ACE in Thunder Bay

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Boomer
Rank 0
Rank 0

ACE in Thunder Bay

Post by Boomer »

Any graduates have any comments about the quality of education of this facility in Thunder Bay (Confederation College)?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

pitch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ACE

Post by pitch »

Not a graduate or student of ACE but visited the school this past December on a road trip. The facility is pretty new and it is quite an amazing facility. They have a DC-9 that Air Canada donated so that the maintenance class can practice run-up checks. They have many radial and piston engines for individual project work. Since the facility is new, you can imagine that most of the equipment are new as well.

mechanic

Post by mechanic »

the schools are good I was a student in North Bay which was a good very good school the only thing is that these new campus doesn't really show people the really world of aviation its not what its all made up to be by what you can see of it you have to like it to stay in it I have alot of fun doing this work in the last 4 years of working I more stories of things that I have had happen to me or have saw happen then most people have in a life time, but I also know now that it will not make me rich
I guess you can call it we do it for the Glory

Post by Guest »

This is the best school whether it be Maint. or Av. Management.

Flying Newf
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flying Newf »

There are many other good schools out there that would disagree with that. :idea:

Hindsight is 20/20!!!!
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

dissagree with what schools mean nothing when you actually work if you think different you aren't working in a real job schools don't tell you everything just the usless rules

crosscontrol
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crosscontrol »

ummmmmm, o.k.??? :shock:

I don't have a lot of time for this so let's get it over quickly - you're ugly, your dick is small and everybody fucks your mother.
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

who of you have jobs with some experience or have you started school yet? I just wonder cause with experience you gain some idea how things work

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Im at almost 14 years served in aviation. That statement(crosscontrol)looks like it was made by someone trying to be very philisophical, and failing.
To say that experience comes from bad judgement is retarded.You learn from mistakes(most people), but I would expect anyone who is competent to gain experience with out constant screwups.Otherwise I boot there dumb asses out the door
I'd guess it's a newb, but there's ame's out there with there heads just as far up there asses, so I may be wrong.

Pat

bootyshake

mechanic

Post by mechanic »

thats what I thought when I read that too nothing like fixing someone elses misstakes what type of aircraft do you have experience on?
have you moved much around in size and type me I have about5 years experience on mostly stuff ranging from c150 up too DHC 2 and the odd twin in there

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Mostly older Boeings,turbo twins,and infrequently helicopters and C172's,Dukes,Navajo's,Aztec's,etc. It's been a really long time since I worked on any piston pounder though, like 6 or 7 years.
I did fluctuate a/c size wise, but not always upward. My moving around was/is dictated by the search for better pay/work conditions.
I remember looking around(when I first gradded)for companies that had a/c I thought I liked,because I thought it would be "cool" to be working on them.
I quickly found out that(for me)this was'nt the wisest choice financially or lifestyle wise.
Now, an airplane is an airplane.and when there's no snags, I'm happiest.

Pat :D

mechanic

Post by mechanic »

sounds as though the way that you started out is the same path as what I am in now I started at a flight school which is a joke nothing gets done you look at the same snag a million times and it never gets fixed cause its not important to do it that I was with for about 3 years then it went under cause the boss got bored of the company and took all the money that was nice lost a few grand there now I am working for another company which is mostly float stuff mainly 180's 185's and 206's and the odd few beavers its not to bad most of it is privite rich people that only want things done the best and mostly the most expensive way which is nice. I would like to move on to big stuff but there isn't like much out there that is hiring people without experience I really don't want to take a pay cut either cause if thats the case I may as well go work on cars or trucks easier money and in the long run you make more

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Unfortunatly, your road travelled sounds like the same one me, and lot of other people have had to take.
I found out big airplane does'nt always mean big money. Air Canada being excluded, most big jet outfits often pay you less than a lot medium tprop/jet operators. That, and if your a new guy, you will likley get stuck with shit jobs, with heavy competition for the better jobs from many others in the same boat. Most of those who I saw advance quickly were competent only at c**cksucking. This seemed to be a common trait at the larger places.
Thats not to say smaller outfits are perfect. But generally, you have to perform well in your job because of the smaller employee numbers. You stand out if you are a twat,because others have to take the slack, and you can't hide in the masses.
You are right about the money part, and being able to do better in automotive(one of many trades). I know several people in trades, and ame wages have initially shocked them, then made them laugh, then laugh harder when you tell them the hours/conditions you work with.
Conversation usually ended up with them shaking there heads and saying they would'nt do it for that money. nice to hear from a plumber, who unfortunatly makes the same wages.
At least you have found a place that fixes A/C to the condition there meant to be kept. That in itself is a good find. I'd recommend that you be very selective in going somewhere else. Places like yours' are not the norm these days, so good on you for finding it. :wink:

Pat

Mechanic

Post by Mechanic »

the whole reason I got this job is because of my old boss was working there and he liked me I really never knew what I could do until the last few weeks they hired a what I would call a new guy without his bubble bursted he thinks only what the parts book and the maintence manual says he can't think outside of it and I can really see that some people are getting really sick of it, no wonder he got layed off from his other job they must have just did it to get rid of him anyways it nice hear that I know there is more people out there that have been through the crapy work places not like things are going to change for awhile though maybe one day it will

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Well,well. Looks like someone found the "edit" button :oops:
I guess it now looks like were discussing nothing :lol:

Ahhhhh! a new philisophical quote. How very deep and moving. :lol:
Type on Plato! fart

Pat

C
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by C »

Mechanic.

Did you go to Canadore and have the initials IB?

benchmark
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: ACE in Thunder Bay

Post by benchmark »

Boomer wrote:Any graduates have any comments about the quality of education of this facility in Thunder Bay (Confederation College)?

Thanks!
i didn't go there, but did visit it before i decided to go to canadore. when i visited the campus, there must be a pulp & paper factory near by, 'cause that's all i could smell. reason enough not to go there, in my opinion

deeker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by deeker »

That would be reason enough for you not to attend a school? :? :?

The scent?

Anyway, I just graduated from there and I can say that the ACE's quality of education is way better than Canadores.

I recommend it. The program there gives you more hands on experience than any college offering the program in Canada.

wollypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wollypilot »

it would be nice if schools taught engineers how to tidy up airplanes in order to keep the pilots happy.

Cheers, wp.

CF-RYE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CF-RYE »

it would be nice if schools taught engineers how to tidy up airplanes in order to keep the pilots happy.

Cheers, wp

Switch the words pilot and engineers around and you might be on to something :D

Rye

Return to “Maintenance”