No other time counts

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tofo
Rank 6
Rank 6

No other time counts

Post by tofo »

Must have B.C. mountain and remote strip operation experience.
You boy's up in the mountainous terrain in the arctic or anywhere else in the world need not apply as you deffinitly could not posses the skill that vfr operations in B.C. require :roll: :roll: :roll:
---------- ADS -----------

Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Over the Horn »

Jealous! :lol:

tofo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by tofo »

Jealous!
I've worked in alot of places including OMG the oh so trechous mountains in B.C. I am just amused at the fact that people from B.C. seem to think it takes more talent to fly there than anywhere else in the world

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Boo hoo
if it was easy they would employ monkeys to do it for peanuts :wink: :wink:

tofo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by tofo »

it was easy, I've been their done it. it's not rocket science.

Day VFR don't hit the mountain!!!!

and don't forget your 1000 hrs for a 172

ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ei ei owe »

tofo wrote:it was easy, I've been their done it. it's not rocket science.
Do you want a medal? A fifth stripe? And the reason you're not doing it anymore is....??

Everything comes in threes....
Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flyboy757 »

So what`s the point of your post? A company is looking for a specific experience level as a way of "protecting" their investment in their resources and clients..............So what?

Krashman
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Krashman »

You must not be from BC... must be from the center of the universe and think everything revolves around you.

Having trouble reaching ATC? Squak 7500
Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flyboy757 »

Krashman,
Where I live has nothing to do with it. I`ve lived and worked around the world. I have chosen to retire to the "westcoast". I simply stated...you are either qualified to meet the employers requirements or you are not. The employer sets the rules...you don`t like the rules, don`t apply to the company.
YOUR perception of "centre of the universe" or where I choose to live has nothing to do with it. You are either qualified for the job or you are not.

tofo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by tofo »

I thnk I'm more than qulified (I've done day VRF in the most mountainious of mountains in BC) and I think your employer's standards are laughable if he wants 1000 hrs to fly a 172 I hope he's willing to offer the 60000 that mission air wants for the equivilant.

If he had a pay scale at the bottom of his ad than I may retract my statment

whats "BC mountain time" instead of arctic or east coast or colarado mountain time or montana montain time or any other type of f@@@ mountain time worth

you operators and conversly pilots need to pull your head out of your ass

as much as you like to belive your special DAY VFR means exacly that.

Don't Hit the rock infront of you

tofo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by tofo »

having said that if he is willing to offer 60000 than I retract all that I've said

rsandor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rsandor »

Maybe they're just lookin' for pilots that are exceptionally familiar with BC's airports and routes! Doesn't mean they have more skill, it just means they are already familiar with the area.

Yes a capable licenced pilot should be able to perform in any forgein area, but the bottom line is that a local pilot will be more comfortable and have more local experience to fall back on.

If someone's interested in the job, you can always email them and ask why they are looking for BC specific moutnain time! Maybe they'll elaborate.

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

oh boy where to begin with this guy :roll:
instead of arctic or east coast or colarado mountain time or montana montain time or any other type of f@@@ mountain time worth
First off the East Coast does not have mountains, hills yes. second Colorado mountains are different than the coastal mountains, think air mass and Weather numb nuts, depending on the region in BC the vally's are tighter and have fewer outs. Montana well there just broke back mountains out there so he probly doesnt want queers who take a cumulo granite hit from behind.

as much as you like to belive your special DAY VFR means exacly that Don't Hit the rock infront of you
Easy while flying in severe clear but see the above remark about weather, when its nice out and turns shit on you very fast it gets a little complicated. better know how to read weather and I aint talking about the BS that NAVCanada gives you, you just know these sorts of thing like a 6th sense.

anyway last but not least, WTF do you care about what an employer requires of his pilots. you who is obviously so far above his skill requirement might as well get off your confrence call with . Yeager/ NASA and just let some lowly average BC mountain pilot fill the position.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Believe me .., the east coast has mountains that make the coastal mountains look small. Okay so they don't have trees on them, and they are in beautiful towns like Pangnirtung, and Kikitarjuaq... I've also heard the coast of Labrador has some rather dangerous places.

