United Nations

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 0
Rank 0

United Nations

Post by 112894 »

I am looking for comanies that do more humanitarian work overseas.
Something along the lines of a dash.

Just a point in the right direction to get the ball rolling.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

airwrench
Rank 3
Rank 3

U.N.

Post by airwrench »

For U.N. work with a Dash aircraft, Voyageur Airways, possibly Trans Capital not sure if they are still into it.

AW

unregistered
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by unregistered »

Skylink get involved in that sort of thing although they may not actually own any aircraft out there (everything may be sub-contracted).

http://www.skylinkgroup.com

retired or retarded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by retired or retarded »

LoL, Yup Voyageur is doing UN work for one but that is sure to garnish a few opinions on this web site. DAC Aviation is also another one flying the dash. There are several others like A.L.S. in Kenya but they are more local employers. All the companies doing work for the UN are on contract so unless you have a type rating and some experience on the dash you can expect to sign a training bond or buy your own type. "Let the opinions fly" I am just stating the facts. In most cases the UN and WFP require that you have a certain amount of experience on type as well depending where you are operating. Those are a few of the ones that work in africa. There are a ton of others that operate 1900's, King Airs and Caravans. Tons of work in Africa, Afghanistan, Iraq etc..

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 112894 »

Hey thanks. I am on a 1900. So maybe I will just stick with that. Do you know many guys or gals that bring there family over there? Africa

Thanks

french_fry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by french_fry »

if you have1900 time, get a job with a south african contractor, good money and 2 months on 1 month off, you will need to get validation done first, takes about three weeks max and is cheap.
For the UN you need 500 PIC for the type of aircraft being flown for Capt and 100-200hrs for F/O position, depends on the country, ATPL and about 3000hrs total time/

Lots of work out there, PM me if you need info

Cheers

retired or retarded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by retired or retarded »

112894 Most people do no not bring their family. You are usually flying a shit load and if you are flying for the UN you are usually not in tourist destinations so not the nicest places for them to be sitting around while you are out working. Depending who you are working for you can be in shared crew housing as well. Just try to get the best rotation you can and go home when you are off.

newpilotwife
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newpilotwife »

Hubby & I are seriously looking at eventually moving to Africa - nice climate, lower cost of living, spend more time together, explore more of the world . . .
112894 wrote:Hey thanks. I am on a 1900. So maybe I will just stick with that. Do you know many guys or gals that bring there family over there? Africa

Thanks

Keppen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: United Nations

Post by Keppen »

Is it still the same companies operating for the UN? Any word on movement there?

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Voyageur is the most established Canadian company in Africa at the UN. I would recommend them, I had a great time with them for 3 years.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Could look into Regional 1 as well - not sure what they have going on..

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

R1 no longer has any UN or overseas flying anymore

tree-top_willie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re:

Post by tree-top_willie »

french_fry wrote:if you have1900 time, get a job with a south african contractor, good money and 2 months on 1 month off, you will need to get validation done first, takes about three weeks max and is cheap.
For the UN you need 500 PIC for the type of aircraft being flown for Capt and 100-200hrs for F/O position, depends on the country, ATPL and about 3000hrs total time/

Lots of work out there, PM me if you need info

Cheers
+1
If you have 4000 hours, 2500 mpic, and are 1900 rated you will be OGP qualified which is GOLD in South Africa (its the equivalent of being esso/shell/contrail approved out west) there is very good $$ (USD) to be made. The UN contracts are ok but there is better money if you have the experience to fly the oil/gas projects. I've seen 5/5 rotations offered, paid on your time off. Its a better lifestyle, especially if you want to stay away from the real sh*tholes.

Either way, South Africa is your best bet in terms of $$ and contracts and the license validation is simple. I've never worked for Voyageur but I always got the feeling they are either hiring or laying off and in Africa contract world, I have no idea how they compete with the South Africans or the Kenyans.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Voyageur still does UN work but seems to be becoming a training ground for sending guys off to China these days. Just talked with a friend who still works there. Generally good company to work for. Pay was OK, rotations were almost always honoured and it was fairly organized when I was there.

Transcapital used to do UN work. I am not 100% sure if they still do. Take everything I said about Voyageur and forget it.

Regional1 doesn't do this any longer.

Summit Air still has some overseas airline contracts in Indonesia IIRC although they are not UN work.

As was pointed out, UN work is in countries where generally the rule of law has broken down. Some are safer than others but most are not places where I would bring a wife or kids. Some are though but the nature of contract work is that you can never guarantee how long the contract will last or where you will go next. This makes it UN conducive to family life. I know several people who worked for Voyageur went expat status and lived in better countries in Africa. That is always an option with a much shorter commute.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Africa....with all the free dysentery, malaria and other weird tropical diseases your immune system can handle.

Charlie Papa Lima
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Charlie Papa Lima »

Try Solenta Aviation.

They're based in Joburg but have 1900D contracts. The main one is in Algeria for the oil and gas industry. High requirements for upgrade but 5 on 5 off and very good US dollars for 6 months "work" a year.

Pm me if you need more details.

toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by toelessjoe »

Charlie Papa Lima wrote:Try Solenta Aviation.

They're based in Joburg but have 1900D contracts. The main one is in Algeria for the oil and gas industry. High requirements for upgrade but 5 on 5 off and very good US dollars for 6 months "work" a year.

Pm me if you need more details.

FINALLY remembered me damned password!!

Anywho, I would love some of that free info your selling. Sent you a pm and everything.

Return to “Employment Forum”