Advanced Ultralight exposure

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
User avatar
Springbok 3
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Edenvale ON
Contact:

Advanced Ultralight exposure

Post by Springbok 3 »

Advanced ultralight (AULA) training has been given some good exposure in the latest issue of the Canadian Aviator magazine.

Our Sportstar AULA (C-IEWU) is on the front cover with yours truly in the RHS. Russ Niles, the senior editor is flying the aircraft and the photograph was taken over the Lake Scugog area North East of Oshawa in ON during the recent Oshawa airshow.

There is nothing like free advertising :D

Image[/img]
---------- ADS -----------
 
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

Good on you, I'll buy a copy so I can see what you look like

Cat
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Springbok 3
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Edenvale ON
Contact:

Post by Springbok 3 »

Don`t get too excited ., I am only featured on the cover 8)
---------- ADS -----------
 
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

Naw Springbok I don't get excited anymore especially reading airplane mags, we get in the damn things all the time in europe and all it is filler that the magazine writers use to sell the product.

Every once in a while they do a good one.

This months Aeroplane has a fairly good article on the Dutch Cat four pages with lots of pictures.....

Why did they have to mention I am 70 years old..

..I told all those Dutch women I was 50.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Springbok 3
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Edenvale ON
Contact:

Post by Springbok 3 »

Why did they have to mention I am 70 years old..

..I told all those Dutch women I was 50.
_________________

And so your checkered past shall catch up to you :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Speaking of ultralights, I was wondering if someone could help me. A friend of mine saw and episode "Wings over Canada" and they were showcasing an italian made ultralight for roughly 23000$ ready to fly.

Anyone have any idea what's it called?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

Springbok, I bought the magazine and read the article.

Interesting reading and got me to thinking about how sucessful this new type of training will be.

What kind of hoops do you have to crawl through to get an instructors rating on these aircraft?

Just reading it if I were to limit my Cub to 1232 pounds gross weight it could be used as a trainer for the license.

1232 pounds would be O.K. for a land plane Cub but not high enough for amphib floats.

Anyhow I'm thinking of building a second Cub a Clipped Wing aerobatic version which would be O.K to register at 1232 pounds.

Hmmmm.. interesting no need for an OC to teach people if you go fractional ownership.

But the big problem for me would be getting an instructors rating in Canada...naw I can't see that happening.

Anyhow gives me something to think about.

Cat
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Springbok 3
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Edenvale ON
Contact:

Post by Springbok 3 »

Hiflyinpilot,

The Italians make two well know advanced ultralights. One is called the Skyarrow (check our www as we are dealers) and the Tecnam range of AULA which all have range and performance figures comparitive to a C172.

You will need to give me more info on the aircraft ie. 2 seater? fabric or aluminum? Flexwing trike or 3 axis? etc. That way I can try and narrow it down. The Skyarrow goes for about $87000 and the Tecnams can go for anything up to $120000 fully loaded IFR.

The aircraft you saw was most likely a basic ultralight.

.,

If you already have a Canadian Instructors rating you are good to go but wise to do some conversion time onto type.

CARS call for 50 hrs of ultralight flight time before obtaining the AULA Instr rating and then you do the instr course with a minimum of 5 hrs in instructional techniques and another 5 ground school, FITEN exam and Letter of recommendation and off you go.

Rec and PPL / CPL licences get you credit so only 20 hrs of ultralight time is required of which 10 must be solo, 5 on instr techniques and 15 dual and the rest applies.

., I assume that you have a foreign instructors rating and if that is the case, Candianize it and you are then able to instruct on ultralights after a little familiarization on type.

If you re-register the Cub @ 1232 it will be an ultralight but not good as an amphib. We sell this Highlander as an amphib under 1232 lbs

Image
---------- ADS -----------
 
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

".,

If you already have a Canadian Instructors rating you are good to go but wise to do some conversion time onto type.

My Canadian instructors rating lapsed in 1965, my problem is it would be highly unlikely that TC would ever renew it as I am on their no approve list big time.

CARS call for 50 hrs of ultralight flight time before obtaining the AULA Instr rating and then you do the instr course with a minimum of 5 hrs in instructional techniques and another 5 ground school, FITEN exam and Letter of recommendation and off you go.

Rec and PPL / CPL licences get you credit so only 20 hrs of ultralight time is required of which 10 must be solo, 5 on instr techniques and 15 dual and the rest applies.

