Peace Air Officially done.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

Peace Air can't blame the seat restriction at the Muni. They started their sked with a Seneca and later a Navajo. These were then abandoned for the PC-12. This is what their airline business case was built on.

It was after they found that they couldn't make money with 9 seats @ $99 that they turned to the Jetstreams.
---------- ADS -----------

4hrstovegas
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 4hrstovegas »

CMA has been picking up the extra work. At $500 one-way from YEG to YOJ. My girl got stranded on Friday on her way to High Level from YEG. When she asked why the fare was so high, they told her they had recently raised the prices. Charming.

Success flourishes only in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance. -The Red Baron
Goose757
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Goose757 »

4hrstovegas wrote:CMA has been picking up the extra work. At $500 one-way from YEG to YOJ. My girl got stranded on Friday on her way to High Level from YEG. When she asked why the fare was so high, they told her they had recently raised the prices. Charming.
Anyone know what the one way price from YEG to YOJ used to be with Peace Air?

Navajo Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Navajo Flyer »

Peace Air was a great place to work - prior to the recent owner. I was there when the "Coopers" bought it from Winnie. Things went downhill fast. All the experienced pilots' abandoned ship shortly therafter. I understand that the wage for flying a 185 used to be 60K a year back in the 80's when Les owned it. Let's see has the cost of living gone up since 1985? Albert was a federal mp. Has a good pension and connections with the gov't."Cooper blamed staff shortages and cuts in federal funding for the airline’s troubles." Hmm interesting

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

That is because when Les owned it he actually performed meaningful work there. It was his livelyhood and he understood it was the livelyhood of those people that worked for him. Turn over was rare.

Treat people like they're not valuable and they will take the first opportunity out.

Oh, and hi J ^ (not the crazy one mentioned earlier).

Roadtrippin'
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Roadtrippin' »

Wow...just heard the news. Lots can happen in a week eh! Guess I can't say I didn't see it coming. I just hope everyone finds work and end's up someplace better. Best of luck R.W.

mr.av
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mr.av »

I enjoyed the Record Gazette's bit about not being able to fill the YPE-YEG/YXD flights... The YXD flights were ALWAYS full, and the YEG ones (when the flights weren't combined, which they often were) were full often, but not as apealing for the business day trippers. They were right, although, when he mentioned the staff shortages, that's what happens when you treat your employees poorly and dont pay them appropriately. The rampies ran Peace Air, when they said enough is enough, the company collapsed, no surprise there. The solid routes were YC-OD and PE-XD/EG, it will leave a nice void for CMA to move into, hopefully they won't take advantage of the monopoly. One thing Peace Air was nice enough not to do.

thatdaveguy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by thatdaveguy »

mr.av wrote:I enjoyed the Record Gazette's bit about not being able to fill the YPE-YEG/YXD flights... The YXD flights were ALWAYS full, and the YEG ones (when the flights weren't combined, which they often were) were full often, but not as apealing for the business day trippers. They were right, although, when he mentioned the staff shortages, that's what happens when you treat your employees poorly and dont pay them appropriately. The rampies ran Peace Air, when they said enough is enough, the company collapsed, no surprise there. The solid routes were YC-OD and PE-XD/EG, it will leave a nice void for CMA to move into, hopefully they won't take advantage of the monopoly. One thing Peace Air was nice enough not to do.
it would be interesting to see if CMA sets up a new flight YC-OD, or does what peace air did, YYC-YLL-YOD...and run a bigger plane.

Return to “General Comments”