Airpark property in Ontario?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
User avatar
Landlocked
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: SWOntario

Airpark property in Ontario?

Post by Landlocked »

Just retirement dreaming! Anyone know of any airpark/cottage property on the water in Ontario? (don't have the cash for amphibs)
---------- ADS -----------
 
alpha1
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:57 am

Post by alpha1 »

try:

http://www.chandlerpoint.com

looks sweet...
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Landlocked
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: SWOntario

Post by Landlocked »

Is there an airstrip there? Sorry, just wanted to clarify looking for "fly-in"
property.
---------- ADS -----------
 
CarbIce
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:44 am

Post by CarbIce »

Not sure on the size of the lake, but try: http://tomvale.com/
---------- ADS -----------
 
alpha1
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:57 am

Post by alpha1 »

i think the chandler point area is close to the haliburton airport

http://www.stanhopeairport.com
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Landlocked
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: SWOntario

Post by Landlocked »

Interesting, thanks!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Post by Pete »

I wouldnt want the owners of tomvale as my neighbors hehe. They must have had some really bad experiences/pilots come in and out of there to write that whole shpeel on their web-page.

If I made my own strip, and could sit out back and have a miller, watching people fly in and out of my strip, meet and greet, (depending on the season...spring thaw/fall mornings and frost would be a no no)...but geez, to me that defines the fun of GA. My opinion I guess.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:54 am
Location: Tree tops

Post by Idriveplane »

Yeah i was reading the Tomvale site and man that is whack. Their implying dont even dare use our runway for an emergency (unless you call a day ahead lol). Who would want to live there
---------- ADS -----------
 
Image
User avatar
Snowgoose
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:04 pm
Location: Duty Free Shop

Post by Snowgoose »

Ottawa Carp has something in the works

http://www.wcd.ca/
---------- ADS -----------
 
It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.
Mr. Jones
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:28 am
Location: CPJ5

Post by Mr. Jones »

---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Vector2ILS
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Somewhere hot right now....

Post by Vector2ILS »

Tomvale is messed up. I wonder what their problem is? :shock:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:44 pm

Post by Lommer »

Tomvale says that unexpected landings can damage their runway? Wtf? I've never heard of this before can anyone explain?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Post by Hedley »

This is hilarious! There's gotta be a juicy story (or three) behind this. C'mon, fess up!

http://tomvale.com/airport.htm
Notes on Prior Permission

First of all, the following does not apply to the vast majority of pilots in the aviation community who are wonderful people, nor to the many pilots who supported us when we were operating the airport as a business. We apologize in advance to those people and this is intended for the few exceptions in the aviation community.

1. We are a privately owned aerodrome, and we receive no funding whatsoever in any way from any government agency. This is our property and we have every right to use it in any way we see fit. When you land here without prior permission, you are trespassing on private property.

2. We live on the airport grounds. In addition to the above, you are landing in our backyard, interrupting our routine, and taking us away from other activities, including making a living.

3. Be assured that your landing is not a rare occurrence, nor are you the exception. As I write this, we have had to deal with 5 pilots in as many days who did not give us prior notice before landing. In addition, two of those pilots attempted to shift the blame to us for their own transgressions, and were very rude in the process.

4. Landing here at certain times will cause damage to our runway. Landing here without prior permission will make you responsible for that damage, and you will be expected to pay for its repair before you leave.

5. The only explanation we will accept for your landing here without Prior Permission, is a "Declared State of Emergency." Be prepared to do the necessary paperwork if this occurs. We will still charge you a hefty landing fee, however. We are sympathetic to the fact that you had an emergency, but you should not ask us to participate in your misfortune, and you should be thankful that we were here to save you.

6. In any case, be prepared to be charged a large sum of money for landing here without prior permission. Do not place the blame on us. We have a right to control our property as well as our time. Please consider how you would react if we came to your home unannounced; used your phone, bathroom, facilities; put a hole in your driveway; and waited in your living room for the weather to clear, or for your mechanic to get there. Consider also 3 other people doing it the same day.

7. Unacceptable excuses and reasons why:

a) "I did not have a current CFS", or "I didn't notice the PPR in the CFS"

Check the CARs for 602.71 which states "the pilot-in-command of an aircraft shall before commencing a flight be familiar with the available information that is appropriate to the intended flight.". In addition, we have been PNR for six years now, and PPR for one. If your CFS is more than 6 years old, maybe you shouldn't be flying.

b) "I'm only one person. You can make an exception surely."

See #3 above

c)" I didn't know the weather was going to close in", or "I didn't know my engine was going to run rough"

We provide a public service by being here in the first place. When flight planning, if you choose to fly over us with the intention of landing here "just in case", then be prepared to pay the hefty landing fee. If you have a problem with this then we suggest for example, if you're flying from Toronto to Ottawa, that you do so via Kingston.

d) "I'm running low on fuel."

Since your destination aerodrome must be a location 50 miles past us in any direction, and since the CARs requires you to have 30 minutes of reserve fuel past this location, your flight planning might need a little tune up.

e) "My taxes help pay for this airport."

No they don't. See #1 above

f) " I'm meeting someone here who is going to pick me up."

No you're not. We are not responsible for your bad planning.

g) "I only want to do a touch and go."

You are still using our facility to further your goals at our expense.

h) "I only want to do a low and over."

We cannot prevent you from legally doing this, however given #2, common courtesy dictates that you seek permission. If you choose not to, be prepared to suffer the consequences of you or any school you are associated with ever landing here.

i) "I'm only a helicopter. If I wanted to, I could just land in a field."

Then land in a field, and not here.

j) "But I left a message on the answering machine."

Both PNR and PPR require that you speak to the aerodrome operator. Unless you are given specific permission by us to land here, don't assume that you can.

k) "But I couldn't find "Tomvale" in the CFS.

Complain to Transport Canada for this. As you should know, a number of years ago they decided to rename every airport according to the nearest town or city on the VNC. Although we have attempted on numerous occasions to remove the "Plevna" from the name, they insist on it. If you can't find an aerodrome in the CFS, then you shouldn't be flying there.

l) "But I did give you notice that I'd be here in the morning, I just couldn't get the airplane until tonight.

Prior Permission applies for a reasonable period of time, not for any time you care to fly in.

m) "I don't agree with your landing fee charges and I will complain to whoever, and advertise your unreasonable nature to my flying club, flight school etc."

Please do spread the word. It is entirely reasonable for us to demand something as simple as a phone call the day before. However, be prepared to have your already hefty landing fee doubled if you are rude to us in any way.
---------- ADS -----------
 
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2670
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:53 am

Post by . . »

I wonder much they charge? They go on about how hefty their landing fee is a bunch of times.
---------- ADS -----------
 
C-FABH
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:06 am

Post by C-FABH »

I had read that garbage on their website about a year ago, when somebody wanted a charter out to Tomvale.... and have considered many nights since then, the possibility of a low and over with a fake duct-tape reg :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Post by Hedley »

a fake duct-tape reg
Might I suggest C-GCFE? :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1973
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:01 pm

Post by mcrit »

Don't really see the problem. If they want to keep their strip private that's their bussiness.
If you want to meet a real piece of work when it comes to PPR try going to Markham. That guy is off the scale.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Landlocked
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: SWOntario

Post by Landlocked »

Liability may be an issue as well..
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”