FAA Exams

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Post Reply
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: ON

FAA Exams

Post by Tango01 »

http://www.mywrittenexam.com/mwe/PassedGallery/

Looks like our American friends are passing with flying colours!!!
Why can't we!?
:(

T01
---------- ADS -----------
 
Timing is everything.
Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:08 pm

Post by Wasn't Me »

Don't understand the question. Is it being implied that our exams are harder, our students dumber or our instructors lazy.

I think Canada has a good system of checks and balances the standards are high but then were are talking about flying not driving a go cart. As for the American standards thats for a different forum. Now as for the expectations of some students maybe you should just sigh your name and get a pass. If you prepare you will pass.
---------- ADS -----------
 
I wish I could spell
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

TC exams are structured to be vague and tricky to understand.

They are more of a test of your ability to out guess the answers than a true knowledge of the subject.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
DriftWood
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:53 am
Location: Lost in the FWI

faa

Post by DriftWood »

Thats an easy question. Its because you can buy a book to study from with all the exam questions in it. I would of sure like a book with every TC question in it to study from. I would get 100%. Not saying though I would actually learn anything.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
LT
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: faa

Post by LT »

freeze791 wrote:Not saying though I would actually learn anything.
I don't think I learned anything from the TC exam..

Whether you think the FAA written exam is easy, you still need to do the oral exam before you hop in the plane.

Again, you get all the questions, but you need to answer them with confidence and atleast pretend you know what you're doing.

The PPL, CPL and IFR ground brief(Canada) was 10 minutes, "we in CofG? Add a 100lb bag, shift it, great lets go"

With the multi it's "name the speeds, okay lets go."
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: ON

Post by Tango01 »

Yup, Cat nailed it. It's not the fact that FAA questions can be learned in advanced. TC questions are "evil" and made up by some people who have way too much time to spare.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Timing is everything.
Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:08 pm

Post by Wasn't Me »

LT if that's all you have gotten grom your instructor you should ask for your money back. There is a lot more go find out.
---------- ADS -----------
 
I wish I could spell
User avatar
LT
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by LT »

There is a lot more go find out.
Oh, you're right, I gained 'experience,' 'instruction,' 'knowledge' and 'information' from my instructors, peers and others.

But those Transport Canada exams taught me little, and you will gain the least amount of information from those exams.

I learnt much more with the "Major" during my PPL ride, but it wasn't during the brief it was just when he was talking, telling stories during his a-sides. Which I'm sure he put into his grading, which is good and less stressful when the candidate thinks it's less "formal"(imo).

Conclusion IMO,

FAA written has it's drawbacks but the TC written has drawbacks of it's own.

It should all boil down to the flight tests, and again, in my opinion both systems have good flight tests, which is all that really matters.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Various/based CYOW

Post by Right Seat Captain »

I hope you have not been trying to learn from a TC written exam, because that is not what it is meant for. It is designed to assess your knowledge to know if it enough to meet the requirements of obtaining a licence. Nothing more. If in your groundschool, you were only taught to pass the exam, with no explanation of why you are learning the material, that is the fault of your groundschool instructor.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
LT
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by LT »

Right Seat Captain wrote: It is designed to assess your knowledge to know if it enough to meet the requirements of obtaining a licence. Nothing more.
Once upon a time, supposedly, that's what the story I heard was.. Apparently they just had everyone do a mock cross-country and all the questions were based on that, but apparently everyone got the first question wrong and because of that they got everything else wrong because all their next Q&A's were based on previous answers.

So now the cross country is worth about 5 marks.

You're right, after writing the TC exam I'm sure I'm a little better equipped a deciphering the CARS, but do those exams give a good assesment if the student is able to get his license?

No.

I'll trade you all your hands on flight knowledge for this,

"LoranC is a pulsed hyperbolic system."

So because someone answers "D" on the exam and says "who gives a sh9t, what system it is, all I need to know it's nav system and how to use it" he doesn't get his pass and a license.

But buddy who picked "A" and knows it's a phs, gets to fly an airplane, even though he doesn't even know how to use it?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: ON

Post by Tango01 »

Yes LT. It's a bunch of BS . Plus, after you write the exam, you forget most of it by the second week. Can you still fly with all that forgotten knowledge? You bet! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Timing is everything.
User avatar
LT
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by LT »

Tango01 wrote:Can you still fly with all that forgotten knowledge? You bet! :lol:
And that's what bothers me, I understand the government wants to create some 1000+ admin jobs for these exams, and kudos to all the workers, and I don't want to take their jobs from them. I've written my exams,
but, blah..

Ah, well, as CD would say, "I'm done dealing with TC," atleast with the exams on my part.. Screw it.

***

P.S No need to have pilots do quarterly exams just to stay "current"(for the TC lurkers around here)
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: ON

Post by Tango01 »

Yup!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Timing is everything.
Post Reply

Return to “Flight Training”