T-Shirts Threat to Aviation Safety!!!
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
I'm going to get a shirt made up that says F the middle east and see how they like it!
Kills me that everyone can protest, cry and whine but when a white guy does it we get labeled a racist. I know far more ethnics that I consider racists than I do whites.
Kills me that everyone can protest, cry and whine but when a white guy does it we get labeled a racist. I know far more ethnics that I consider racists than I do whites.
Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
- bob sacamano
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1680
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
- Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore
N2, no need to wear a t-shirt, the world's powers have been fucking the Middle East for a long time now, this is why they protest.N2 wrote:I'm going to get a shirt made up that says F the middle east and see how they like it!
Kills me that everyone can protest, cry and whine but when a white guy does it we get labeled a racist. I know far more ethnics that I consider racists than I do whites.
It's funny how some don't ask questions, as in, why are they protesting? Just for the fun of it?
Just like when pilots fly, if they see something they're unsure of, they need to be asking questions.
I have no problem with them protesting in their own country but why do they move here then start that crap. If they are so concerned with the issues then they should be back home, not here!
Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
- bob sacamano
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1680
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
- Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore
I can't speak for the dude at the airport, but a wild guess here, maybe he's an american citizen?N2 wrote:I have no problem with them protesting in their own country but why do they move here then start that crap. If they are so concerned with the issues then they should be back home, not here!
If anything, this dude is on the same side as the yanks
-
niss
- Top Poster

- Posts: 6745
- Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:54 pm
- Location: I'm a CPL trapped in a PPL's Body.
- Contact:
Here is an intersting question. What would EL Al have done? El Al has set the standard for aviation security and allready put Arab Males in that age group as the highest risk. Would they have allowed him to wear that Tshirt on the plane? If you dont read arabic for all you know that tshirt could say "We will not be silent" in english and "Jihad Jihad Jihad! Cut off the infadels head" in Arabic, you dont know if that tshirt is really there to promote peace or incite hatred.
Just wonderin'

Just wonderin'
She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.
Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
-
mellow_pilot
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2119
- Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:04 am
- Location: Pilot Purgatory
- Axial Flow
- Rank 7

- Posts: 507
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:00 pm
What if he was an extremist from Montreal and instead of Arabic on his shirt it was in French and stated Infadels must die. Assuming nobody could read french on the plane would he still be perceived as a threat ?
I saw the story on CNN when they interviewed this guy and it was amazing how the CNN "Terror Expert" was so biased already and stated something like well come on its always young muslim men who are terrorists causing this so thats why the guy with the t shirt was singled out.
I guess its whatever the going concern is and what the fear machine is pumping out. Just like being associated with Communism in the cold war or being German or Japanese during World War 2.
I just think more discresion and tolerance would go along way as I would have not wanted to be thrown in as part of the nazis in WW2 just because I was german.
I saw the story on CNN when they interviewed this guy and it was amazing how the CNN "Terror Expert" was so biased already and stated something like well come on its always young muslim men who are terrorists causing this so thats why the guy with the t shirt was singled out.
I guess its whatever the going concern is and what the fear machine is pumping out. Just like being associated with Communism in the cold war or being German or Japanese during World War 2.
I just think more discresion and tolerance would go along way as I would have not wanted to be thrown in as part of the nazis in WW2 just because I was german.
-
nimbostratus
- Rank 3

- Posts: 197
- Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 9:08 am
- Location: Calgary
I personally don't see a problem with the guys T-shirt. I'm certainly not Arabic or Muslim but I have lived and worked in two Muslim Fundamentalist Republics. From what I experienced (Pre 9/11), the majority of the people were very friendly.
On the other hand, while working in North Africa I've had rocks thrown at me (Female coworker was wearing, of all things... A "T-SHIRT". Women are not allowed to expose their arms in public in fundamentalist muslim countries).
She was not a muslim but was expected to follow their ways.
Still, I think it was an over-reaction on airport securities part to make the fellow cover up the shirt. It seemed like a relatively docile shirt. ("Cindy Sheehan" wears a lot worse).
One can understand the fear of other pasengers in times when many Muslim groups are openly threatening and targeting commercial airliners loaded with civilians. I'm trying to remember, which non muslim groups around the world have been threatening to blow up commercial airliners.....hmmmm can someone help me out here?
Long and the short of it. Not all Arabs are terrorists. In fact I'm sure the percentage is ridiculously small. On the other hand, if you want to wear your Arabic T-shirt to the Airport and speak loudly in Arabic, plan to be at the airport a little earlier than everyone else...
Nimbo
On the other hand, while working in North Africa I've had rocks thrown at me (Female coworker was wearing, of all things... A "T-SHIRT". Women are not allowed to expose their arms in public in fundamentalist muslim countries).
She was not a muslim but was expected to follow their ways.
Still, I think it was an over-reaction on airport securities part to make the fellow cover up the shirt. It seemed like a relatively docile shirt. ("Cindy Sheehan" wears a lot worse).
One can understand the fear of other pasengers in times when many Muslim groups are openly threatening and targeting commercial airliners loaded with civilians. I'm trying to remember, which non muslim groups around the world have been threatening to blow up commercial airliners.....hmmmm can someone help me out here?
Long and the short of it. Not all Arabs are terrorists. In fact I'm sure the percentage is ridiculously small. On the other hand, if you want to wear your Arabic T-shirt to the Airport and speak loudly in Arabic, plan to be at the airport a little earlier than everyone else...
Nimbo
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
Give him a mask and he will tell the truth." -- Oscar Wilde
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
Give him a mask and he will tell the truth." -- Oscar Wilde
- bob sacamano
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1680
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
- Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore
-
goldeneagle
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1362
- Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:28 pm
The US navy has long threatened any airplanes that are flying directly toward thier ships, and they have done it too. Maybe read up a little history on the USS Vincennes. You may want to google a bit, and read up on some past conversations between Qantas equipment flying south pacific long hauls, they've been threatened by the us navy more than once.nimbostratus wrote:I
I'm trying to remember, which non muslim groups around the world have been threatening to blow up commercial airliners.....hmmmm can someone help me out here?
The Russian air force has long threatened any commerical airliners that stray over the kamchatka peninsula by accident when going over polar routes to asia. By gawd, they've done it too.
You dont have to look to hard to find threats to blow up commercial airliners, just look for any military that has air to air, or ground to air capacity. Pretty much all of them invoke the threat constantly, doesn't really matter what color thier skin is, or what religion they partake in.
Arab guy wears an arabic t-shirt in an American airport - gets a new shirt. Danish magazine prints a cartoon of "the prophet" - embassies are set a blaze and a new jihad called.
Those that are ranting for both sides always remember expression and speech is never FREE! Where you live depends on how much it costs.
Frankly I'd rather live in the west where death and destruction is not the cost of my individual expression, even with the odd over reaction on the side of safety.
Those that are ranting for both sides always remember expression and speech is never FREE! Where you live depends on how much it costs.
Frankly I'd rather live in the west where death and destruction is not the cost of my individual expression, even with the odd over reaction on the side of safety.
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here. I really thought we had some intelligent people on here......
While in the midst of all this, emotions run high and it's easy to jump to conclusions. PLEASE step back and think about today's current events in light of history people. Giving up personnal freedoms for increased "security" is not cool.
Now, please excuse me. I have to watch CNN, Wolf Blitzer is in the situation room preaching the truth.
While in the midst of all this, emotions run high and it's easy to jump to conclusions. PLEASE step back and think about today's current events in light of history people. Giving up personnal freedoms for increased "security" is not cool.
Now, please excuse me. I have to watch CNN, Wolf Blitzer is in the situation room preaching the truth.
-
niss
- Top Poster

