joe's baby, worth taking a look at though beautiful plane :D

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Flybabe wrote:Whats the ident on the Norseman at the museum in Edmonton? At least I think it's a Norseman..
Here she is outside the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton. From airliners.net 8)

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

You know, that there is a beautiful piece of machinery. Classic, classic, classic.

I will never get to fly one - I envy those of you that get an opportunity to operate one! :smt023

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
swede
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: I'm wondering if she's still flying?

Post by swede »

GoingBoing wrote:Back in the 70's I flew a couple of Norseman MK 5. The REG were C-FSAN and C-FSAM. I think they were X SK Govt. machines. Anybody know if they are still operating?

Thanks

A point to ponder. In a Boeing at FL350, with the FMS/GPS/INS we always know where we are going. When I flew bush I saw where I was going, and that I miss.

Cheers
Last time I saw SAN was when I delivered it at the dock at Watson lake Flying Service in summer of '80. Jiminy Close (part owner of WLFS) took one look at it and exclaimed - "Get that thing the hell out of here!" and then had another drink. The owner of SAN ( at that time some outfit from Ft. Nelson) was rather po'd when he found out it was running on one mag. It had crapped out on the way over and believe me, that machine on one mag was definitely the fastest thing on water. I had to drop off a charter load enroute and it was not a pretty sight trying to get that sucker off the water for my second last flight in it. I guess it went back to Ft. Nelson after that, cant say I was too broken hearted to see the inside of a DHC 2 after flying that particular stone boat. They were definitely not a fit for the tight lakes and rivers we were used to going in and out of in B.C., that A/C and pilots would have probably had an untimely demise had it stayed.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

It was an interesting read about CF-SAM and the accident with Wally Homersham. Wally was in the same Air Cadet squadron that I was in Regina and recieved the Air Cadet flying scholarship one year before me. I remember hearing about the accident and was relieved to hear Wally was OK. Does anyone know of his whereabouts? The last I heard he was a corperate pilot out of YYZ.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
gapper
Rank 3
Rank 3

is she still flying?

Post by gapper »

I know of a norseman at the museum at Moose Jaw. If I am not mistaken it IS SAM. This mseum has a wonderful section commemorating the training of pilots for WW2. Allot of retired gentlemen spend thousands of hours restoring a Cessna Crane and an Anson. I am not sure of the MK of the Anson,but it is one that has a rear/upper turret. (beautiful workmanship)

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

The one on the pole in Edmonton, HPY sn N29-52, used to belong to Northern Wings. We sold it to Slate Falls Trading Company (Slate Falls Airways) in the fall of 1962 or 1963. I remember the guy who came to pick it up was amazed it had a Janitrol heater in it. They were apparently going to use it primarily to haul fish, so a janitrol was a luxury, I guess. It was wrecked on skis in 1965 or so. I think Joe McBryan bought the wreck in the early 90's with an idea to either restore it or use it as spares.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

There is a Norseman mounted on a pedestal in Red Lake. I heard of an American tourist refer to it as a "Cessna on a Stick" I thought that was funny.

SAHS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: I'm wondering if she's still flying?

Post by SAHS »

CF-SAM is at the Western Development Museum of Transportation in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
CF-SAN is owned and operated by Joe at Buffalo Airways as a private aircraft.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”