Relocating or Commuting
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
- highlander
- Rank 4

- Posts: 222
- Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:53 pm
Relocating or Commuting
I got a call yesterday ....telephone inteview.
They seemed to be focussing on trying to staff a Halifax base. They were very clear that I would have to elocate...not commute.
I was under the impression you could commute...but they seemed more interested in the relocating aspect. Is this normal with Jazz?
I know many pilots at Jazz who are commuting....but not to Halifax.
I hope I didn't ruin my chances...they said they would keep me on file and be in touch for future openings....I would rather tell the truth now (that I'm willing to commute, not relocate) than lie (tell them I'll relocate) and face the consequences later on.
Advice is welcome.
They seemed to be focussing on trying to staff a Halifax base. They were very clear that I would have to elocate...not commute.
I was under the impression you could commute...but they seemed more interested in the relocating aspect. Is this normal with Jazz?
I know many pilots at Jazz who are commuting....but not to Halifax.
I hope I didn't ruin my chances...they said they would keep me on file and be in touch for future openings....I would rather tell the truth now (that I'm willing to commute, not relocate) than lie (tell them I'll relocate) and face the consequences later on.
Advice is welcome.
is this for a flying job with jazz? mention commuting on the phone and it's not going to go good - that was the wrong answer.
This can't be for a flying gig as there are many displaced pilots trying to get back east. Move, it s a sweet spot to live.
This can't be for a flying gig as there are many displaced pilots trying to get back east. Move, it s a sweet spot to live.
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
-
bobcaygeon
- Rank 7

- Posts: 734
- Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:03 am
Jazz will never call you again and AC won't if you tell them you plan on commuting. Lie Lie Lie. There is no punishment if you commute later. This is the big time. +1400 pilots at jazz and +3000 at AC, they ain't gonna remember and if they did, say things changed. They really don't care as long as you show up to work and you aren't contractually obliged to live at your base.
relocating or commuting
I'm confused. You say they were trying to staff a Halifax base? Were you appplying for a STOC/Dispatch/Crew SKED job or a pilot job? If you're a pilot then that is big news since the Halifax pilot base has bee on the verge of closing for a couple of years now.
- highlander
- Rank 4

- Posts: 222
- Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:53 pm
As far as I know it was for a flight crew position, the only thing I have applied to at Jazz.
As for the Halifax base thing? I don't know, that's what they said...so I don't know the whole background.
Interestingly, so far, the replies here all point to me being wrong, yet, in talking to many other people outside the forum, they think that I played it safe or at least erred on the side of being careful. Their argument is that if I say yes and then at the end back down, would that hurt my chances more than if I am honest from the start.
FYI, I know 3 pilots who all indicated that they intended to commute and all work for Jazz.
Perhaps i made a bad decision that will forever haunt me.
As for the Halifax base thing? I don't know, that's what they said...so I don't know the whole background.
Interestingly, so far, the replies here all point to me being wrong, yet, in talking to many other people outside the forum, they think that I played it safe or at least erred on the side of being careful. Their argument is that if I say yes and then at the end back down, would that hurt my chances more than if I am honest from the start.
FYI, I know 3 pilots who all indicated that they intended to commute and all work for Jazz.
Perhaps i made a bad decision that will forever haunt me.
Relocating or Commuting
Well, this is bizarre. Unless the company is going to make a huge announcement tomorrow about the growth of Halifax, there must be some mistake. Where was the interview going to take place? Jazz corporate headquarters and all STOC./dispatch/crew sked etc is in Halifax somaybe you misunderstood what the interviewer told you. If not and they actually are trying to staff YHZ off the street, then I would not worry about being based there very long. You could very quickly bid out of there . Which province do you live in. If it's Onario or Quebec I would call Jazz back and take the interview because you there are many pilots in YYZ and YUL that would gladly replace you in YHZ and send you closer to home.
I don't think it's the wrong thing you said at all. You were being honest. If get an interview, you're doing ok. Just make sure its a pilot job. I've heard of people accidently being called or emailed about other jobs. (I think I once got an email about a baggage handler or something, all because I clicked notify me of any jobs I'm qualified for.)
- highlander
- Rank 4

- Posts: 222
- Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:53 pm
I'm pretty sure it was a pilot job.
They asked if I had a valid passport or could obtain one.
Also a restricted area pass
They mentioned the starting salary was 35,000?
I am still torn over my answer. I truly believe that I said the right thing for me. But I can see where the right thing was perhaps the wrong answer.
They asked if I had a valid passport or could obtain one.
Also a restricted area pass
They mentioned the starting salary was 35,000?
I am still torn over my answer. I truly believe that I said the right thing for me. But I can see where the right thing was perhaps the wrong answer.
- highlander
- Rank 4