The point he's making and it's been made here before with much the same reaction is that some BC operators do seem to have this nose up in the air "I'm so cool" attitude because I fly the BC mountains. Sure it's some of the most difficult flying around, unless you go to Baffin Island, or the AB rocks, or anywhere else where the 100 nm safe isn't the same as the 25 nm safe. It just makes me laugh to hear that BC time is the hardest time in the world... just turn the correct way on the procedure turn and you'll be fine.

:)

tofo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by tofo »

If you think the mountains in colarado are nearly as hard or tall every person who's flowen out of montana is gay and there is nothing that you can run in to on the east coast you have just proven your experiance level and concept of "BC flyers are the best attitude." you know its real easy to say no when it's 100 feet and 1/2 vis in those mountains but I've seen a few shit their pants when theres "nothing to run into"

You don't here me hassing crop dusting ops for those requirments simply because its single engine. Having said that they pay, some how I have trouble believing these guys pay a decent wage for the hours they require for a 172

while I'm sure I'll never reach the hights and the fame of .. Bombing around in BC even in "THE MOUNTAINS" in a 182 does qualify me for a "MOUNTAIN" job in a 172 I hope.

Just out of curiosity when AC or WS is hiring do they inquire about BC mountain time because I have yukon mountain time but I'm sure the BC mountain time is worth much more.

tofo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by tofo »

CO-JOE you beat me to that last post. And you were much more politicaly correct about it. Thanks

flyinphil
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyinphil »

tofo wrote:
Don't Hit the rock infront of you
This is an all time high for a display of total ignorance.

If you think that is all there is to coastal/mountain flying, you didn't do much of it and learned nothing.

Tofo= future statistic.

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

Tofu=troll wanker

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

No direspect to the mountains up in Baffin Island and Labrador I consider that Eastern Arctic, was more refering to Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick. And cmon that was a wicked burn on Montana a bit of comic relief you set me up for, I had to take it.
you have just proven your experiance level and concept of "BC flyers are the best attitude."

Actually the Majority of my 3000 hours of Mountain time not counting my other experiance in other parts of the world. Is in the Yukon and Alaska only about 800 of that is in BC.

Seen guys come from the praires to fly and they couldn't handle it infact they were afraid of the mountians. Some quit other went back home, all good pilots but gets expensive racking up training bills.

Why I love the Mountains.

The Big Rock to the Right about 100 miles in the back ground is Mt Logan, Im sure you've heard of it :wink:

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Jerricho wrote:Tofu=troll wanker

I think you've summed it up rather well. He obviously has no idea.

If I were an operator here in BC, Yukon, the high Arctic, or in Labrador, I would REQUIRE pilots with local knowledge. There's far more to flying VFR in the rocks than "don't hit a mountain," the ignorance of that statement belies the experience of the author. Doesn't matter WHICH rocks we are talking about either, all have their own local weather and related hazards. Also, the type of operations vary greatly depending on where you are talking about, so local knowledge would be a must if I were to hire someone to fly my aircraft. It's the owner's prerogative, he/she has the final say on who flies what, and where.

I wonder how many of you people actually have flown in these places, or in more that one of them? It sounds to me like not many, that goes for both sides of this argument, and I'm not talking about IFR in turbines, I'm talking about down in the weather VFR operations. I'm sure you all feel a certain pride working where you do, I hear very little appreciation for what other pilots are doing out there, but never forget that each place has its challenges, and that needs to be respected. However....

If the Operator wants BC mountain time, so be it. You know how many helicopter pilots with thousands of hours flatland time would not be hired to fly on the BC Coast? LOTS. It's a different ball of wax in the these hills, and I say that with the experience of many other mountainous regions, both in Canada and out. Labrador has it's challenges, but there's nowhere near the volume of work going on there, and 200ft timber changes things considerably. They both MUST be respected, to not do so is at your own peril.

All this can be learned by any competent pilot, you're not exclusive, but if the Operator doesn't want to risk it while someone gets broken in, that's their right, respect it.

stl

Return to “General Comments”