Steep turns procedures

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Post Reply
Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:08 pm

Steep turns procedures

Post by Wasn't Me »

Agaim I'm getting ready for another group of PPC trainees and getting bored. So here goes.

So when you are teaching steep turns, all four different types of them do you

1. Do a HASEL check
2. Set the aircraft up in advance to a particular airspeed
3. Climb to a higher altitude

and if so why.
---------- ADS -----------
 
I wish I could spell
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2047
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Post by Lurch »

1. No, I only have them do a HASEL before any maneuver with sudden altitude lost. Just do a 360 look-out

2. Yes, have the A/C stable and trimmed makes it easier for the student.

3. No, if 2000' AGL you're fine, you better not be losing more then 100'

I will add the limitations I put on my students. If any of the below are exceeded recover/return to normal flight

1. +/-10 kts
2. +/- 100'
3. + 10 degrees of bank

Explain if they exceed these limits they could be in a spiral and need to perform the proper recovery.

Lurch
---------- ADS -----------
 
Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2047
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Post by Lurch »

Forgot to add 2000' AGL to start incase of a spiral or when they are solo. When they get good I drop them down to 500' better horizan and the ground throws them for a loop.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
User avatar
bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore

Post by bob sacamano »

Why would you do a 360 look out before a steep turn? :?:

I'd have a look both ways, but to do a shallow turn that will take me longer just doesn't make any sense to me. Steep turn in itself can be your lookout.

From lesson #1, they should know what the steep range looks like.

I'd have them pick a bug on the windshield, and keep it on the horizon. I'd also cover all the instruments up as well, this way their head stays outside the cockpit.
---------- ADS -----------
 
:smt109
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2047
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Post by Lurch »

Don't turn the A/C 360 degrees, turn your head 360 degrees, I said 360 look-out not turn check. Start at the back window at your side and go around until the back window on the other side.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Justwannafly
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 896
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:12 am
Location: Cyberspace

Post by Justwannafly »

Lurch wrote:1. No, I only have them do a HASEL before any maneuver with sudden altitude lost. Just do a 360 look-out

2. Yes, have the A/C stable and trimmed makes it easier for the student.

3. No, if 2000' AGL you're fine, you better not be losing more then 100'

I will add the limitations I put on my students. If any of the below are exceeded recover/return to normal flight

1. +/-10 kts
2. +/- 100'
3. + 10 degrees of bank

Explain if they exceed these limits they could be in a spiral and need to perform the proper recovery.

Lurch
Thats what I would say too...except I'm a bit stricter then Lurch....for someone who already knows how to do a Steep turn (aka PPC)
1. +/-10 kts
2. +/- 50'
3. + 5 degrees of bank

An experienced pilot should not be doing a manouver at limits...
Why would you do a 360 look out before a steep turn?
Why?...cause someone may be flying behind you. I'magine following someone & all of a sudden they do a 180 right infront of you :shock:
You don't have to fly a 360...just LOOK 360
---------- ADS -----------
 
Image
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2047
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Post by Lurch »

PPC as in Pilot proficiency Check or PPL Private pilots Licence?

I use 100' as a recovery altitude I would like to see if they can regain the altitude without blowing another limit.

I took Bobs comment as why turn the aircraft 360 degrees, but wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't bother looking.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
JW
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:06 pm
Location: Earth

Post by JW »

1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope

JW
---------- ADS -----------
 
Justwannafly
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 896
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:12 am
Location: Cyberspace

Post by Justwannafly »

Justwork wrote:1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope

JW
Hmm can you expand on that?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Image
User avatar
bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore

Post by bob sacamano »

Lurch wrote:Don't turn the A/C 360 degrees, turn your head 360 degrees, I said 360 look-out not turn check. Start at the back window at your side and go around until the back window on the other side.[/quote

Why would you do a 360 look out before a steep turn?
Why?...cause someone may be flying behind you. I'magine following someone & all of a sudden they do a 180 right infront of you :shock:
You don't have to fly a 360...just LOOK 360
So a lookout of 360 degrees but not moving the airplane.... ok.

Some instructors use this technique;

if you can't teach em, confuse em.

p.s. not everyone flies a cessna.

Following someone in the practice area? Now come on.
---------- ADS -----------
 
:smt109
Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:08 pm

Post by Wasn't Me »

The PPC is on a PA31-350 the steep turn is part of the ride.
---------- ADS -----------
 
I wish I could spell
User avatar
bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore

Post by bob sacamano »

Wasn't Me wrote:The PPC is on a PA31-350 the steep turn is part of the ride.
Back when I did mine, he wanted me at 4K, wanted the first half of the turn at 30 degrees, and then the second half at 45.

Once to left and to the right.

Note: I thought we were talking about ab initio training earlier on, my mistake.
---------- ADS -----------
 
:smt109
User avatar
bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore

Post by bob sacamano »

Lurch wrote:I took Bobs comment as why turn the aircraft 360 degrees, but wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't bother looking.
Maverick,

Why you gotta take things personally?

Look dude, you keep up this attitude in the practice area, once you're out in the real world, hopefully it would change.
---------- ADS -----------
 
:smt109
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Post by Hedley »

45 degrees isn't a "steep" turn (snicker).

A normal turn is 60 and 2G, imho

You want steep? Start off with 75 and 4G, and increase the bank and G until you either hit your airframe G limit, or your airspeed starts to decline (in level flight) in which case you're power-limited.

Ball in the center the whole time - that goes without saying :wink:

Wanna see a real steep turn?

http://superbikeplanet.com/image/2006/m ... d/18st.htm
---------- ADS -----------
 
heeypilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am

Post by heeypilot »

are we seriously have this conversation?

it's a steep turn. get over it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:33 pm
Location: Ontario

Post by Blakey »

Hedley wrote:45 degrees isn't a "steep" turn (snicker).

A normal turn is 60 and 2G, imho

You want steep? Start off with 75 and 4G, and increase the bank and G until you either hit your airframe G limit, or your airspeed starts to decline (in level flight) in which case you're power-limited.

Ball in the center the whole time - that goes without saying :wink:

Wanna see a real steep turn?

http://superbikeplanet.com/image/2006/m ... d/18st.htm
No paint on his knee and that's a "Steep Turn"?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
Post Reply

Return to “Flight Training”