AIDS

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

040hurts
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: Thompson

AIDS

Post by 040hurts »

Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome

Thoughts... Comments... Suggestions?
---------- ADS -----------
 
ybp
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: La La Land

Post by ybp »

Good luck with that.....

I have been in the industry for four years, married for six. I think it can be done, but I work 8-5 so that helps too.

I was a truck driver before this so this is a great improvement. I have the odd night shift, weekend away, or emergency call out, but for the most part I have a great schedule.

Remind me of this in a few years :lol: :oops: :?:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Nature is a Mother.
User avatar
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:36 pm
Location: all over

Post by Pat Richard »

Thoughts... Comments... Suggestions?

Thoughts - It is very real, and mid to high twenties an hour isn't enough to keep a good quality hooker on call and eat at the same time.

Comments- Chicks don't dig guys who are never around. If they do, they're almost certainly being serviced when you're gone.

Suggestions - Get the hell out of this shite trade, or bring you're honey bunny to work with you. Phone sex only works for so long.
---------- ADS -----------
 
http://mindflipbooks.ca/
hoptwoit
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:43 am

Post by hoptwoit »

I have found that not all but a great many people involved in aviation have allowed their career to define them as a person. I have found this especially true of those in supervisory positions. You know the ones, “My cell phone is on 24/7 even on holidays”. People like this expect a level of commitment from you that matches their own.
The problem today in any job is finding balance. Balance between family, mental health' friends and work. In all things remember this, aviation is what you do, not who you are. If you feel that you are loosing yourself in your career then step back and get perspective. When it comes to a choice between watching you’re daughter grow up, and getting an airplane up, family comes first.
---------- ADS -----------
 
People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.
ybp
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: La La Land

Post by ybp »

" In all things remember this, aviation is what you do, not who you are. If you feel that you are loosing yourself in your career then step back and get perspective. When it comes to a choice between watching you’re daughter grow up, and getting an airplane up, family comes first."

hoptwoit, it couldn't have been better said...that is why cell phones have a power button and voicemail!!!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Nature is a Mother.
User avatar
petite
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:22 am
Location: In search of an appletini

Post by petite »

Don't get married in the first place. Shack up.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The things I love are not HR approved
"I hate you so much right now." - sar
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3544
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:43 am
Location: Canada

Post by CID »

"Aviation" is the scapegoat but in divorces "A" usually stands for "Asshole" no matter what the guy does for a living.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: The other side of sanity.

Post by Meecka »

True, but there does seem to be a disporportionate amount of divorces where one or both of the people are in aviation.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Between a dock and a hard place.

Post by Human Factor »

Instead of giving up my marriage (which is strong anyway), I decided to hang up my tools and walk away from aircraft maintenance... in 2 weeks, I'll be a civil servant in YOW instead of an underpaid M1 AME in YYJ. Life is good (once you get out of aviation)! :wink:

And back on topic...

Yes, AIDS is alive and well. I would say that easily 50% of the male AME's I've worked with are bitter divorcees who live in one-room apartments and drive 30 year old shitboxes because they can't afford anything better. Of course, they could be divorced because they're a bunch of drunk SOB's and not because they chose a career in aviation. :drinkers:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Kandoo
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:27 pm

Post by Kandoo »

Life is about balance, in all things including work. Of course I say this on my sixth week away from home and a few beer in me! My wife understands, my 5 year old boy does not. Almost 19 years in this industry and it never changes. You find a great job you love but your never home or your always home but hate your job. If your lucky you find a balance. Me, I'm still looking!
---------- ADS -----------
 
conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:32 pm

Post by conehead »

Kandoo wrote:My wife understands, my 5 year old boy does not.
Good God man, go home!!! You can't get those years back! He will never be 5 again!!! Do you get it???
---------- ADS -----------
 
Wrench
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:27 pm

Post by Wrench »

You have to work to live. Not live to work. Once you figure that out life gets a whole lot easier.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:36 pm
Location: all over

Post by Pat Richard »

Instead of giving up my marriage (which is strong anyway), I decided to hang up my tools and walk away from aircraft maintenance... in 2 weeks, I'll be a civil servant in YOW instead of an underpaid M1 AME in YYJ. Life is good (once you get out of aviation)!

Congrats...From what I've seen from others who have left, you'll hardly regret it.

:drinkers:

Cheers'
---------- ADS -----------
 
http://mindflipbooks.ca/
User avatar
Versine
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: YQM

Post by Versine »

Why is it everytime I browse this forum I find more and more reasons not to become an AME?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Between a dock and a hard place.

Post by Human Factor »

Versine wrote:Why is it everytime I browse this forum I find more and more reasons not to become an AME?
Because AMEs come here to talk about their lousy jobs... duh! :wink:

Pat Richard: Thanks, I've been looking for an "out" for a few years now and am seriously looking forward to the change. What I really can't wait for is retiring with a government pension! :smt023
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pilot_adam
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 3:28 pm
Location: CYHM

Post by Pilot_adam »

Kandoo wrote:Life is about balance, in all things including work. Of course I say this on my sixth week away from home and a few beer in me! My wife understands, my 5 year old boy does not. Almost 19 years in this industry and it never changes. You find a great job you love but your never home or your always home but hate your job. If your lucky you find a balance. Me, I'm still looking!
I would highly recommend that u guys watch the movie Click (starring Adam Sandler).

This is not a joke, The movie left a tear in my eye and made me think of how every minute u spend away from home (your family) will never come back again, Think about it before it is too late man.

Cheers
Adam
---------- ADS -----------
 
ybp
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: La La Land

Post by ybp »

My theory on aviation careers or any other career is....

