Recommendations for scenic flights - Calgary to Northern Ala
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
Recommendations for scenic flights - Calgary to Northern Ala
Hi Guys
I am looking for recommendations for places to land between Calgary and Northern Alaska
Making a 10-12day cross country in July and have a blank piece of paper in front of me to plan my route. So - I am looking for:
Places to fly of outstanding natural beauty (and similarly, places to land)
Places to land with quirky attributes - like hotels/towns only accessible by air and, therefore, a little more interesting than the tourist trail town
Airfields near must see local attractions or must do events (like white water rafting/ midnight golf, etc)
Airfields where we can hike/ camp over night
Any top tips would be great
Plus - in the remoter northern parts of the trip, advice on places to refuel at a reasonable cost would be appreciated...
Many thanks in advance
rmdr2
I am looking for recommendations for places to land between Calgary and Northern Alaska
Making a 10-12day cross country in July and have a blank piece of paper in front of me to plan my route. So - I am looking for:
Places to fly of outstanding natural beauty (and similarly, places to land)
Places to land with quirky attributes - like hotels/towns only accessible by air and, therefore, a little more interesting than the tourist trail town
Airfields near must see local attractions or must do events (like white water rafting/ midnight golf, etc)
Airfields where we can hike/ camp over night
Any top tips would be great
Plus - in the remoter northern parts of the trip, advice on places to refuel at a reasonable cost would be appreciated...
Many thanks in advance
rmdr2
When you leave YYC/YBW go West before turning North, Alberta is boring, seen one farmers field seen them all.
I'd head toward Lake Louise then up toward the Columbia ice fields then towards Jasper you can get fuel in Hinton if you spend a lot of time picking through the valleys. If not head towards Mt. Robson. Sorry haven't been north of there through the Mountains but I have heard the Alaskan Hwy is quite the flight.
Lurch
P.S. If you haven't gone through the mountains before get somebody to take you in first, then enjoy
I'd head toward Lake Louise then up toward the Columbia ice fields then towards Jasper you can get fuel in Hinton if you spend a lot of time picking through the valleys. If not head towards Mt. Robson. Sorry haven't been north of there through the Mountains but I have heard the Alaskan Hwy is quite the flight.
Lurch
P.S. If you haven't gone through the mountains before get somebody to take you in first, then enjoy
Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
- Rudder Bug
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2735
- Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm
- Location: Right seat but I own the seat
Dear rmdr2
Nice project, perhaps among the most exciting flight one can do on our continent.
However we could give you more appropriate leads if we knew the type of aircraft you will be using, your montain, northern, weather and overall experience or knowledge, etc.
Nice project, perhaps among the most exciting flight one can do on our continent.
However we could give you more appropriate leads if we knew the type of aircraft you will be using, your montain, northern, weather and overall experience or knowledge, etc.
Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
-
Charlie Papa Lima
- Rank 1

- Posts: 25
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:51 pm
You will have to head west into BC first. Saw this place on Wings over Canada once and I will get there one day.
http://www.mabellakeresort.com
Check it out if you get a chance but I have never been so I have no idea what it is like.
Looks good though.
CPL
http://www.mabellakeresort.com
Check it out if you get a chance but I have never been so I have no idea what it is like.
Looks good though.
CPL
-
sheephunter
- Rank 7

