I'm stumped.
Bendix/King KLN 90B question
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
Bendix/King KLN 90B question
Looking for info from those who fly with a KLN 90B as well. I make it a point to understand as much as I can about things in my airplane so this little tidbit is bugging me more than it would most people. Say I am flying along at 192 knots. Why is it that some times I will see a groundspeed readout of "192 KT" where some other times it is displayed as "192-KT"??? What's the dash for? I have been looking at it for three years - we don't have a manual for the unit - and have been trying to determine a trend or pattern as to when it appears.
I'm stumped.
Any thoughts?
I'm stumped.
- North of You
- Rank 3

- Posts: 172
- Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:21 pm
- Location: On the Grassy Knoll, Fat Dumb and Happy
I don't have an answer for you but I do have a link to the PDF version of the KLN90B manual
https://www3.bendixking.com/servlet/com ... 0000_1.pdf
If that link doesn't work, PM and I can e-mail you a copy it's 2.17MBs
https://www3.bendixking.com/servlet/com ... 0000_1.pdf
If that link doesn't work, PM and I can e-mail you a copy it's 2.17MBs
Thanks for all your info - what confuses me most is how the dash will be there, then disappear and be replaced with a space? Bizarre. I am sure it has no ill effects on the unit's operation but I was just curious.
Thanks for the link to the manual.
As for not having a manual - we're a VFR only operation so obviously isn't used for IFR, but it sure is nice to have the unit coupled to the autopilot - I can just imagine what a help that would be in a beat up old 'ho or something flying around in the clag. We bought the aircraft (Cessna 210) from North Star Air four years ago and I guess it just didn't come with the manual. I'll ask Bernie next time I'm in for fuel maybe!
Maybe I'll push the boss for a database update, maybe that will cure the anomaly?
Thanks again
Thanks for the link to the manual.
As for not having a manual - we're a VFR only operation so obviously isn't used for IFR, but it sure is nice to have the unit coupled to the autopilot - I can just imagine what a help that would be in a beat up old 'ho or something flying around in the clag. We bought the aircraft (Cessna 210) from North Star Air four years ago and I guess it just didn't come with the manual. I'll ask Bernie next time I'm in for fuel maybe!
Maybe I'll push the boss for a database update, maybe that will cure the anomaly?
Thanks again
-
Rudderless
- Rank 3

- Posts: 137
- Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:36 pm
-
corporate joe
- Rank 8

- Posts: 754
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 8:18 am
- Location: the coast
Re: Bendix/King KLN 90B question
I have a few hours with a KLN 90B, and I must admit that I have never noticed that. Could it be some sort of glitch making your particular unit do that, and not a feature of all the the 90B's?Still-in-YXL wrote:Looking for info from those who fly with a KLN 90B as well. I make it a point to understand as much as I can about things in my airplane so this little tidbit is bugging me more than it would most people. Say I am flying along at 192 knots. Why is it that some times I will see a groundspeed readout of "192 KT" where some other times it is displayed as "192-KT"??? What's the dash for? I have been looking at it for three years - we don't have a manual for the unit - and have been trying to determine a trend or pattern as to when it appears.
I'm stumped.Any thoughts?
The 3 most important things to remember when you're old:
1) Never pass an opportunity to use a washroom
2) Never waste a hard on
3) Never trust a fart
John Mayer
1) Never pass an opportunity to use a washroom
2) Never waste a hard on
3) Never trust a fart
John Mayer
-
mellow_pilot
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2119
- Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:04 am
- Location: Pilot Purgatory
LOL!!! Ah, that makes my night...North of You wrote:When you see 192 KT it means you are flying forward at 192 knots. When yo see a negative infront of the Kt in means you are going backwards at that given speed. Simple realy....
(I really hope you were joking.)
Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
-
Rudderless
- Rank 3

- Posts: 137
- Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:36 pm
Checked the manual. It does not make any mention of the indications you observed. Although, funnily enough, the depictions in the manual showing the GS sometimes show "170kts" and sometimes 170 kts". No dash though. Don;t know if they're related. Nobody I asked had noticed the dash before.
Guess that's no help, really.
Guess that's no help, really.


