Can someone enlighten me?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Can someone enlighten me?

Post by Guido »

I work at Sarnia Airport right now, while I'm finishing my flight training. We just received unofficial word that Air Canada is going to be cutting our flights back from four in and out per day to three in and out per day. Now this would make sense if our pax loads were unprofitable, but the fact is, our loads are up. Indeed, half of them are oversold!

We have one flight each day that goes out almost empty (4-ish on an 18 seat plane), but it comes in from Toronto with double digits. They're not cutting this flight, though. They're cutting the morning flight (9 AM) that is full EVERY day. Have the management at Air Canada lost their minds?

We've heard that they're closing bases out West, and they're trying to do the same in the East. I don't know what their loads are like, but ours are doing very well, and they're trying to shut us down. No wonder this company is going in the toilet! :x

What the hell are they thinking???
---------- ADS -----------

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

not sure... maybe they will let Jazz take over alot more of the domestic routes, while Big Red focuses on international stuff?

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Can someone enlighten me?

Post by Panama Jack »

Guido wrote:Now this would make sense if our pax loads were unprofitable, but the fact is, our loads are up. Indeed, half of them are oversold!

What the hell are they thinking???
Can't say for sure what is happening exactly in your neck of the woods, but high loads does not always translate to high profitability (although it ought to). Could be that the seats being sold are reduced cost, stand-by, or the airplanes can be redeployed to more profitable routes. Could also be that Jazz will be taking over some of the flights . . . I don't know, but I am sure they give some thought to decisions like these.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

What about seasonal demand? Loads are usually very high during July/August, then taper off.

Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Guido »

I'm not sure. It almost seems like they're trying to force the Air Canada staff to retire early. Their paycheques definitely aren't cheap... $25/hr to check people into a flight, I mean really. Plus benefits? Give me a break...

Oh, I forgot to mention that the flights are contracted out to Air Georgian flying the Air Alliance aircraft.... seems strange. I'd have thought that the tier 3 airlines would fight to keep a run like this...

Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

Are all of the flights operated by Georgian right now?

Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Guido »

Yup and we just got the final word that they're cutting the flight for at least September, probably October.

The loads are up 30% over last July / August... this isn't making sense. Anyone have any ideas?

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Guido,
I agree that salaries aren't cheap, but considering what others make at some other jobs....this isn't that horrible. You can work in a call centre-billingual for $15-18 + benefits....I just saw it today in the papers

the fact is that when I started there 4 yrs ago, I was working for $10.50 with no benefits...when I finally reached $17 last fall, we all got the boot, while the big exec. guys cut their pays by 1-2% (from there $300-500,000)....Now, just recently, they made the CAW workers take a cut from where they were back to $10.75!! (only for those who came after 2000.....now those with 30yrs there, get slashed from $24 to whopping $21.....and guess what.....they still won't retire! No wonder the moral sucks....and oh yeah, those who got layoffs are AC people, not Candian...but who went under??

F**C the politics and democracy!

I am not trying to argue with you...just bringing a unjust point.

Swamp Donkey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Swamp Donkey »

I hear Georgian is quite busy out East (Halifax). Perhaps this is equipment oriented, in the fact that there's not enough tier 3 equipment to go around?

Return to “Air Canada”