Yeah, there is better experience to get, however (and I may be wrong), I believe AirSprint guarantees their customers a "3000 hour cockpit." Pilots at AirSprint are getting upgraded to captain positions on the PC12 with under 2000 hours. So it's a quick progression to the left seat.1500 hours you should be left seat on a ho getting some real experience.
Low timers at Air Sprint (PC-12)
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore
- heropsychodreamer
- Rank 1

- Posts: 33
- Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 8:37 pm
- Location: Otter Creek
Things are really good right now, and anyone who is lucky enough to grab a ho job with 1500 hours should be pretty thankful, 'cause when the music does stop they'll be asking for 3000 hours and 500mpic again.
"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
No they don't just want cheap insurance. They have people with a lot of money that buy into their airplanes and expect a crew with experience. To do that they provide a min 3000 hr cockpit. Having FOs with more experience means it's easier to upgrade to captain and it's easier to have a 3000 hr cockpit.Well I guess I shouldn't be too hard on some YYC operator. After all I had a "friend" who got on with 250hrs F/O pilatus. But that was in Ontario. All they just want is cheap Insurance, right!
To some people it doesn't matter that the PC-12 can be flown by one pilot. They want another person so that they can catch each others mistakes and so that they're not SOL if something happens to one of them.
As for the pilots some like the different places they get to go and like living in a big city.
That maybe true, BUT your screwing yourself by hiring high time guys and then as soon as they make captain there already got the phone call from jazz. My belief is that too many operators are looking for short term solutions and not thinking for the long term. Plus your getting a rep from younger pilots who want to get into the industry and don't have alot of time. 500 total, fine. but 1500hrs for F/O on a pc12 WTF!
privateer,
I am 40 years of age with over 600 hours total time. I also have 17 years airline industry experience that want to get out and hope to fly a pc12. I live very near Sprint's Ontario base and not looking to advance to anything higher because I like to fly.
Do you think if I told the chief pilot that I don't have plans to move anywhere else, any chance that ths might help me get into Sprint.
Again, I am not looking to find employment anywhere else, as I know they like stability.
any comments would be nice.
thanks
I am 40 years of age with over 600 hours total time. I also have 17 years airline industry experience that want to get out and hope to fly a pc12. I live very near Sprint's Ontario base and not looking to advance to anything higher because I like to fly.
Do you think if I told the chief pilot that I don't have plans to move anywhere else, any chance that ths might help me get into Sprint.
Again, I am not looking to find employment anywhere else, as I know they like stability.
any comments would be nice.
thanks
Nobody is saying that you need 1500 hrs to be a PC-12 FO. This is simply how the company has decided to provide experience to their clients and they are free to do what ever they like. I know they are expanding and seem to be doing okay. As many have said they tend to waive the 1500 hrs quite often for people with time on type ect. Just not down to 250 hrs very often. Just because some companies do it doesn't mean others have to. I know some companies that upgrade on PC-12 at 1300 hrs and some that chose to have captains with min 2500 hrs.That maybe true, BUT your screwing yourself by hiring high time guys and then as soon as they make captain there already got the phone call from jazz. My belief is that too many operators are looking for short term solutions and not thinking for the long term. Plus your getting a rep from younger pilots who want to get into the industry and don't have alot of time. 500 total, fine. but 1500hrs for F/O on a pc12 WTF!
It might help but you're most likely better off getting some more time under your belt. What type of experience is it? IFR or all VFR? I'm sure lots of people say the same thing, then as pilots they get bored, something better comes around, or they get mad at the company and leave.I am 40 years of age with over 600 hours total time. I also have 17 years airline industry experience that want to get out and hope to fly a pc12. I live very near Sprint's Ontario base and not looking to advance to anything higher because I like to fly.
Might help you a bit but I'm sure they've had many people tell them that and not live up to it.
Dave T
I am willing to put it in writing, that if hired they have me for life. And, of course if it is a company that is awful bad and not very good to work at anybody not just me will make a move. But I hear good things about Sprint and willing to be a permanent employee.
As my experience, I have bush experience in the north, cross country multi engine from coast to coast but little IFR. Also working on an instructor rating at the moment.
thanks
I am willing to put it in writing, that if hired they have me for life. And, of course if it is a company that is awful bad and not very good to work at anybody not just me will make a move. But I hear good things about Sprint and willing to be a permanent employee.
As my experience, I have bush experience in the north, cross country multi engine from coast to coast but little IFR. Also working on an instructor rating at the moment.
thanks
-
bottom_feeder
- Rank 1