If I were to decide to get the AULA instructors rating that may be a possibility, but who would be dumb enough to recommend me? Whoever did would be red flagged and their career would become very at risk.

Why would I need 5 hours on instructing techniques? Do advanced ultra lites fly under different aerodynamic and phicics laws than the rest of the flying machines in aviation?


., I assume that you have a foreign instructors rating and if that is the case, Candianize it and you are then able to instruct on ultralights after a little familiarization on type.


I instruct under foreign approvals ( Australia / South Africa / Europe. ) I do not hold any flight instructors rating because I have no need for one.

If you re-register the Cub @ 1232 it will be an ultralight but not good as an amphib. We sell this Highlander as an amphib under 1232 lbs "

I would not register my Cub as an Advanced Ultralite because I want it on amphib. floats, but I'm thinking of building a Clipped wing version of a Cub and that would be great as an AUL.

I have not quite decided if I will bother with doing the license thing yet, cause I can always hire someone with the instructors rating.

I am convinced that the AUL's are the way to go, certified just have to many problems with B.S. requirements.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
AV8OR
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:21 am

Post by AV8OR »

That's a cheap way of gaining float time. I wonder if companies accept ultralight float time towards the magic 250hrs.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Springbok 3
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Edenvale ON
Contact:

Post by Springbok 3 »

. wrote,
Why would I need 5 hours on instructing techniques? Do advanced ultra lites fly under different aerodynamic and phicics laws than the rest of the flying machines in aviation?


Funny guy :lol: This is for someone who has no instructor rating!

Come and spend a couple of days flying with me and I will issue you with a letter of competency to get your AULA permit and then a letter of Recommendation for your AULA Instr rating. I don`t give a shit about your background and I am not afraid of TC. I just keep everything legal and above board according to the CARS.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Springbok,

Ya sorry about the skimmish details, I beleive he said it was a 2 seater alluminum, apparently reach altitude of 14K, I dont know much about ultralights but i would assume it's a basic ultralight, It's fully enclosed, can either come in high wing or low wing, floats wheel etc.

I know it's probably next to impossible to figure out what kind of ultralight I'm talking about with these kinds of details, I was just hoping by chance someone knew or saw the episoed and knew excatly which ultralight I was talking about.

All i know is the way my friend was talking, this ltarlight sounded like an amazng piece of machinery.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Springbok 3
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Edenvale ON
Contact:

Post by Springbok 3 »

it certainly sounds as if you are referring to the Tecnam aircraft. Just google for a look see. They have a dealership here in Canada and the guy is based in Brampton. Be very ceareful in any dealing with the latter and I do not mean the aircraft!

In South Africa and Europe they use the Tecnam (Sierra and Echo) for PPL, CPL and single IFR training. The R2000 also has full retract, VP prop and is IFR equipped. Advanced ultralights like the Tecnam have revolutionized flight training in SA....more bang for your buck and a lot easier on the pockets of the poor CPL guys trying to build time.

I wish Canada would go the same way. These aircraft should no longer carry the wording "ultralight" in their description. In Europe they are more commonly referred to as VLA (very light aircraft) and out perform the traditional trainers (C150/ 172 and Cherokee 140/160/180) by a long shot.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

No doubt about it these machines are the way to go.

To succeed in flight training one must find a way to operate without being strangled to death by having to deal with TC.

The perfect solution would be to operate these Advanced Ultra lites or what ever you want to call them as private aircraft, and set it up so you do not have to get an OC.

So just sell fractional ownership shares in your airplanes and viola you are free to earn a living without supporting thousands of drones who deny you every request you make.

I think I'll go that route.

Anyone see why this would not work?

Cat
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

I wonder if I should rent my Cri Cri for time building?
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:04 am
Location: Pilot Purgatory

Post by mellow_pilot »

I'm interested. (not so much to build time, but just to fly again...)
---------- ADS -----------
 
Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
heeypilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am

Post by heeypilot »

'advanced ultralight?'

sounds more like an oxymoron to me
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

Yeh, the name is not to sexy, but they are a less expensive way to build time and experience.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Springbok 3
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Edenvale ON
Contact:

Post by Springbok 3 »

heeypilot wrote:'advanced ultralight?'

sounds more like an oxymoron to me
Agreed. They should be called "Light Sport Aircraft - LSA" as in the USA or Very Lifgt Aircraft - VLJ as in Europe
---------- ADS -----------
 
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”