Why I can be such a dick

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

taxiway_matthew
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by taxiway_matthew »

Global warming
BIG DEAL
Who cares, you people are turning it into a religion to be worshipped.

I, as a Catholic, believe God will end this world one day, not us humans
So who gives a damn
This doesn't mean we should treat the world like a garbage hole

But it doesn't mean you have to get freaky and turn global warming into a damn religion
---------- ADS -----------

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

What I do on a personal level has nothing to do with the veracity of the message. You should not judge the message by the messenger.
What you do personally adds or subtracts credibility to your statements. With the statement I have quoted, I would guess that no credibility should be granted to yours.

Without proof that you are in fact attempting to make a difference, after you have been asked directly to show what you are doing, then I feel nobody should listen..

I will just consider you a wind up artist. Maybe you are CID in another guise??

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Does that mean you dismiss the validity of global warming because you don't think Corporate Joe recycles?

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

I see twotter has jumped in with his usual "you don't agree with me so you must be CID". He' can't offer anything intelligent to the discussion so as usual he tries to attack your credibility. I wonder what his next strawman move will be?

corporate joe, I don't think you're a dick. Theres some good discussion here.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Corporate Joe, thank you for taking up the battle for those of us who are less eloquent!
So who gives a damn
Perhaps God, if he exists, gives a damn. He gave us Eden, and we pooched it the first time - do you think He'll be happy that we did our best to mess it up again? :roll:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

I'm wondering if there is another subject other than global warming or the middle east that we can bitch and complain about for a while. Hmmmmmm anyone want to buy a ppc by chance? That one hasn't been beat to death has it? :-)

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

taxiway_matthew wrote:Global warming
BIG DEAL
Who cares, you people are turning it into a religion to be worshipped.

So who gives a damn
This doesn't mean we should treat the world like a garbage hole

But it doesn't mean you have to get freaky and turn global warming into a damn religion

I feel sorry for you. What's the view like with your head so far up your ass?

Now Catholics, perhaps we should start a thread on the death and suffering that little group of people have caused over the centuries, and continue to this day....:roll:

stl

taxiway_matthew
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by taxiway_matthew »

Now Catholics, perhaps we should start a thread on the death and suffering that little group of people have caused over the centuries, and continue to this day....
No ones stopping you..I'd like to hear what you have to say
Let me get the ball rolling for ya...
1) Inquisition
2) Crusades
3) Pius XII and WWII

Perhaps God, if he exists, gives a damn. He gave us Eden, and we pooched it the first time - do you think He'll be happy that we did our best to mess it up again?
Now God was more pissed the Adam and Eve sinned rather than they 'ruined' the tree. Of course He cares about this planet...and we ought to care about it too (Vatican is becoming the first carbon neutral state)...but there's more pressing matters at hand to worry about then to get all wrapped up in this environmentalist crap.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

but there's more pressing matters at hand to worry about then to get all wrapped up in this environmentalist crap.
Uhh, hardly. Does it really matter which ideology runs the world, or how our economy is faring if the world can no longer comfortably support our living on it? It's not like we can move elsewhere.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Where's Tin Tin when you really need him anyway?

stl

erics2b
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by erics2b »

Let's take a look at how long the earth has been around for. Now compare that to how long (real, sophisticated) human beings have been around for.

Now I'm no rocket scientist, but one number is at least slightly bigger then the other.

Because of the lack of a significant observation time, to even pretend that humans can accurately predict the subject of global warming/cooling is just ignorant. It would be like if a toddler started to predict the stock market :lol: .

I agree that polluting is not the best things humans can do for the planet, but corp joe is some hypocrite: he flies a couple old rich dudes around all day, then lectures us on global warming.

Last edited by erics2b on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

C|D wrote:To even pretend that humans can accurately predict the subject of global warming/cooling is just ignorant. It would be like if a toddler started to predict the stock market
And your scientific credentials to make this statement would be...

erics2b
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by erics2b »

Rockie wrote:
C|D wrote:To even pretend that humans can accurately predict the subject of global warming/cooling is just ignorant. It would be like if a toddler started to predict the stock market
And your scientific credentials to make this statement would be...
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

C|D wrote:I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
Very clever. I must remember to write that down for future use.

There is a warning being given by the vast majority of the worlds environmental scientists that lots of people still aren't believing. It's like all those people who refused to believe the Titanic was sinking when the guy who should know, the Captain, was telling them so. You think you know more than scientists who have spent lifetimes studying this and are bonofide experts in the subject. And your personal contribution to this problem is attacking people who you deem hypocrates because they fly corporate jets with two people on board. I'm not singling you out here but rather speaking about the collective "you" who are so intent on criticizing individuals that they don't see the problem.