- Posts: 673
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
- Location: Muskoka
Like Lurch said, Alberta is a bit boring going straight north out of Calgary, all farm country and depending on experience should determine your route to some degree. A fairly common route is Calgary - Fort St. John skirting to the east of the mountains. If weather is good you can get right into them and do Banff, Jasper, Hinton and out or on up to Prince George. Very, very scenic.
From either Prince George or Ft. St. John you can decide on "The Trench" (MacKenzie / Fort Ware / Watson Lake) or stay clear of the mountains from Ft. St. John to Fort Nelsen to Watson.
From Watson Lake, try to spend a day or so and fly into Virginia Falls on the South Nahanni River or from Watson Lake to Nahanni Butte up the river and above the falls and then swing back around down to Watson.
From Watson to Whitehorse and from there someone else needs to take over. That's my northwestern limits of personal flying. Haven't done the coast but that's on the to do list.
You on floats, wheels, single, twin? Lots of variables depending on what you're in. I've done booth flaot and wheels.
It's a lot of fun, camping under the wing is permitted most place in the north and in some places is the only option. If remote, double check fuel availability. Remote and economical can't be in the same sentence with regard to fuel.
Where ever you're at, 99% of the time the people are going to be great.
From either Prince George or Ft. St. John you can decide on "The Trench" (MacKenzie / Fort Ware / Watson Lake) or stay clear of the mountains from Ft. St. John to Fort Nelsen to Watson.
From Watson Lake, try to spend a day or so and fly into Virginia Falls on the South Nahanni River or from Watson Lake to Nahanni Butte up the river and above the falls and then swing back around down to Watson.
From Watson to Whitehorse and from there someone else needs to take over. That's my northwestern limits of personal flying. Haven't done the coast but that's on the to do list.
You on floats, wheels, single, twin? Lots of variables depending on what you're in. I've done booth flaot and wheels.
It's a lot of fun, camping under the wing is permitted most place in the north and in some places is the only option. If remote, double check fuel availability. Remote and economical can't be in the same sentence with regard to fuel.
Where ever you're at, 99% of the time the people are going to be great.
Just remember one important thing. Once you head either into the mountains of B.C or north of Ft. St. John, you are in or getting in to sparsly settled areas and certain cautions must be taken. An extra bag of trail mix is not suitable survival gear. Weather will shut you down completly so be prepared. Being shut down because of weather is not a bad thing, gives you time to explore and recharge your batteries. What is a killer is when you set a time schedule and feel you must press on and the weather does not cooperate. Absolutley no radar assistance in most areas. It can be a long way between fuel stops so plan accordingly. Visit TC's websight as to the requirements for flight in sparsly settled areas. Forget the independance of cell phones, they only work close to the highways near settlements. Most locals use a satellite phone. Visit Dawson City in the Yukon. About a days flight north of Whitehorse. Real neat place.
The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
I agree with the above. Pending on where you are going, depart Whitehorse and head further up the trench over Burwash Landing if the wx is nice. Truely "Gods Country"!sheephunter wrote:Like Lurch said, Alberta is a bit boring going straight north out of Calgary, all farm country and depending on experience should determine your route to some degree. A fairly common route is Calgary - Fort St. John skirting to the east of the mountains. If weather is good you can get right into them and do Banff, Jasper, Hinton and out or on up to Prince George. Very, very scenic.
From either Prince George or Ft. St. John you can decide on "The Trench" (MacKenzie / Fort Ware / Watson Lake) or stay clear of the mountains from Ft. St. John to Fort Nelsen to Watson.
From Watson Lake, try to spend a day or so and fly into Virginia Falls on the South Nahanni River or from Watson Lake to Nahanni Butte up the river and above the falls and then swing back around down to Watson.
From Watson to Whitehorse and from there someone else needs to take over. That's my northwestern limits of personal flying. Haven't done the coast but that's on the to do list.
You on floats, wheels, single, twin? Lots of variables depending on what you're in. I've done booth flaot and wheels.
It's a lot of fun, camping under the wing is permitted most place in the north and in some places is the only option. If remote, double check fuel availability. Remote and economical can't be in the same sentence with regard to fuel.
Where ever you're at, 99% of the time the people are going to be great.
rmdr2,
I did a similar trip ten years ago with a fresh PPL and a whopping 60 hours TT. Up the west coast, into Alaska, Yukon, over to Yellowknife and then down the East side of the rockies to Calgary before returning west to Vancouver. Don't let the mountains or the unknown scare you off. I camped under the wing or walking distance from the plane everywhere except Ketchikan where I had to take a motel.
I pulled the back seats out of a 172 and loaded her up with my tent, sleeping bag, cot, tarps and rope, cooler, dry foods, camp cook gear, charts, oil, paper towel, etc.
I left Vancouver and flew up the west coast, stopping and camping under the wing in Alert Bay, Bella Bella, Prince Rupert, Ketchikan (AK), Juneau (AK), Skagway (AK), Whitehorse, Teslin, Watson lake, Fort Simpson, Yellowknife, Hay River, Fort Vermillion, Peace River, Hinton, Calgary, Nelson, Vancouver.
Remember, there's no such thing as one long trip...just short hops from gas stop to gas stop.
Mabel Lake is a very cool spot and worth a night...it's one of the only fly-in airpark style communities in BC. And don't be intimidated by flying up the coast on wheels...just stay on top of the weather and shoreline it.
Have fun...I sure did...and if you have any questions, feel free to PM.
I did a similar trip ten years ago with a fresh PPL and a whopping 60 hours TT. Up the west coast, into Alaska, Yukon, over to Yellowknife and then down the East side of the rockies to Calgary before returning west to Vancouver. Don't let the mountains or the unknown scare you off. I camped under the wing or walking distance from the plane everywhere except Ketchikan where I had to take a motel.
I pulled the back seats out of a 172 and loaded her up with my tent, sleeping bag, cot, tarps and rope, cooler, dry foods, camp cook gear, charts, oil, paper towel, etc.
I left Vancouver and flew up the west coast, stopping and camping under the wing in Alert Bay, Bella Bella, Prince Rupert, Ketchikan (AK), Juneau (AK), Skagway (AK), Whitehorse, Teslin, Watson lake, Fort Simpson, Yellowknife, Hay River, Fort Vermillion, Peace River, Hinton, Calgary, Nelson, Vancouver.
Remember, there's no such thing as one long trip...just short hops from gas stop to gas stop.
Mabel Lake is a very cool spot and worth a night...it's one of the only fly-in airpark style communities in BC. And don't be intimidated by flying up the coast on wheels...just stay on top of the weather and shoreline it.
Have fun...I sure did...and if you have any questions, feel free to PM.
-
ScudRunner
- Rank 11

- Posts: 3239
- Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:58 am
Head for Haines Junction (CYHT) in the Yukon wich is about 150km up the Alaska hwy from whitehorse (CYXY) there head west over Kluane National Park home of Mt Logan (19,542') Canada's Highest peak, and its surrounded by the Worlds largest non polar IceCap. Glaciers that are 100 miles long Spectacular to say the least Its really Canada's best kept secret.
If you head north from Whitehorse, Cinnamon Bun Strip (Braeburn Lodge) is a must stop for breakfast. Then on your way to Dawson City, which is a must stop, you can stop at McQuesten on the Stewart River if you have to, nothing there but a big gravel airstrip. Buzz the farm about a mile off the south end and a friend of mine will come out and give you a hand and a place to stay if you need it. PM me if you want more details.
Nature is a Mother.


