Bamaji Air Inc

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

dash2/3
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bamaji Air Inc

Post by dash2/3 »

wonder who's going to take the 150/day to be based out of Echoing lake? it is a beautiful lake with some of the clearest/cleanest water and finest fishing you'll find in ALL of Ontario, but really now, at the end of the day you're north of Sachigo with sweet f@*k all around you, on a "band-owned" business venture, we all know those types of operations and how they're run.... they "couldn't organize a one car funeral", or as it's been said, "couldn't organize a gang-bang in a whorehouse". anyway, i'm sure someone will bite and lower the bar...

end of rant...
---------- ADS -----------

CFMartin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Bamaji

Post by CFMartin »

Bamaji Air is a decent operation, but as Dash2\3 says...The place they wish to base the Beaver at is not exactly paradise. It also makes the maintenance facilities a little far. I would believe it is worth a lot more than that. A hundred and fifty is pretty much standard pay. I would gladely accept that with lodging, based in Sioux, but out of a camp? Wait a minute....

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

Hey Dash2/3, how did you make out with nesting the canoes?

Didn't recognize the name of the lake in this topic until I noticed Sachigo in the post and then I remembered that I flew there a few times last summer in the Caravan and Otter.

I don't think it would be so bad, probably lots of time to go fishing and nothing to spend the money on except when you come down for maintenance, and then it's party time! I spent a summer in Webequie a few years back with Niigaani and had a blast. Easiest job I ever had!

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

There is nothing wrong with $4500/mo plus free food and lodging and the possibility of tips! We're talking about Bush Flying ... a venue which often entails working out of remote locations - not necessarily a cushy town like Red Lake or Sioux Lookout where there is a departure road.

If you want to discuss lowering the bar, you may wish to investigate the recent posting for a Navajo captain/Chief Pilot paying $3,000/mo.

Sachigo is a small place - population approximately 500, with three main families prevailing. However, if you are able to comport yourself in an unassuming, non-condescending and open manner, you will find the native population there to be very open and friendly with a warm sense of humour.

Yes, the air service is somewhat disorganized, in part due to the aircraft being owned by the community of Sachigo who are divided about its fate, and the fact that the operation is running under the Operating Certificate of another company located in Sioux Lookout. So one may have to accept things with a bit of humour in order to get over some of the day-to-day hassles one might encounter. However the operation (and the pilot) is required to abide by the CARS just the same as anyone else, and accordingly are held accountable for their actions.

Echoing lake is a short flight from Sachigo, where several sked flights arrive/depart daily, 7 days a week. This means that mail, supplies, parts and mechanics are fairly accessible. And Sioux Lookout/Red Lake are not THAT far for god's sake.

Any job is what you make of it, and if you're only in it for the money, or you require the amenities of a town this type of situation may not be for you. However if you're doing it to fly a great airplane, and acquire a few stories to tell your buddies about over a few cold ones, and maybe get to know some of our northern neighbours, who knows - you may just have a bit of fun.

Note, if you have a low patience threshold, or are lacking in a sense of humour, best stick to city flying.

Cheers,
Snoopy

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
JTP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTP »

The best flying and the most fun I've had was flying off of a northern reserve. Much more challenging than lodge outpost flying not to mention more variety. The people are great if you don't come off as some know it all from the city and like snoop mentioned most have a great sense of humor and like to have fun. Its not for everyone but the time and the experience a person can gain as a human-being and career wise can be priceless.

dash2/3
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dash2/3 »

don't get me wrong guys, i too lived fulltime on a remote reserve for 2 years and flew for a band owned airline and operated on floats and wheel-skis in all the "challenging" conditions you speak of but, it is was it is, if you're tired of the mundane lodge-work, yes giver a go.

the point i'm trying to make is that companies want to hire "experienced" drivers and insurance companies have such ridiculously high high minimums... when will the pay adjust accordingly? why would a guy with a few thousand hours under his belt go to such a place for the money mentioned when you have operators such as jazz/ac/georgian etc having lower minimums and much better working conditions? lets be real, the romance wears off. you soon want more in life. would i leave my current cushy gig and take contracts as a "hired gun" (so to speak) for a fair wage? maybe, but not where this one is for 150/day. anyway, if seasonal gigs are your thing, no family ties etc, or you're a social recluse, take it. remember.. it is what it is... i know all about what scratch-and-go, rat dam, big trout, severn,peawanuck, round etc... well you get the point, has to "offer"

echoing lake was like a jewel in the area, second to none fishing, amazingly clean clear water, etc. whoever takes it, i hope will savor it, and keep a good head about themselves. yes i'm aware that the CARS apply to everyone but like i said, remember where you are, you will be pressured, not necessarily by they operator, i'm sure they are on the up and up. i'm talking about the customers/locals who are nice people but remember, YOU are the PIC, just because the machine is owned by the band, there are certain expectations that come with that. hopefully the operator out of the Sioux will not just "leave you to the wolves" so to speak. i'll take a guess it's SFA holding the OC. if so, you are in great hands, and have little to worry about in the grand scheme of things. if it's being run by anyone with anything to do with the folks out of the winnipeg area whom are "on a mission" if you know who i'm speaking of then, well you have my blessings...

C-GQNN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Bamaji Air Inc

Post by C-GQNN »

I'll take it for the 2008 float season. $150/day sounds great if they'll hire me (300TT and only 24 float)... I don't think I'm a whoreing myself at that rate am I?

Cadismack
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cadismack »

Crap I'd do it for $149 a day, but then again I am a little less qualified than you, only 250TT and 20 hrs float....

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

$150 a day is a joke.

I was going to rant here, but decided to make it a thread of its own.

See the $150 a day for a float pilot thread in this forum.

PA-18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PA-18 »

olivierw
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by olivierw »

Hey sorry to stir up an old topic. I'm just wondering if anyone has anything to say about echoing Lake 8 years later.

I just went there today (I work in kenora and we had a charter to echoing Lake). I really want to fly a beaver next season and the chances that will happen in kenora are close to none. Ive worked out of lodges before. I like it better in town but I'll take whatever to fly a beaver.

Do you know what they were asking. I've got 400 TT 200 wheels and 200 floats.

Any info is appreciated.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”