Is this for real???

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
User avatar
Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:10 pm

Is this for real???

Post by Stumper »

I was just looking at the job postings and was shocked to see an ad from Eagle Aviation offering $40,000 a year for an AME to work in Sioux Lookout.....ouch!!

I've been working down south for the big boys for quite a while, so maybe I'm out of touch with just how shitty the wages are up north. Maybe, some of you can shed some light on this for me. Would you boy's up north consider this a fair offer (industry standard) or is this some delusional DOM's narcasistic pipe dream?

I sincery hope that there are no licensed AME's in this province or even this country that would consider signing out aircraft for such a joke wage.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:00 pm

Post by Troubleshot »

I know lots of suckers that are signing out 30 year old planes for LESS than 40K/year...
---------- ADS -----------
 
blacksmokeoutofthebox
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:16 pm

Post by blacksmokeoutofthebox »

Where im at it not that far off but with all the overtime its over 50 g's what are ya gettin paid for down south a year
---------- ADS -----------
 
t34ag
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:14 am
Location: NB
Contact:

Post by t34ag »

I wouldn't even open up my tool box for 50,000/yr
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:00 pm

Post by Troubleshot »

$64 000/yr ACA (no overtime, stats, etc..)

3 Endorsements

7 years licenced (M2)
---------- ADS -----------
 
gonzo
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:12 am
Location: YOW

Crazy money

Post by gonzo »

That is what I thought when I saw it.

2 endorsements

5 years exp, M1 & M2

$57000 pa and I bitch about that.
---------- ADS -----------
 
twnotter
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:35 am

Post by twnotter »

Troubleshot, Gonzo, where is it that you guys are located? Southern ON or other major city? Where is it that you work? PM me with details if you don't want to say in forum.
---------- ADS -----------
 
skydrolboy
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 1:03 am
Location: CYLW

Post by skydrolboy »

2 endorsements, will be 3 in about 2 weeks

M2 3.5 years licensed

$68,000/year not including my overtime/away from base pay etc...
---------- ADS -----------
 
twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:28 am

Post by twotter »

As I just said in another thread, with a licence and an ACA the minimum should be $25/hr... That with a regular work schedule will put you at $52000/yr. And that is just the starting point.. Engineers are just as bad as pilots at prostituting themselves, and this has to stop or wages will never come up..
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:10 pm

Post by Stumper »

I've been licensed for about 8 years in southern Ontario and my base pay is 68,000/year. My T4 usually comes in around the 80-85 thou range with O/T and other extras. I haven't grossed less then 70,000 since my first full year licensed, although, I used to work a lot more O/T then I do now. Like gonzo I still bitch. I feel that considering our responsibility, level of training, shitty shifts, and the extreme pressures we often work under, we are the bargain of the trades at this level of compensation.

As for the 40,000 I won't judge any individual AME's as I'm sure they have their reasons for settling for that kind of compensation, but, with regards to our profession I must say that this is not good.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Stumper on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:10 pm

Post by Stumper »

t34ag wrote:I wouldn't even open up my tool box for 50,000/yr
I might under duress open my toolbox, but, you can be sure at that wage my pen would never leave my pocket.
---------- ADS -----------
 
blacksmokeoutofthebox
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:16 pm

Post by blacksmokeoutofthebox »

Sure ya can make over 50 a year but it depends on where ya living the average house costs food and so on. I guess then we can compare wages .
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:10 pm

Post by Stumper »

purtybird wrote:Sure ya can make over 50 a year but it depends on where ya living the average house costs food and so on. I guess then we can compare wages .
purtybird, I sure didn't mean this as a I'm better then you thread, and I hope it hasn't come across that way. I was just shocked at the low level of the wage being offered. In my opinion an AME working under the conditions present in places like Sioux Lookout are worth at least what I'm making plus a bit extra for living in isolation. Thats how things work in other(normal) industries anyways.

To even offer 40,000 for an licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer to work in the middle of nowhere is an insult and shows a troubling lack of respect for our profession as a whole. I doubt highly that the local welders,cran operators, miners, police etc, make just above half the wages of their southern peers, cost of living notwithstanding. Nor do I think that any company would even dare to offer such a wage to those professions.

Again, if any Licensed AME anywhere in this country is valued at a mear 40,000 this is not good. In fact, it is far worse then I had previously imagined.
---------- ADS -----------
 
blacksmokeoutofthebox
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:16 pm

Post by blacksmokeoutofthebox »

Stumper i didnt take it seriously how could i, i work in the aviation industry. i do agree with you on the salary to low, im pretty sure that everyone i know and work with believes that they should be making more then what they are. Are you happy with your wage? cause youd be the first that i know, haha. SAD VERY SAD isnt it
---------- ADS -----------
 
scouty-dog
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:46 pm

Post by scouty-dog »

There will always be some sucker that signs on the dotted line for 40K-annum. I think wages will be low until the end of time. Afterall, we're ONLY mechanics. :x
---------- ADS -----------
 
Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:39 pm

Post by Edo »

Stumper wrote:I might under duress open my toolbox, but, you can be sure at that wage my pen would never leave my pocket.
I know what you are getting at more responsibility = more money

I'm a pilot so don't rag on me too hard but try explaining that to the people riding in the aircraft.

I might as well bill extra for every occupied seat, the responsibility went up didn't it?

If your willing to work on it you should sign it. Period.
---------- ADS -----------
 
chubbee
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:17 am

Post by chubbee »

Signing for the accomplishment of work is mandatory, signing a maintenance release for that same work is at the discretion/whim/judgement of the AME.
Nothin wrong with using that discretion.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:39 pm

Post by Edo »

I agree nothing wrong with using your judgement to sign a maintenance release, on an airworthy issue

Using a whim to hold out for more money is wrong. If you work on it you should be willing to put your name on the release as well.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
fmrc3ame
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 10:53 pm
Location: Currently Far East

Post by fmrc3ame »

Edo, I think chubbee used the wrong word there (whim). When an AME signs a maintenance release his/her signature is a legally binding contract between himself/herself, the employer, Transport Canada and everyone who flies in that aircraft. That maintenance release signature will remain with the aircraft for as long as the aircraft is flying. The sad part of all of this is that they are paid a pitance for this signature. The legal ramifications of this signature are quite extensive as our neighbors to the south have shown us (Valujet). Most engineers know the value of their signature yet employers continue to rape them every chance they get. I can remember the day when I started signing the release and was paid $0.75 per hour above my basic pay. If you signed on with a company as a licensed engineer and refuse to sign the release then yes I agree with you.
---------- ADS -----------
 
PITA
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:31 am
Location: sont

Post by PITA »

If you check CAR's you will notice that the person PERFORMING as well as the person certifying the work are both responsible.

PITA
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4027
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:55 am
Location: Riderville

Post by Dust Devil »

Stumper wrote:
t34ag wrote:I wouldn't even open up my tool box for 50,000/yr
I might under duress open my toolbox, but, you can be sure at that wage my pen would never leave my pocket.
I'm sure the pen that signs the paycheque might just stay in someones pocket as well. Holding an aircraft hostage for more money after a job has been accepted is bad form. If you accept the money then do your end of the job and sign the book. Then quit and look for greener grass.
---------- ADS -----------
 
huff
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:20 pm

Post by huff »

dust-devil, you sound like a pilot...

...or management.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:36 pm
Location: all over

Post by Pat Richard »

huff wrote:dust-devil, you sound like a pilot...

...or management.
Completely..
---------- ADS -----------
 
http://mindflipbooks.ca/
Post Reply

Return to “Maintenance”