US ATP conversion

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

miffed
Rank 1
Rank 1

US ATP conversion

Post by miffed »

I was hoping someone would have some information on what is the best way to go about converting my Canadian ATPL into the American equivalent. I understand I need a letter of authorization from a Flight Safety District Office in the US before proceeding, but in terms of what is the best study guide/ flight school for the ride etc.
I'm in the Toronto area. Anyone have any experience with this? I'd appreciate some insight.
---------- ADS -----------

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

First, you need to get a class 1 FAA medical. This is done easiest at the same time as your Canadian aircrew medical by a doctor who is qualified to do both, such as Appleford in Toronto.

Next, you need to write the FAA ATP computer exams, either part 135 or 121, your choice, little or big aircraft respectively.

Next, you need to do a flight test in a multi-engine land aircraft. No recommendation from an FAA CFI is required. Your FAA ATP will only be valid for MEL. If you want SEL another ATP ride is required.

All the gory details are at:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/te ... .2&idno=14

You are the holder of a "foreign" ICAO ATPL.

miffed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by miffed »

Thanks for the info.
Would the Part 121 exam be the more beneficial one to write?
Any experience as to which study guide is the best?
ASA, Gleim, Jeppeson?

Return to “Flight Training”