Career Dilema

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dazed_n_confused
Rank 0
Rank 0

Career Dilema

Post by dazed_n_confused »

Here it is. I'm 29 and love flying. I have a corporate job in YYC that pays well but I'm not enjoying it - to the point of being depressed each day so I'm considering finally taking the plunge into commercial flying. I have always wanted to fly commercially and I can't give a clear answer as to why I didn't pursue it earlier.

I'm definitely not young and realize my age may hinder me but hopefully my education and work experience may count for something - even later on if I apply to the airlines or corporate.

So, my one huge question is: Is it possible to find an entry level right seat position in YYC with only 500 hours? What about starting out in dispatch as an alternative?
---------- ADS -----------

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

You're not too old.

Yes.

Don't know, but without any other information about you, you could probably find flying work now, but it will be a looooonnnggg way from Calgary!

I know a guy who flies a Global for a Fortune 500 Co. who was a lawyer for 15 years first. He must have started at, oh, 40.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
paralyzer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by paralyzer »

xbank, Did he quit his lawyer job for a flying job? Getting a flying job is not going to help his resume.

dazed_n_confused
Rank 0
Rank 0

Good to know that 29 isn't too old.

So, finding a right seat job with only 500 hours is going to be tough in YYC? I remember awhile back hearing CMA was taking some low time pilots. Do you know what the odds are of getting on with them with low time?

Would it be a bad move to visit some of the operators at YYC and talk to the chief pilots to get some advice?

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

You should look at the CMA thread - $22,000 to sit right seat. Its out there......

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
rsandor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rsandor »

Find a corporate job that pays well, and you enjoy it, and then buy your own airplane and fly it whenever you want!

:)

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

ok so umm.... if you do decide to quit... want to pass on the 411 for who you're flying with now... ? I'd love any flying job :D

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

depending on your multi time you could be contrail or close to it in YYC, could possibly find a right seat job with one of the local operators. You may need to work dispatch or the ramp for a bit first though.

That being said if you want to progress quickly, I'd recomend going up north.

Talk to North Cariboo, the CP is based in YYC but they have bases in YXJ and YEG, the pilots in both those bases fly a lot more than the YYC guys.

and no you are not too old at 29.

Cheers

dazed_n_confused
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks ScubaSteve.

Will it piss off the typical CP if I drop in to talk with him/her to get some advice? If not, I'll try North Cariboo here in YYC like you mentioned.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

You could pop by to see Tom but I'd bet dollars to donuts that he'll be "sick".

It isn't the norm but it isn't a long shot to get right seat turboprop right now with 500 hours.

yycguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yycguy »

I used to fly with a guy who was 40 when he started his aviation career. He flew until he was 65 and although it was a long haul getting started (ie several years of demanding jobs paying under $15,000 per year) he never regretted it.

Tui
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tui »

Howard Lockhart (Lockhart Air, Sioux Lookout) didn't get his licence until he was 50.

old metal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by old metal »

Try Borek, you'll have to work a bit harder than most guys but they are hiring guys with 500 hrs.

Return to “General Comments”