CYTZ schools

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Panic
Rank 1
Rank 1

CYTZ schools

Post by Panic »

Whose left operating on the Island? Has anyone filled in for the school that went bankrupt last year? How's business with the bridge now toast? Is the fuel surcharge something crazy like $15/hr?
---------- ADS -----------

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Doesn't N8 work at cYTZ??

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

At the Island you have your choice of Canadian Flyers and Island Air. Both schools have professional pilots and good equipment. Canadian Flyers does not have any surcharges, they just charge a set flat rate for the aircraft. Island Air quotes a lower price, BUT they add on surcharges (Insurance and or Fuel). Their overall price comes out to be more than Can. Flyers. If you want more info PM me,

master switch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by master switch »

what does it cost just to show up at that place now? used to be $15 bucks for parking and 5 for the ferry. is that still the price now?

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

That's about right. If you want to keep your expenses down go to Markham or Burlington. As an added bonus you'll REALLY learn how to hold the centre line :lol:

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Agree with mcrit.

Timing is everything.
helinas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by helinas »

what do you think of ATI? pros and cons?

jimdandy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jimdandy »

Go to CYOO. Both schools there r good. Control zone, with minimal traffic, and waiting times.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Helinas, ATI is done! No more ATI.

Timing is everything.
FUBAR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FUBAR »

Don't know much about the island, but I know a couple of guys there. Do they still make instructors stand on the side of the road with signs?

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Never heard of either school making the instructors hold signs up at the side of the road. From what I understand the school farthest from the ferry does make their guys go out and meet the people at the ferry.
Last time I dropped by that school to say 'hi' morale was in the scuppers. The owner had better smarten up or he'll have a mutiny on his hands. The place reminded me of ATI about a year prior to its final demise.

niko
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by niko »

Is canadian flyers making enough money to keep the company afloat?

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Yes

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

Don't forget the Brampton Flying Club, or if you don't mind a nice drive, Aviation International in Guelph or Trent-Air in Peterborough.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

BFC is not much cheaper. In fact, I believe you have to pay the membership and the C172 is only about $5-10 less than the average cost around the city. Add to that your cost and time to get there, and it may not be the best choice after all.

Timing is everything.
Powell887
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Powell887 »

I did my private with Canadian Flyers but up in Barrie (lake simcoe regional). They are stable with some very good instructors. If you're looking into training out of the Island, keep in mind that you have to fly for an extra half hour just to get to a practice area and then return, which could possibly increase your overall cost by as much as $50 or more per flight (approx).

My suggestion would be get to the next closest airport ie Buttonville or Oshawa etc... You may pay more in gas but its gonna keep your flight costs down. Good luck!

N8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N8 »

Powell887 wrote:...you have to fly for an extra half hour just to get to a practice area
A smart instructor will make good use of the time on the way out to and into the practice area. Students don't stop learning during this time do they?
Besides, 200 hours for a commercial licence is 200 hours, regardless of where you logged them.

Return to “Flight Training”