- Posts: 222
- Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:53 pm
O.k...talk about crazy
I spoke to someone today in recruiting. There was a bit of a miscommunication/understanding and for some reason the way I answered didn't seem to clue them in that perhaps I didn't understand. All bases were open except Halifax.
I have an interview.
With that said
How many guys commute? How hard is it?
I spoke to someone today in recruiting. There was a bit of a miscommunication/understanding and for some reason the way I answered didn't seem to clue them in that perhaps I didn't understand. All bases were open except Halifax.
I have an interview.
With that said
How many guys commute? How hard is it?
-
Pourdu_fun
- Rank 3

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:37 pm
I would guess that about 35-45% or possibly even more of the employees at Jazz commute from somewhere. (pilots, F/A's AME's etc) How hard it is depends on where you are commuting from. IE trying to get in and out of Kelowna or Victoria can be very difficult since there are soooo many very senior people doing that commute. My advice is to focus on the interview and sim eval first, then worry about the commuting part. One way or another you can make it work. Good Luck
-
Captain Jack
- Rank 1

- Posts: 16
- Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:26 pm
- Location: too far from SNA
- highlander
- Rank 4

- Posts: 222
- Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:53 pm
I had applied way back when (months and months ago (maybe almost a year ago) and had nearly 30 some odd hits (I had checked off the option for anyone to look at). I decided to re-apply and found that I couldn't update the original 21 questions so I called Jazz and was told to start all over.
I did that August 29, 2006 and got a call September 15, 2006. I had 4 hits when I checked earlier.
hope this helps.
I did that August 29, 2006 and got a call September 15, 2006. I had 4 hits when I checked earlier.
hope this helps.
Where are you commuting from? I'm one of only a handful of guys who commute from YQT, and with 8 flts per day, the commute is easy. With the commuting LOU (you don't get in trouble if you miss a flight as long as you meet the requirements set out), Jazz is probably the best airline around to commute with.
Good luck.
Good luck.
- highlander
- Rank 4

- Posts: 222
- Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:53 pm
- PeteThePilot
- Rank 4

- Posts: 206
- Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:43 pm
- Location: T1 Tim Horton's
Lots of Jazz pilots commute to work, I think the 40% number is probably close. From my experience, commuting from Halifax for a new hire is impossible (senior base and reduced flights). From YVR and YYC would be more difficult as well because of seniority and sheer numbers. Being based in YYZ is probably the "easiest" since (I think) there are more flights in and out. YWG might be great since you can DH on AC or Jazz, where as, lets say Sudbury in only served by Jazz with 6 or 8 flights a day. The whole thing is wrapped around your seniority number so at times plan on being bumped from flights by senior FA's (arrgghhh), etc. In any case, I think the bases are wide open for hiring right now and that hasn't happened in a long time. Choose wisely my son.
relcoate!
Hi..
I had a similar experience.. I was called by HR and had a quick phone interview..I told them that I was not willing to relocate, but that I had been commuting (a pretty long distance, and to the U.S.) for years, and I was used to making contingency plans (i.e .going the night before etc.)..he said ok, and asked about an interview date.. I told him I didn't have my Oct sked yet, and would in a day or 2, and I'll call him back... he seemed ok with that. Then he called me back a day or 2 later, and asked me again "are you willing to relocate" I told him again, No, but I will commute.. he told me that it is very hard to commute, and that many pilots get bumped from flights and that they were insisting on having new hires relocate... I was upfront with him and told him politely that I guess I would have to pass.. he told me that if I ever changed my mind and wanted an interview, give him a call back... I think he was surprised that I didn't just lie about being willing to relocate!
Since I know that you are not guaranteed either equipment or base, and I have no desire to leave my present job to start commuting again (YYZ would not be a commute) I will just pass.... too much of a pay cut anyway. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting about the relocating thing... I have NEVER heard of a company demanding it.. at least not in the airlines..corporate, yes, but airlines.. no.. Jet Blue has even relaxed on that requirement.
Cheers
I had a similar experience.. I was called by HR and had a quick phone interview..I told them that I was not willing to relocate, but that I had been commuting (a pretty long distance, and to the U.S.) for years, and I was used to making contingency plans (i.e .going the night before etc.)..he said ok, and asked about an interview date.. I told him I didn't have my Oct sked yet, and would in a day or 2, and I'll call him back... he seemed ok with that. Then he called me back a day or 2 later, and asked me again "are you willing to relocate" I told him again, No, but I will commute.. he told me that it is very hard to commute, and that many pilots get bumped from flights and that they were insisting on having new hires relocate... I was upfront with him and told him politely that I guess I would have to pass.. he told me that if I ever changed my mind and wanted an interview, give him a call back... I think he was surprised that I didn't just lie about being willing to relocate!
Since I know that you are not guaranteed either equipment or base, and I have no desire to leave my present job to start commuting again (YYZ would not be a commute) I will just pass.... too much of a pay cut anyway. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting about the relocating thing... I have NEVER heard of a company demanding it.. at least not in the airlines..corporate, yes, but airlines.. no.. Jet Blue has even relaxed on that requirement.
Cheers
- PeteThePilot
- Rank 4

- Posts: 206
- Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:43 pm
- Location: T1 Tim Horton's


