Toronto Airways.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Toronto Airways.

Post by Tango01 »

Hello everyone. Can anyone give me some info about training at Toronto Airways please? Is it a good FTU? Bad?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks

T01
---------- ADS -----------

Timing is everything.
tequesta
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tequesta »

As with any flight school - it depends on which instructor you fly with. Some are good some not so good. Good things - CFI is a great guy, busy airport so lots of good experiences in a controlled environment, TC on site, flight test examiners on site, no ferry. Bad points - older aircraft, Toronto prices, stressful learning environmet on busy days (controllers while excellent can lose their temper), Druxy's is nasty, a lot of HUGE aviation nerds seem to hang out there and talk about how great they piloted their C-150 in a 2 knot cross wind.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

LOL, thanks tequesta. I was considering T.A for my Multi Engine Rating, since they operate the good old Seminole (cheaper than the Aztec) and I live 8 clicks from Buttonville. Don't know if I would do my CPL there, it all depends how I like this place.

Cheers

T01 :D

Timing is everything.
tequesta
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tequesta »

Tango- I'm good friends with the guy that does most of the multi flying at YKZ. You will be in very good hands !!! And TAL lets you rent the seminole solo following the issue of your rating. None of this 50 hour PIC BS.

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Call Durham Flight Center their Aztruck is cheaper than the Seminole at Buttonhole. Also you can get a good class one instructor for about 20 dollars per hour cheaper. Worth the drive to YOO if you ask me.

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Canadian Flyers at Markham operate an inexpensive Seminole($220), and they are close to Buttonville. They will rent it to you solo, and the aerodrome is uncontrolled so you don't spend much time on the ground watching the Hobbs turn. I finished my last student out of Markham in about 7hrs.

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

You asked about TAL. First I do not work for them or any other flying school. TAL has an enthusiastic group of instructors most are good at what they do. I do know that they are trying to get better and the CFI is working hard at improving the school. Why don't you go to the school and talk to him. You will be plesantly surprised at his attitude. Also anybody who is underpay there class one does not deserve the business.

I wish I could spell
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Who said anything about the class one being underpaid? I just said the school costs for the class one were 20 dollars cheaper per hour. How much does a class one make 24 per hour? It's the cut the school takes that adds the cost, the class one still gets paid going rate! Why pay a flight school $65.00 per hour if the guy is still only getting $24.00?

Last edited by N2 on Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Navajo? I heard some guy in CYKZ was screwing people over with the training. I know this for a fact Is it TAL???

Timing is everything.
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Nope it's not Toronto Airways...sorry was thinking of someone else.

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

The guy with the Navajo is NextJet. You pay a s**tload for training and then get to fly is cargo around. You, of course, are not paid for your flying.

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Mahat Macoat or was it Whodat Pilot?

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

For N2 a class one makes up to $40.00 per hour unless he is so stupid that he allows himself to get paid less. AS for the Guy in KZ selling PA31 PPC's he is out of business there was a lock on his propeller and he moved out last week. MCRIT the other operation that uses a C310 and a PA31 pays there Co Pilots ( not much ) but better than giving away free ground briefings as an instructor. If anybody wants to here the real scope on this PM me.

I wish I could spell
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

What flight school pays their class one $40.00 per hour? None of the class ones that I know make that kind of coin.

Last edited by N2 on Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Freelance class ones with some IFR experience can make $40/hour, if not more.

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Right Seat, he said a flight school paying a class one $40.00 per hour of which I know none that pay that kind of coin. Perhaps freelance you can but I doubt any flight school would pay that. Most I ever paid for a class one freelance was $30.00 and that was tax free money for him.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Sorry, I didn't check that far back, I thought we were talking about class 1s in general. In that case I'd have to agree that usually a class 1 in a flight school wouldn't be paid that much. But going back to freelance, I believe if the instructor had significant actual IFR experience and real commercial operation experience, they would easily be worth $40 or $50 per hour. However this experience is very rare amongst Canadian Instructors.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Why are we talking about Class 1 Instructors. All I asked was if Toronto Airways was a good place for me to do my Multi-Engine Rating. That's all people!

Timing is everything.
Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

Tango01

Talk to the CFI's of the different schools and make a plan. Mind you by the time you do all that you could have a rating.

As for rates of pay These gentlemen might not be up to speed on everyones contracts with a school.

I wish I could spell
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Still looking for a name of a school that pays their class one 40 per hour.

Tango you asked is a good place to do your multi, yes and no. It's an alright school, not the best but certainly not the worst.

I am not an instructor so I have no personal interest in TAL's financial gains by directing someone there.

Return to “Flight Training”