Wilderness North Air Tractor

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Wilderness North Air Tractor

Post by Rudy »

So what's the plan for this aircraft? Will it be operating it on wheels or is it a fire boss variant? Will the MNR be contracting it or the lumber companies? Maybe it's for when some drunk american sets fire to one of the lodges.
---------- ADS -----------

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Fuel hauls

Boss Hawg
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: North of somewhere and south of everything to the north

Post by Boss Hawg »

phillyfan wrote:Fuel hauls
For real? Where? From Thunder Bay or Armstrong?

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

Does the AT 802 have any spots to store the fuel pumps? What about ice protection or IFR certification? Yeah it can hold a lot of liquid but has this been completely thought out? If the weather goes out for a week the lights go out in YWP, and Jonas is going to be pissed he can't watch his bell expressvu. Do they actually have the aircraft yet or is this still a theory?

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

Do they actually have the aircraft yet or is this still a theory?
That's been puzzling me for a couple years

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Air Tractors have been used to haul fuel for years, it's not a new concept.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
Water off
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Water off »

Actually it is a new concept and the aircraft has to go through a certification process in order to do this. The concept when completed will be probably the most efficient hauler out there. The equilvalent of 18 drums for less than T/O operating cost.

bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bigsky »

Water off wrote: The equilvalent of 18 drums for less than T/O operating cost.
The hopper capacity on an AT-802 is 800 US gallons or 666 imperial gallons or about 3050 ltrs. All of which work out to about 14.8 drums

What is the certification process? Air tractor and other crop dusters have been hauling fuel for decades now. As long as you don't exceed the landing weight what else is there to do?

There was a question of pumps? What do you need pumps on the aircraft for? There will be a pump at each end. about 5 mins to fill it and 3 mins to empty it.

802 landing weight is 16000 lbs. I think the 502 might have a lower landing weight than take off..but don't quote me on that.

There is no substitute for BIG JUGS!!
Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Water off wrote:Actually it is a new concept
No, it's not....

Unless I've been having delusions on past fuel hauls and the AT's that I saw were just figments of my imagination.

However, I HAVE been a bit out of the loop so maybe there are some ADDITIONAL requirements now. I have to agree with Bigsky on his comments, that's exactly what I recall.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

It IS a new concept.....for Canada. I've seen them do it in the States.
Where to store the pumps? They don't need no stinking pumps! Prop brake, and what works like a "PTO", the engine does the pumping. Pilot can stay in his seat. As for poor weather days...just park the sucker! There's always tomorrow. Leave the stupid IFR crap to the other guys! Single pilot, day, VFR! KISS!

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

Is this air tractor in question a 2 seater? lots of room for hoses etc.....
Heard you have to wear a fireproof flight suit, not that it would help ya.....and be able to bail out if it!! :shock:

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Doc wrote:It IS a new concept.....for Canada.
I guess I'm delusional then, cause I SWEAR I saw (and spoke with the drivers OF) Canadian registered A.T.'s ACTIVELY involved in a fuel haul in Thompson, MB in 1998.

Someone else who was there please step in and concur, here. Bronson? You out there? You were there.

So... there! :P LOL

- Amelia Earhart
bkn4thr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bkn4thr »

Flybabe, I don't know about 1998 but I believe last year A At802f (dual seat) flew fuel north bound out of CYTH for Perimeter. The Aircraft actually belongs to three Manitoba sprayers and the reg is C-GEDR. Also a note that they haul more than 800 us gal. I believe they have 240 gal wing tanks that they also drain some fuel out of.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

The tankers you saw in 1998 were working with a "letter of permission" from TC because of the very poor winter roads that year in northern Man and Ont. This is not a regular gig.
They even had 206's flying in jerry cans!

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

SO, Doc.... what you're saying, in short form, is...

It's not a new concept?

:)

Thanks Bkn

- Amelia Earhart
Beaver Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Beaver Driver »

I'm sure it's not a new concept. Doing it legally, now that's a new concept.

Last time I looked at the TDG Regs you couldn't haul fuel in an aircraft in any container larger than 230 litres. There may be something in there to allow using a spray plane to haul fuel, but I don't really care enough about this debate to actually look it up.

I'm sure if someone wanted to wade through the quagmire of red tape, they could make it happen, but then you would still have a $2 million aircraft to pay for.

Anything is possible.

Flying a twin only doubles your chance of having an engine failure
Water off
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Water off »

Beaver Driver is right (legally). The AT802 to date is only certified for ferry fuel in the tank. The fuel hauling done in 98 was on a permit but the aircraft is not certified for it. The WN machine will be 1000 gallons. No pumps.

ODA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ODA »

When we haul bulk fuel the tank can only be 80% full to allow for expansion. That might cut down on the hopper payload.

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

Best way to answer all the questions is to go fly it :D It sounds like fun. I wonder if they make a nomex parachute? :shock:

100LL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 100LL »

Last time I looked at the TDG Regs you couldn't haul fuel in an aircraft in any container larger than 230 litres.
My guess is that you looked at the IATA regs. If you are flying within Canada to a location not serviced by road you will find some exceptions.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”