If you don't like it - leave.

Don't hang around and bitch about it to those of us who are enjoying it. If you can't handle the stress or can't live on the wage that you are getting.....find another job :!: :!:

One of my classmates, got out of tech, got his Bell 205 rating and went working in the bush. I don't think he was even there a year and he quit and got a job as a gunsmith and now he is happy working 8-5 and loves his lifestyle.

I wish more people on here had enough backbone to hang up there hat when it's time.

Hint......Hint......... :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Nature is a Mother.
User avatar
log sheet
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:27 am
Location: Northwestern ON, but the Heart belongs to the Rock!lol

Post by log sheet »

Ya, its a simple as that! Don't like nightshift, don't like the industry! Just get out! Never mind about putting food on the table, raising a family,paying the bill or finding the money to do all that and train for a new career! Great suggestion!

How's life in LA LA Land by the way! :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
 
GIT-R-DONE!
ybp
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: La La Land

Post by ybp »

Hey, I like "La La Land" :D ....it's great :smt020

It pays my bills.

If YOU are an engineer, you should know that it is easy to get a job in other fields with your aviation experience....that pay better if you want it. I used to drive truck, but I will never give up my class one license. If you can't adapt to what is changing or NEEDS changing, maybe you do need to visit this "La La Land".

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy aviation, but hell, I'd be stupid to not leave the industry if my family and marriage were suffering because of it.

There's more than one "La La Land"



(Note the change in my location :supz: )
---------- ADS -----------
 
Nature is a Mother.
Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Between a dock and a hard place.

Post by Human Factor »

ybp wrote:My theory on aviation careers or any other career is....

If you don't like it - leave.
I did, thanks! :twisted:
---------- ADS -----------
 
ybp
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: La La Land

Post by ybp »

:idea: :idea: Awsome....do you regret leaving :?:

I can't tell by the look of that face :)

I hope you find a career that improves your quality of life AND you bank account.

Good Luck
---------- ADS -----------
 
Nature is a Mother.
User avatar
log sheet
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:27 am
Location: Northwestern ON, but the Heart belongs to the Rock!lol

Post by log sheet »

Liked the LA LA Land thing hey! :D

I think a forum is a verry good place to bring up issues. Which is the reason why I posted the thread Thought for Today. Do you think that people could possibly be looking for advise and not just bitching? Maby the person who posted this thread is stuck between a rock and a hard place and is looking for some helpful suggestions! My God wheres your heart man :P

I do however agree with your comments. :)

Try this one, say you love your job, money is not an issue and the home life is great!
The only thing you would like to change is your working hours so the quality of life would be a little better.
Most day jobs are, from what I see are piston type A/C. Say you have an M1 and an E but you have no piston experience. You could take a job and get experience on piston but would probally take a pay cut because pay usually follows experience!
Thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------
 
GIT-R-DONE!
ybp
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: La La Land

Post by ybp »

I would take the pay cut...call me stupid....La La Land resident, whatever. Hey, you will get piston experience and that will only make you MORE valuable when you find another job that pays better.

Sell the fancy boat, car pool with a coworker if you have to....ride your bike to work. I would bet that your wife would be willing to try to find some sort of a part time job if it ment you being home more.

To me; I work because I need money to live.

If work is all I do, then in a sense I have just "broke even".....I have money, but hey, I'm too damn busy to spend it.....my wife is living in a nice home in the city and my kids are growing up without a dad....what have I gained in my life :?: :!: :?: :!: . All I am doing is depriving my family out of what they need to live a happy and successful life.

I have worked my heart out and waisted my life for a paycheck. :!: :!:

In "La La Land", :lol: I come home for lunch. And there is nothing better than coming in the door, after dealing with work all morning, and seeing my 18 mos old, blonde little girl come teetering towards the door saying "Daaa--DDY.....Daaa--DDY"

THAT, to me is life; and that is why I would rather have less money :!:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Nature is a Mother.
Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Between a dock and a hard place.

Post by Human Factor »

ybp wrote::idea: :idea: Awsome....do you regret leaving :?:

I can't tell by the look of that face :)

I hope you find a career that improves your quality of life AND you bank account.

Good Luck
Regrets? At this point I'd say no but then it hasn't been very long yet. I haven't turned a wrench on an airplane in 6 months and the only thing I can truly say that I miss so far is the post-inspection run-up. There was something very satisfying about sitting in the cockpit with the throttle firewalled listening to the engine(s) scream! I keep my hands (and tools) busy now keeping my Dodge truck alive and it's much less greasy than any piston Beaver or Otter I've worked on ever was! :wink:

I was lucky in that I never once worked a job that involved night shifts. From my first day out of college to my last day on the job 6 months ago, I enjoyed an 8-5 Mon-Fri schedule. I consider myself very lucky.

Still, the low pay, high responsibility and towering heaps of b.s. eventually took the fun out of aviation for me... now, I'm back to being like I was as a kid. When I see a plane fly overhead, I have to stop and watch it go by. I still find them beautiful, on the outside. :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
log sheet
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:27 am
Location: Northwestern ON, but the Heart belongs to the Rock!lol

Post by log sheet »

In "La La Land", :lol: I come home for lunch. And there is nothing better than coming in the door, after dealing with work all morning, and seeing my 18 mos old, blonde little girl come teetering towards the door saying "Daaa--DDY.....Daaa--DDY"

THAT, to me is life; and that is why I would rather have less money :!:[/quote]


Can't argue with that logic! :)
Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------
 
GIT-R-DONE!
Post Reply

Return to “Maintenance”