Toronto Airways.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

N2

Sorry I'm the guy that get more than $40 per hour and I'm not looking for more students. Also maybe you guys who are so concerned about the cut a school makes should figure out what the real costs are to operate and run a good school. Don't forget to add in the cost of all the photocopying the staff does so as not to pay for manuals etc. TAL is a good place so are the rest of them just find a friendly face who doesn't want to rip you off for the multi time. You might even find someone who has a little more experience than 2 hours in thin cloud!
---------- ADS -----------

I wish I could spell
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

So what's the conclusion?

Timing is everything.
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

You're going to pay a whack of cash no matter where you go..

Does it matter if you spend $100 commuting to check out the Chunsa :P @ CNC3(Brampton)?
Does it matter if you save $100 commuting to CYOO?
Does it matter if you'll pay an extra 100$ to go to CYKZ??

You'll get identical ratings from any school.

What's your flavour what do you want?

One instructor will take you up for an extra .2 hobbs, another will give long winded ground briefs? One is a hottie.

In the end you'll have a rating..

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

CYYZ is right the rating is the same but you should have fun doing it so find a hunk or Hottie as per your preference you might be a lady and rock and roll.

I wish I could spell
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Wasn't me: Sorry about the mix up with the PA31 PPC guy. I got my info second hand, (I should have known better). As for people trying to make a bit of cash by posting here, who cares? If someone is looking for an instructor or school, why not reccommend yourself? If you have an aviation product to sell, why not let the GA community know about it through this site? (Consider it a press release). It's not as though anyone is flooding the board with spam.
As to the free ground briefing stuff, there has to be a happy medium. If you intended to nickle and dime your students to death, you will find yourself spending a lot of time on the ground. If you are willing to cut a deal, where everybody gets what they need, then everybody (yourself included), gets ahead.

Last edited by mcrit on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Wasn't what's the name of the school you work for? Freelancing you might be able to squeeze that much money but I doubt very much a flight school pays you that per hour and if they do consider yourself very lucky. It's definitely not the norm for a school to pay that kind of coin.

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

N2 don't get upset I do make about $50.00 per hour I work on contract basis with 2 schools in Ontario as well as free lance. I prefer to call it Independant instructor but I cann't spell it. I've been doinf this for a long time and with a class one ATPL plus a lot of 0000 in my log book I get to charge. It also pays to have a good success rate and I;m not looking for any customers right now. Usually I get invited to teach at the school depending on the requirment and I am working right now.

I wish I could spell
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Don't worry yourself I am not upset you make that kind of coin in fact more power to you for doing so. My point was that no flight school I know of pays an on staff (permanent employee) class one $40.00 per hour. As you said you contract to them so that makes a difference right there. Sorry if you misunderstood the direction I was taking.

It's the same in the IT business. I might be paid X number of dollars being a permanent employee but I can make double the hourly rate contracting. That being said just because I make X number of dollars working for "the man" doesn't mean I am under paid as was implied by your statement in regards to class one instructor in the original post when I suggested that most of the class ones I know make about $24.00 per hour working at a flight school.

Contracting positions always do pay more due to the fact the company contracting you has no responsibility towards you. ie No workman’s comp, no taxes, no benefits etc. The down side to contract working is they can fire you out the door any time they feel like it.

Again more power to you for making $50+ per hour but that is certainly not the norm for most class ones working in a flight school environment.

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

N2 the going rate for most class one at the beging level is about 30 per in the Toronto area for the more senior ones it negotiable. If your in the Toronto area let me know and I'll buy you a coffee

I wish I could spell
I'd Rather Be Flying
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I'd Rather Be Flying »

How about making $35 per hour as a Class III? You don't have to be a Class I to make good coin. And yes, this is at a regular flight school.

"Come down, your head is in the sky, feet on the ground...come down."
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Where ? Names please! $35.00 per hour for a class 3, come on! I checked with couple of flight schools in the Toronto area and they told me a class 3 is about 18 per hour on average and a class 2 low twenties. So if anyone can supply me with names through a PM of places that pay this kind of coin (35 for a class 3 and 50 for a class 1) I sure would appreciate it.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I'd Rather Be Flying »

Southeastern B.C. Now while these places are a dime a dozen, there are a few companies who pay very, very well. Even as a III.

