Bendix/King KLN 90B question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
User avatar
YACdirect
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:43 am
Location: Between YXL and YAC

Bendix/King KLN 90B question

Post by YACdirect »

Looking for info from those who fly with a KLN 90B as well. I make it a point to understand as much as I can about things in my airplane so this little tidbit is bugging me more than it would most people. Say I am flying along at 192 knots. Why is it that some times I will see a groundspeed readout of "192 KT" where some other times it is displayed as "192-KT"??? What's the dash for? I have been looking at it for three years - we don't have a manual for the unit - and have been trying to determine a trend or pattern as to when it appears.

I'm stumped. :smt100 Any thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
North of You
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: On the Grassy Knoll, Fat Dumb and Happy

Post by North of You »

When you see 192 KT it means you are flying forward at 192 knots. When yo see a negative infront of the Kt in means you are going backwards at that given speed. Simple realy....
---------- ADS -----------
 
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3544
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:43 am
Location: Canada

Post by CID »

It's a software anomaly. Depending on the software version you have the KLN90B occasionally puts a space or a dash between the number and the "KT".
---------- ADS -----------
 
Crazymax
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:41 am

Post by Crazymax »

North of You wrote:When you see 192 KT it means you are flying forward at 192 knots. When yo see a negative infront of the Kt in means you are going backwards at that given speed. Simple realy....
Wow... I don't want to know what the 105 other posts are about...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Galaxy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:35 am

Post by Galaxy »

I'm more surprised by the fact you don't have a manul for that unit. I guess you must not be using it for IFR ops.
---------- ADS -----------
 
codfish
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:48 pm

Post by codfish »

I have never seen a - in front of the g/s
---------- ADS -----------
 
Mode C
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by Mode C »

I don't have an answer for you but I do have a link to the PDF version of the KLN90B manual

https://www3.bendixking.com/servlet/com ... 0000_1.pdf

If that link doesn't work, PM and I can e-mail you a copy it's 2.17MBs
---------- ADS -----------
 
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3544
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:43 am
Location: Canada

Post by CID »

Funny. The manual shows a space between the number and the KT in some screeen shots but not the other.

Like I said it's just a software anomaly. Some versions replace the space with a dash. Check out page 3-37.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
YACdirect
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:43 am
Location: Between YXL and YAC

Post by YACdirect »

Thanks for all your info - what confuses me most is how the dash will be there, then disappear and be replaced with a space? Bizarre. I am sure it has no ill effects on the unit's operation but I was just curious.

Thanks for the link to the manual.

As for not having a manual - we're a VFR only operation so obviously isn't used for IFR, but it sure is nice to have the unit coupled to the autopilot - I can just imagine what a help that would be in a beat up old 'ho or something flying around in the clag. We bought the aircraft (Cessna 210) from North Star Air four years ago and I guess it just didn't come with the manual. I'll ask Bernie next time I'm in for fuel maybe!

Maybe I'll push the boss for a database update, maybe that will cure the anomaly?

Thanks again
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rudderless
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:36 pm

Post by Rudderless »

I have a manual at work. I'll check it out tomorrow. I've never actually noticed that before.
---------- ADS -----------
 
corporate joe
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 8:18 am
Location: the coast

Re: Bendix/King KLN 90B question

Post by corporate joe »

Still-in-YXL wrote:Looking for info from those who fly with a KLN 90B as well. I make it a point to understand as much as I can about things in my airplane so this little tidbit is bugging me more than it would most people. Say I am flying along at 192 knots. Why is it that some times I will see a groundspeed readout of "192 KT" where some other times it is displayed as "192-KT"??? What's the dash for? I have been looking at it for three years - we don't have a manual for the unit - and have been trying to determine a trend or pattern as to when it appears.

I'm stumped. :smt100 Any thoughts?
I have a few hours with a KLN 90B, and I must admit that I have never noticed that. Could it be some sort of glitch making your particular unit do that, and not a feature of all the the 90B's?
---------- ADS -----------
 
The 3 most important things to remember when you're old:

1) Never pass an opportunity to use a washroom
2) Never waste a hard on
3) Never trust a fart



John Mayer
mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:04 am
Location: Pilot Purgatory

Post by mellow_pilot »

North of You wrote:When you see 192 KT it means you are flying forward at 192 knots. When yo see a negative infront of the Kt in means you are going backwards at that given speed. Simple realy....
LOL!!! Ah, that makes my night... :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I really hope you were joking.)
---------- ADS -----------
 
Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
Rudderless
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:36 pm

Post by Rudderless »

Checked the manual. It does not make any mention of the indications you observed. Although, funnily enough, the depictions in the manual showing the GS sometimes show "170kts" and sometimes 170 kts". No dash though. Don;t know if they're related. Nobody I asked had noticed the dash before.

Guess that's no help, really.
---------- ADS -----------
 
it'sme
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Canada

Post by it'sme »

Maybe I'll push the boss for a database update, maybe that will cure the anomaly?

Always a good idea to have an up to date database even for VFR uses but I suspect the earlier poster was refering to a software update. What software version is your unit running with?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
YACdirect
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:43 am
Location: Between YXL and YAC

Post by YACdirect »

i have no idea what software version it is - i am not too concerned about the dash - just curious as to why its there
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”