Wabusk Air - Great Opportunity ?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AEIO-360
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wabusk Air - Great Opportunity ?

Post by AEIO-360 »

Hi

I just finished my milti-IFR and am going to to on a road trip to look for work and i was wondering if anyone can tell me more about Wabusk Air.. ? are they a good company to work for? Pay rates? how much time on the ramp before you get into a plane?

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

One of my friends used to work there. According to him, it was an absolute nightmare. This is second-hand info, and I have no experience with this company.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
NavajoMark
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NavajoMark »

I was hired here about three months ago and so far its been great – working with really decent people. The owners and CP really care about safety and I’ve never been told or even asked to break any air reg. I’d say the good side is tonnes of flying and great experience. (also the fleet: 3 PA-31s and a BE-10) The bad side would be lots of long days and low pay. Moosonee is isolated (no road access-only rail) so I can see how it might not be well suited to some kinds of people.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Huh, really. I know a few guys that worked there and said the exact opposite of what your saying.
By the way noticed its your first post, welcome aboard

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

It could be a good start for you...it is northern living though so keep that in mind.

I have no first hand info on that particular company but I did work for a very similar operator out of NW ON.

Keep in mind it is single pilot IFR stuff so you won't be logging any PIC time on the twins until you have 1000TT and 100 multi, if you are a good worker they will try and PCC you for right seat duties, and you will be able to ride along right seat when there is an empty seat.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Avcanada! :)

MacTarmac
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MacTarmac »

i have a good friend up there right now , i have heard some good things about these fellows, lots of flying (100 +/month in summer season)

as for pic i know you can log as much vfr pic as you can get as long as you have a ppc! ( and no you dont need one to be hired, they will train you)

from what i hear the majority of the flying can be vfr.

corrrect on the spifr numbers however.

remember though if you are not prepared for northern ops
ie: long hard days doing everything and anything ( not just flying ) dont bother, you will only be wasting your time and theirs. might be worth a visit up there to see if you can handle living in a place like moosanne.

keep in mind everything is what you make of it and if you have the right attitude you could really enjoy yourself.

for a low time guy i would say jump at the possibility in 2 years you will have a couple thousand multi hours and more than likely 1500 m pic! also some great fishing stories

not many places can offer that .

good luck!

AEIO-360
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AEIO-360 »

thanks to those who responded and helped provide some information on this company.

--------------------------------------------
"I'm too close for missiles, i'm switchin to guns" - Ice Man (The Later Years)

Julian
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Julian »

And when you're all done in Moosonee, you'll have a rock hard and well trained liver!

tree-top_willie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tree-top_willie »

ah Moosonee..good times indeed...you will work your ass off, no doubt about it, but if you're good at what you do, your time will go up fast..times are good right now, if you're low on time its the perfect chance to get a 1000 mpic or so and move on..Moosonee isn't too bad if you know what you are getting into....DO NOT get off the train in a leather jacket and dress pants...be prepared to work....the owner expects a lot out of his employees but he is fair and you will get what you deserve...If you are looking at a ramp job, get in good with the taxi companies up there...they will become your best friends and one of these days may pick you up when its -100 and your're shitfaced walking home from one of town dances...

Best piece of advice....stay away from the Gunner girls and P.G.'s daughters....good luck and enjoy it..you will come out of there w/ a few good stories :lol:

AEIO-360
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AEIO-360 »

sounds like this place isn't too bad at all .. can anyone tell me more about the owner, what type of person he is? Do you get paid shitty because the buisness isn't that profitable? Where do people generally go after Wabusk?

thanks

----------------------------------------------
"I'm too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns" - Ice Man (The Later Years)

KIAS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KIAS »

People I know that worked for Wabusk left for positions with medevac operators, mostly in Ontario. (500 MPIC)

Julian
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Julian »

At the Bear, thunder, voyageur, flight exec, georgian, air nunavut, jazz...

Cathay (just f#cking around... :wink: )

Medium Pimpin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Medium Pimpin »

part of the benifits package is all the pop and chips you want. and those "Fresh" pre-packaged sandwhiches ...

not to mention the beaver ... lots and lots of beaver in moosonee .. nothin like a good night of drinkin after out chasin some beaver!!

Germans Love David Hasselhoff

Return to “Employment Forum”