- Posts: 6745
- Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:54 pm
- Location: I'm a CPL trapped in a PPL's Body.
- Contact:
Well said!Arab guy wears an arabic t-shirt in an American airport - gets a new shirt. Danish magazine prints a cartoon of "the prophet" - embassies are set a blaze and a new jihad called.
Those that are ranting for both sides always remember expression and speech is never FREE! Where you live depends on how much it costs.
Frankly I'd rather live in the west where death and destruction is not the cost of my individual expression, even with the odd over reaction on the side of safety.
She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.
Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
- bob sacamano
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1680
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
- Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore
Back to my original question, so now we compare the u.s., the allmighty be all of all nations, the land of the free, the yada yada yadas that we all hear, the land of democracy, land of freedom of speech, etc....to the barbaric, extremist, terrrorist-hugging-sponsoring-jihadist muslims????gli77 wrote:Arab guy wears an arabic t-shirt in an American airport - gets a new shirt. Danish magazine prints a cartoon of "the prophet" - embassies are set a blaze and a new jihad called.
Those that are ranting for both sides always remember expression and speech is never FREE! Where you live depends on how much it costs.
Frankly I'd rather live in the west where death and destruction is not the cost of my individual expression, even with the odd over reaction on the side of safety.
tsk tsk tsk...
Bob Sacamano,
Have you spent much time working in the US? (I am assuming you are Canadian) I did a contract there and all the things you listed are indeed a fallacy. There is no free speech or freedom expression, there is always a cost.
The difference is in the US I can bash George Bush and I might get a few nasty replies. In North Korea if I bash the dear leader I get thrown in a hard labour camp or shot on the spot.
Take some time to travel this world and you learn the reality. Always keep things in perspective, never take things for granted.
Have you spent much time working in the US? (I am assuming you are Canadian) I did a contract there and all the things you listed are indeed a fallacy. There is no free speech or freedom expression, there is always a cost.
The difference is in the US I can bash George Bush and I might get a few nasty replies. In North Korea if I bash the dear leader I get thrown in a hard labour camp or shot on the spot.
Take some time to travel this world and you learn the reality. Always keep things in perspective, never take things for granted.
- bob sacamano
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1680
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
- Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore
No I haven't spent any time working in the u.s, I never said I did. Wether you thought there was freedom of expression or not is your own personal observation/opinion. The u.s. itself cries out loud that it does have all of these values. Comparing it to the saudi wahabist regime is not something to be proud of.gli77 wrote:Bob Sacamano,
Have you spent much time working in the US? (I am assuming you are Canadian) I did a contract there and all the things you listed are indeed a fallacy. There is no free speech or freedom expression, there is always a cost.
The difference is in the US I can bash George Bush and I might get a few nasty replies. In North Korea if I bash the dear leader I get thrown in a hard labour camp or shot on the spot.
Take some time to travel this world and you learn the reality. Always keep things in perspective, never take things for granted.
As for taking the time to travel this world, thank you for your advise, however I've not only travelled most continents, but worked in most of them as well. The u.s. to me, is not the centre of the earth. I've been to it more than I have eaten shrimp cocktails.
As for living conditions, I've lived in places where you don't get electricity, and where water in the taps is a luxury, and hot water is only for royalty
What you're saying is true, i've had to deal with many secret police, from the russian federal security service to the moukhabarat.