The Calgary area has some Class I making $55+ per hour.

"Come down, your head is in the sky, feet on the ground...come down."
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Well if there are companies out there that pay their instructors that well my hat is off to them. For the instructors working for them, more power to you for making some good coin. Personally I haven't found any that pay this kind of money but who knows maybe one day I will.

The up side to paying an instructor well is that it just might entice them into instructing as a career, which benefits the student in the long run. A happier instructor and more time spent instructing translates into better instruction.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

A better instructor will probably take fewer hours to teach a student to a given skill level, so it often ends up costing the same. Generally, at the end, the student's knowledge will be greater with the better instructor, too.

Too many underpaid instructors "milk" their students which ends up costing incredible amounts of money, because of the additional aircraft rental costs.

Customers who chose the cheapest instruction are often penny wise and pound foolish, and frankly deserve to be milked.

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

hz2p

couldn't agree more. And Then they go somewhere else and say " but I've already spent so much" . They deserve the sh?t they get.

I wish I could spell
dont_snag_it
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dont_snag_it »

TAL is a good choice...2 non-prec apps right at the airport. You can do a hold and 2 apps in 0.8 hobbs. Both Pa44180's have HSI/RMI. Nice long/wide runways. One has new paint and interior. Right off the 404, free parking, no ferry. The twin teachers are really nice and know their stuff. $225 + $50/hr and you can rent them solo.

TAT
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TAT »

I used to work for TAL and did Multi VFR/IFR training there. Its a good school but you have to be careful that the instuctor is not taking you for a ride! (instructors are always trying to build multi time) Talk to the instructors there that deal with the multi training there and ask how long it usually takes to get the rating. Im a firm believer that it shouldn't take more then 10 hours including the ride and i have had people that have done it in 5 hours. The seminole is a very easy plane to fly so if you can fly a single you can fly it.. Just more checklists and another engine to deal with. Thats all. (it still will not fly on one engine only at -30 :-)

Another tip anywhere you go is to do it quick.. don't wait a long time between flights. The instuctor will be trying to review everything you did the last flight if you wait to long between flights.

As for people around at cykz promising jobs and bigger and better things if you get time on a pa30... its a scam.. i know people that flew it and paid the money..

PM me if you want i could give you names of some people that are good there that are lifetime instructors that won't screw you..

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Interesting reading here.

First : Why would anyone need ten hours to learn to fly a light twin?

Second : Any experienced multi engine instructor that would work for less than fifty dollars after taxes is screwing not only him / her self but probably not experienced to start with.

Third : Having an instructors rating may be determential to giving quality instruction due to the dumming down factor required to pass the TC Voo Doo idiot speak to get the instructors rating.

Fourth : If you guys think flying training is expensive here go to Europe.

Fifth : I last held an Instructors rating in 1965 and now charge $400.00 per flight hour plus accomidations travel expenses and $80.00 per day for food and misc. expenses. ( the down side to my business is the commuting, I just got back from Holland last night and ten days from now will have to head right back. )

Maybe I should start a professional flight instructors franchise and get some of you living above the poverty line. :mrgreen:

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

It always makes me laugh that you can be a Class I Instructor without ever having had a real flying job !

As for the twin instruction, I would really suggest a real pilot with loads of experience like Cat, Wasn't Me, etc. Instead of paying big bucks for a guy that will probably sh&t in his pants the first time he'll need to overshoot.

There is a market for High quality instruction all over the country. I hope we'll see more of that in the coming years.

Benwa

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

benwa

Got to say that if you think instructing is not a real flying job maybe you should have a look at most of the market and the guy who trained you. I have been an instructor for a very long time. I like teaching and enjoy watching students move forward. To say that instructing isn't real is not reasonable.

I wish I could spell

Return to “Flight Training”