ATPL requirment changes?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
merlin
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Canada

ATPL requirment changes?

Post by merlin »

I have heard people talking about changes to the ATPL requiremnts, flight test and no copilot time. Anyone know if this is true, and when it is happening?
---------- ADS -----------
 
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Post by trey kule »

PM TC Guy and ask him to post his thoughts on this.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 9241
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:28 am

Post by Doc »

If to get an ATPL, you were required to do a captain ride on a large aircraft, the licence might actually worth something? Counting co-pilot time as half is a total cop-out! If you are a REQUIRED crew member, then your time should count....at least as much as an instructor's time in a buck-fifty. This is in no way intended to be an insult to flight instructors.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Post by Hedley »

I've been hearing about the changes that are "soon" going to happen to the ATPL for at least 20 years now.

Sorta like running away from a glacier.
---------- ADS -----------
 
heeypilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am

Post by heeypilot »

Doc wrote:This is in no way intended to be an insult to flight instructors.
i'm all about insulting instructors.. i think it's ridiculous that their time counts as PIC. if instructing time counts as PIC so should my years spent sucking frozen farts out of airplane cushions.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1057
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:22 pm
Location: Toronto, On

Post by Spokes »

heeypilot wrote:
Doc wrote:This is in no way intended to be an insult to flight instructors.
i'm all about insulting instructors.. i think it's ridiculous that their time counts as PIC. if instructing time counts as PIC so should my years spent sucking frozen farts out of airplane cushions.
:roll: Your an Idiot :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Wahunga!
TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:27 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by TC Guy »

heeypilot wrote: i'm all about insulting instructors.. i think it's ridiculous that their time counts as PIC. if instructing time counts as PIC so should my years spent sucking frozen farts out of airplane cushions.
Some of the best pilots I have met are or have been instructors.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that a large number of the successful training pilots in the larger airlines are former Flight Instructors. I know several.

Back to the question.
Hedley wrote:I've been hearing about the changes that are "soon" going to happen to the ATPL for at least 20 years now.

Sorta like running away from a glacier.
I don't always agree with Hedley, but he does share my view on this subject. As far as I am aware (and they don't tell me everything, I am just a pion) they have been discussing changes in the ATPL requirements for years. The closest they have come is the "Integrated ATPL Course" that is an extension of the "Integrated Commercial Course". I don't remember all the details. I will become more interested when I need to be. :)

They DID change the Helicopter ATPL requirements a number of years back to reflect a requirement for a two-crew flight test:
CARS 421.35 wrote:(5) Skill

Within the 12 months preceding the date of application for the licence, an applicant shall demonstrate in flight and on the ground familiarity with and the ability to perform, as pilot-in-command of a helicopter required to be operated with a co-pilot, both normal and emergency procedures and manoeuvres appropriate to the privileges of an Airline Transport Pilot Licence - Helicopter."
Linkage: http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regse ... htm#421_35

So- don't think it isn't coming. Just... not in the immediate future.

-Guy

PS:
trey kule wrote:PM TC Guy and ask him to post his thoughts on this.
Welcome back, trey... hope the season was good.
---------- ADS -----------
 
heeypilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am

Post by heeypilot »

Spokes wrote:
heeypilot wrote:
Doc wrote:This is in no way intended to be an insult to flight instructors.
i'm all about insulting instructors.. i think it's ridiculous that their time counts as PIC. if instructing time counts as PIC so should my years spent sucking frozen farts out of airplane cushions.
:roll: Your an Idiot :roll:
you're an instuctor.
---------- ADS -----------
 
testpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:46 pm

Post by testpilot »

Your brain is frozen from so many years of sucking old farts.
---------- ADS -----------
 
heeypilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am

Post by heeypilot »

testpilot wrote:Your brain is frozen from so many years of sucking old farts.
oh good. just what we need. another instructor. go help someone recover from a stall.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:17 pm

Post by fruz »

heeypilot wrote:
testpilot wrote:Your brain is frozen from so many years of sucking old farts.
oh good. just what we need. another instructor. go help someone recover from a stall.
heeypilot,

do you have a license? If so, how did you get it?
---------- ADS -----------
 
heavymetal
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:57 am

Post by heavymetal »

Spokes wrote:
heeypilot wrote:
Doc wrote:This is in no way intended to be an insult to flight instructors.
i'm all about insulting instructors.. i think it's ridiculous that their time counts as PIC. if instructing time counts as PIC so should my years spent sucking frozen farts out of airplane cushions.
:roll: Your an Idiot :roll:
Looks like you could use some grammar gorillas too. http://www.funbrain.com/grammar/index.html

Level six is a doozey. If you get stuck ask motox415 he did it last week. :D
---------- ADS -----------
 
I'm never played as the villian in the stories I've told.
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2670
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:53 am

Post by . . »

Spokes wrote:
:roll: Your an Idiot :roll:
classic. it couldn't be more perfect.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1057
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:22 pm
Location: Toronto, On

Post by Spokes »

heeypilot wrote:
Spokes wrote:
heeypilot wrote: i'm all about insulting instructors.. i think it's ridiculous that their time counts as PIC. if instructing time counts as PIC so should my years spent sucking frozen farts out of airplane cushions.
:roll: Your an Idiot :roll:
you're an instuctor.
Apology accepted. :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
Wahunga!
heeypilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am

Post by heeypilot »

Spokes wrote:
heeypilot wrote:
Spokes wrote: :roll: Your an Idiot :roll:
you're an instuctor.
Apology accepted. :)


your mother.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
cedar tree
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:18 pm

Post by cedar tree »

Impressive conversation. Sometimes I wonder why I bother viewing these posts. Guess I was interested in the ATPL license changes. :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Intellivision made me a pilot.
ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:39 am
Location: getting closer to home

Post by ei ei owe »

I miss the elementary school playground so this is a pretty good substitute.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Everything comes in threes....
Flying Nutcracker
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:14 pm

Post by Flying Nutcracker »

"frozen fart" made me giggle

this atpl thing in line with what we're seeing in Europe and the JAR
---------- ADS -----------
 
Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1057
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:22 pm
Location: Toronto, On

Post by Spokes »

cedar tree wrote:Impressive conversation. Sometimes I wonder why I bother viewing these posts. Guess I was interested in the ATPL license changes. :roll:
Your right of course. Sorry. Some times it is easy to get drawn into this kind of nonsense when you really shouldn't.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Wahunga!
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”