How Much Does Lumber Weigh?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

North Shore wrote:Why not just pile'er on until you've got two rivets showing at the tail of the float, and then you're good to go! :wink:
there is another way??? :o
---------- ADS -----------

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Edo »

Ok well most people seems to have understood the question. I'm kinda surprised at the threat to move this to a misc forum, maybe bush flying would have been better but then I figured lots of caravans, hawkers, PC-12, etc move wood on wheels too.

To clarify, as most have guessed, i'm flying lumber tied to the float. I have used North Shore's method, stack it on and see how it fits.

In light of the way TC is viewing external loads, it seemed better to try and find something better. The location I am flying out of does not have a scale.

I once saw a chart that listed lumber by size and aprox weight. I would assume dry finished lumber, I don't come across waterlogged rough cut stuff too much. Anyone have one?

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

gapper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gapper »

I have been carrying a 200 pound fish-scale with me. Its stored in a 2 foot white sewer pipe,and I usually take three of four boards tied together with a rope or something and weigh that. It gives me an average of what the pile is. The thinner the plywood the heavier it is by the inch. panel board is allot heavier than plywood. Rough cut wood has to be weighed as it may vary by allot. Good luck with your loads and fly safe.

gonfly'n
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gonfly'n »

My dad has a 1986 oldsmobile firenza, and he can get a shit load of fire wood on the trunk, and the amount of 2x4's on the roof is limited only to your imagination, not to mention 3 fat chicks and one standard weight hippy(110lbs) in the back seat.

Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Edo »

well, i guess the time tested and true rivet scale will have to work.

where did you get the standard weight for a hippie, the AIM?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

If you know your airplane and the water line on the floats when empty and at gross you can pretty well count on that being quite accurate.

It's called displacement.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

Shame on you Cat! You know better than to bring that "science" shit in here!

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Mello, I can be forgiven because I'm senile.

The difference between me and the new age Gurus is when we learned to fly our minds were not overloaded with the Voo Doo B.S. that is pumped out of TC's bloated machine and written by people that obviously fly desks.

When the mind is over loaded with to many goofy ideas the pilots fail to notice their fu.king airplanes are over loaded.

Cat

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

Cat Driver wrote: The difference between me and the new age Gurus is when we learned to fly our minds were not overloaded with the Voo Doo B.S. that is pumped out of TC's bloated machine and written by people that obviously fly desks.
In the dictionary under redundant, it says, see REDUNDANT.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Help me out here Desks.

Is it your opinion that the failure to understand basics is redundant?

I am trying to point out that to much information clutters up the mind at the risk of not seeing the obvious.

As to todays training as dictated by the regulator if I were to go back and work under their dictates I would have to go back to making peanuts for pay.

The value of instructors is determined by the market.

How come my methods of instructing pays more than ten times the hourly rate of a pilot working under his/her TC Class 1 instructor rating?

So if my comments are redundant so be it, my clients don't think so. :wink:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Skronk...double post.

desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

You can at least appreciate that under the topic of redundancy, you posted the same thing twice? :)

Essentially I would agree with everything that you posted in your response to me. Flight instructors are the most undervalued asset in our industry, I'll run with you on the fact that the majority of our training conducted in this country falls short of what it should be. I'd even go as far as to call it deplorable in parts.

but it was this:
The difference between me and the new age Gurus is when we learned to fly our minds were not overloaded with the Voo Doo B.S. that is pumped out of TC's bloated machine and written by people that obviously fly desks
that got my attention.

That's no excuse for stupidity. The average pilot under most circumstances should be able to operate with some common sense and still balance it with the voodoo B.S of which you speak...because guess what, again, its not going away.

The mind being over loaded with to many goofy T.C ideas is no excuse for a poor load on board an aircraft.

Can't blame T.C for everything, or can you. Your call.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

Noooooo, bring back Angelina. Smoking baby Yuckkkkky.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" Can't blame T.C for everything, or can you. Your call. "

Of course not desks, but using logic one must examine the root cause of anything that needs improvement, therefore as long as TC makes the rules for training they must be held to inspection when the level of pilot competency leaves something to be desired.

But if it makes everyone feel better TC is not alone in this downward spiral of poor pilot skills, Europe has the same problem.

We gotta stay frends Deskie cause you are quite entertaining.

Cat

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

bandaid wrote:Noooooo, bring back Angelina. Smoking baby Yuckkkkky.
As you wish 8)

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

Cat Driver wrote:Skronk...double post.
FARK! I can't believe you used "skronk" in a post! ;)

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

K C?

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!

Return to “General Comments”