I dislike bandwagons myself and am naturally suspicious of them, but I'm at least open to the fact that bandwagons occasionally go in the right direction. As pilots we are trained to take the safest course of action in any situation which is why I'm puzzled at the dogmatic rejection of this in the face of so much scientific evidence. If we do nothing to address global warming and the scientists are right, what have we done to ourselves? Personally I would rather clean up the world.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

sky's the limit wrote:Where's Tin Tin when you really need him anyway?

stl

I love that guy...I even have a painting hanging over my bed. It's the only thing the 'clinic' lets me have in my room. Otherwise they would have to up my daily 'Ritalin' intake.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

Rockie wrote:Personally I would rather clean up the world.
Nothing wrong with cleaning up the world and trying to do better but it needs to be done at a reasonable pace. Alot of these enviromentalist fanatics want us to move at such a rate that the current style of economy that we have would be devastated. Alot of them say ya but an economy could be built around the new enviromental movement. And they are right but if it isn't done at a reasonable rate the transition will be very difficult.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Dust Devil wrote:
Rockie wrote:Personally I would rather clean up the world.
Nothing wrong with cleaning up the world and trying to do better but it needs to be done at a reasonable pace. Alot of these enviromentalist fanatics want us to move at such a rate that the current style of economy that we have would be devastated. Alot of them say ya but an economy could be built around the new enviromental movement. And they are right but if it isn't done at a reasonable rate the transition will be very difficult.
That's very true and I completely agree. It takes a cool head to balance all of society's requirements. I believe that is the Prime Minister's approach to this, it has to be done in a measured way or risk severe economic damage as well. That doesn't appeal much to the more rabid environmentalists but then they don't have to run the country.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

You all enjoy your Summer BBQ's, eating those burgers??

Well guess what, your cows(the meat) are the biggest producers of methane.

Don't worry about driving a prius or a hybrid, stop eating Beef, have the beef sellers go broke, kill their stock and have no more cows on the planet and we won't worry about such high producers of pollutants...

Milk for your cereal, sorry just soy...

But wait a minute, our Prime Minister hasn't told anyone about the cows?? Why not, oh wait, he's got a seat in Alberta.. :o

What happened to cattle when mad cow occured and to the Albertan farmers? :o

But it's okay, he's fighting it at a cars level,good he has oil companies that can make and refine cleaner oil... What??? :o :shock: He's having the ontario Auto makers make cleaner and more efficient cars and letting the oil companies create the same crappy oil with their same dirty inefficient ways?? :shock:

But it's okay, Alberta for all it's polluting can pay for their crimes with their high provincial sales tax... :shock: :o :x Wait a minute, they don't have a PST because they produce so much harmful oil??? :o

You guys see a trend?? Preach, preach preach, no action...

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

cyyz wrote:You all enjoy your Summer BBQ's, eating those burgers??

Well guess what, your cows(the meat) are the biggest producers of methane.

Don't worry about driving a prius or a hybrid, stop eating Beef, have the beef sellers go broke, kill their stock and have no more cows on the planet and we won't worry about such high producers of pollutants...

Milk for your cereal, sorry just soy...

But wait a minute, our Prime Minister hasn't told anyone about the cows?? Why not, oh wait, he's got a seat in Alberta.. :o

What happened to cattle when mad cow occured and to the Albertan farmers? :o

But it's okay, he's fighting it at a cars level,good he has oil companies that can make and refine cleaner oil... What??? :o :shock: He's having the ontario Auto makers make cleaner and more efficient cars and letting the oil companies create the same crappy oil with their same dirty inefficient ways?? :shock:

But it's okay, Alberta for all it's polluting can pay for their crimes with their high provincial sales tax... :shock: :o :x Wait a minute, they don't have a PST because they produce so much harmful oil??? :o

You guys see a trend?? Preach, preach preach, no action...

Check the air quality of Calgary or Edmonton and compare it to Toronto. The Ontario auto industry is a bigger problem. Although I will admit that the air quality at 6:30am in Highlevel in the wintertime is the worst I've ever seen. You can hardly breath in that town sometimes.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

The comparison between Calgary and Toronto is troublesome. Toronto has pretty polluted air but it also is situated in major industrial area and is affected by other large industrial centers on both sides of the border.

Toronto also has about a third of the entire population of Canada within a couple of hundred miles radius.

Return to “The Water Cooler”