Good Ole Newfies

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
CANAIR
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:08 pm

Good Ole Newfies

Post by CANAIR »

Exerpt from VOCM news radio website :

High praise for the community of Chance Cove from a group of passengers on a flight from Alberta to St. John's who had to spend the night in the town, thanks to the storm. The flight was diverted to Gander yesterday afternoon and the passengers were put on two coachlines to drive to St. John's. One of the busses, with just over 30 passengers, broke down in the Doe Hills area. Passenger Sharon Murphy who is originally from St. John's says it was very disappointing and some of them wished they had been put up at hotels in Gander instead of being put on the highway during the storm. Murphy says they were treated extremely well in Chance Cove where they were put up at the Lion's Club for the night. They are expecting to get to St. John's sometime today.

Many of the music contingent from this province at the ECMA's in Halifax couldn't get back to Newfoundland as flights into St.John's were all messed up.

Apparently They decided it would be a good idea to send people on a bus to YYT in a snow storm Instead of putting people up in hotels in Gander
---------- ADS -----------
 
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 4614
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:38 am
Location: Now where's the starter button on this thing???

Post by sky's the limit »

Get Homeitis strikes again....

STL
---------- ADS -----------
 
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7374
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.
Contact:

Post by . ._ »

If I ever got diverted to Gander for bad weather, I'd probably never leave the place. I'd go on pogey and spend my days fishing streams and looking for bakeapples. Then I'd go back to my house that I bought with my MasterCard and surf AvCanada all night while getting stewed on screech. On Saturdays, I'd go down to the Legion to hear the band and dance with the locals.

-istp :D
---------- ADS -----------
 
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 4614
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:38 am
Location: Now where's the starter button on this thing???

Post by sky's the limit »

istp wrote:If I ever got diverted to Gander for bad weather, I'd probably never leave the place. I'd go on pogey and spend my days fishing streams and looking for bakeapples. Then I'd go back to my house that I bought with my MasterCard and surf AvCanada all night while getting stewed on screech. On Saturdays, I'd go down to the Legion to hear the band and dance with the locals.

-istp :D

You are a man with a plan ISTP.... I like it.

STL
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Post by Pete »

Speaking of newfies (sorry for going off topic), and this goes out to anyone whose been in there school system...but what I want to know if they're really taught how to learn, read, and WRITE english the way everyone else does in Canada?

I ask because I have family (bro-in-law's sisters family) who lives out there. Whenever they type on the computer its always "Me thinkS were going out tonight" etc. EVERYTHING is plural. Are kids out there taught this in school (honestly) or is it just nothing but slang? It's truly Eys tha bys dat sails da boat when you talk to them...just curious is anyone is from there and wondering if this is how they learn? Im not knocking them...great people...just wondering if this is what theyre taught....baffles me!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
splitpin
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:40 pm
Location: West Coast

Post by splitpin »

[quote="Pete"]Speaking of newfies (sorry for going off topic), and this goes out to anyone whose been in there school system...but what I want to know if they're really taught how to learn, read, and WRITE english the way everyone else does in Canada?

there??? Pete, you are so busted!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
CANAIR
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:08 pm

Post by CANAIR »

Me think we are going out tonight ... to drop over to petes house and giv'em an ass kicking :twisted: if this was wrote in Ontario it Would have EH at the Begining and the end
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Post by Pete »

haha ya you got me...too many there's/eirs/y'res haha. But seriously...everythings PLURAL!! But EH can't be compared to I thinkS...bugs the shit out of me!! I guess I was asking for it though, should have proof read my post haha. :D
---------- ADS -----------
 
codfish
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:48 pm

Post by codfish »

hey pete..

go F#ck yourself

codfish your friendly newfie
---------- ADS -----------
 
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2047
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Post by Lurch »

codfish wrote:hey pete..

go F#ck yourself

codfish your friendly newfie
Hey Pete I thinkS you should of Bolded Read as well. I don't think Codfish comprehended that you weren't out to slag them :wink:

Lurch
---------- ADS -----------
 
Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
User avatar
bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2396
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Kelowna

Post by bandaid »

I can honestly say that I have never met a Newfoundlander whos company I haven't enjoyed. I may be a bit biased though, my son is marrying a Newfoundland girl whom both the mugwamp and I think the world of.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Image
leftcoaster
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:28 am
Location: YYJ and YUL

Post by leftcoaster »

"the mugwamp"
Wow, brings me back. Haven't heard that term in a while. 20 years or so. Your BC roots are showing..
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2396
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Kelowna

Post by bandaid »

Yep, born and raised.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Image
User avatar
HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:55 am
Location: East Coast

Post by HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis »

We can't be too bad. YYT, YQX, YJT AND YYR took a lot of the stranded 911 planes and passengers into there airports, towns and homes. Restaurants donated food and drinks. People donated food, pillows, sleeping bags and everything they had to give. There was a Captain with AA who got stranded in Gander for a few days, and when he retired shortly after, he moved to gander. He moved his family here cause he was touch by the friendliness and hospitality of us newfies. And probably the screech too..lol
---------- ADS -----------
 
"Young man, was that a landing or were we just shot down?"
User avatar
backon3
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:51 pm

Post by backon3 »

Yep! Best people on earth. I married a newfie girl, they really know how to treat their men. Salt of the earth. Alberta raised but plan to retire on the rock.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Post by Pete »

Thats why I dont like the internet...too informal and messages can be taken too many ways. If I asked the question infront of people it would be obvious I wasnt knocking them and if it were to my bro-in-law's family, would probably laugh and tell me to shut up lol.

Like I said, amazing people...I am not knocking them whatsoever. His nephew is a hoot to sit down and have a beer with. Maybe I'll just ask him the question next time I see him lol. Cheers everyone :D
---------- ADS -----------
 
ALT SEL
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:23 am

Post by ALT SEL »

Hey Pete.

No we aren't taught to speak and write that way. Its just the good humour in us all. The school system is pretty much the same as everywhere else.

I hopes dat answers yer question. :D

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Post by Hedley »

Perhaps am I a coward, but I would be reluctant to overnight in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dildo,_New ... d_Labrador

Image

Or would could visit colourful Pennsylvania:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercours ... nnsylvania

Image
---------- ADS -----------
 
Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: south saturn delta

Post by Dockjock »

Any chance of making the picture a bit bigger? I can't see it. :shock: :shock:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3353
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:56 pm
Location: 50.13N 66.17W

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Back in 1949, before Canada joined Newfoundland and there was still fish, a Canadian Fisheries Patrol vessel stopped a Newfoundland cod fishing boat. The Captain thought he'd have a bit of fun with the old skipper. He looks over the rail at the cod in the bottom of the Newfie boat and remarked, "Hey Skipper, I see you got some Canadian fish down there."

"No Zar" came the reply, "them's all Newfoundlan' fish we got ther."

"How do you know them's all Newfoundland fish?"

"Cause we t'rows back the ones wit' da big mout's!"
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”