- Posts: 27
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:14 pm
Sorry Lyncher, but you had better check your facts. I worked up north on the PC12 for one of those companies previously mentioned and now work at Sprint. And if you think I am of a biased opinion, you could ask one of my 7 co-workers who left within 6 months of the same company to come to Sprint.
We all had our reasons for leaving, and you will never see any of us go back. I went from working 250 duty hours a month to 80 for the same salary. I don't fly an aircraft older then 5 years old and spend most my layovers in the southern states in first class accomodation. We get thanked by management for not pushing minimas and respecting the CAR's.
Our experience for our pilots is ranging, including a handful of guys who fly on the jet with 1000 hours. I am in no way mocking the northern service, most of us were there and enjoyed the experience, but you get to a point where we put lifestyle ahead of hours. And when the industry hits the shitter, which it will, I'm reassured to know I could be sailing across the skies at FL450 on my to Bahamas for the weekend, as opposed to hitting up Fort Severn at 3 am. But hey, to each their own.
We all had our reasons for leaving, and you will never see any of us go back. I went from working 250 duty hours a month to 80 for the same salary. I don't fly an aircraft older then 5 years old and spend most my layovers in the southern states in first class accomodation. We get thanked by management for not pushing minimas and respecting the CAR's.
Our experience for our pilots is ranging, including a handful of guys who fly on the jet with 1000 hours. I am in no way mocking the northern service, most of us were there and enjoyed the experience, but you get to a point where we put lifestyle ahead of hours. And when the industry hits the shitter, which it will, I'm reassured to know I could be sailing across the skies at FL450 on my to Bahamas for the weekend, as opposed to hitting up Fort Severn at 3 am. But hey, to each their own.
bottom_feeder,
thank you for the positive words regarding sprint.
Do you know if they have hired guys with less than 1000 hours on the pilatus for FO and would they look at a guy like myself where at the age of 41 is looking for a permanent gig at sprint and not looking to move anywhere else.
As well, what kind of schedule do you work at sprint if you don't mind me asking?
thanks
thank you for the positive words regarding sprint.
Do you know if they have hired guys with less than 1000 hours on the pilatus for FO and would they look at a guy like myself where at the age of 41 is looking for a permanent gig at sprint and not looking to move anywhere else.
As well, what kind of schedule do you work at sprint if you don't mind me asking?
thanks
-
Air Sprint Pilot
- Rank 0

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:34 pm
bottom_feeder is right on. It's a pretty good place to be, great maintenance, pay is industry average, benefits, destinations are great and you can't beat flying airplanes no older than 5 years old.
Sched is currently 12 on 4 off and going to a 10 on 5 off come September. The days on are considered reserve but you normally get 12 hours or so notice for trips. That's why former medivac pilots love the sched. Days worked a month range from as little as 10 to as much as 20-22. It's corporate flying so some months are busy, others aren't. Average is about 14-18. Upgrades to the jets come on a seniority basis (well to FO anyway) as easily seen by the several sub 1000 hour pilots now flying FO on the Excels and Lear.
bluenote, as for having less than 1000 hours that's a tough one. All guys with less than 1000 have started off as groomers or night dispatchers. That's how the 250 hour guy gets on the PC12. Keep in mind of course that after a year or two on the flight schedule if their number comes up that person is now FO on a jet.
Everybody mentions cleaning the hangar and the planes. We don't clean the hangar, period. As for the planes yes, they are vacuumed, wiped down and scrubbed down after each return to the plane's main base, either Calgary, Kitchener, Edmonton or Ottawa. Keep in mind of course that you are still on the clock and normally get help from the groomer. These are private airplanes and are kept to a pretty high standard as that's what the owners want to see. Besides, have you ever seen what a PC12 looks like after many flight hours of not being cleaned? Black swirl on the fuselage anyone? You won't find cleaner planes, either way, it only takes 30-45 minutes to clean if you don't slack off and take your time and when in a min rest or duty situation, the groomer does it all and we go home.
I hope I covered everything, if I missed something please ask and I'll do my best to answer.
Good luck to all!
Sched is currently 12 on 4 off and going to a 10 on 5 off come September. The days on are considered reserve but you normally get 12 hours or so notice for trips. That's why former medivac pilots love the sched. Days worked a month range from as little as 10 to as much as 20-22. It's corporate flying so some months are busy, others aren't. Average is about 14-18. Upgrades to the jets come on a seniority basis (well to FO anyway) as easily seen by the several sub 1000 hour pilots now flying FO on the Excels and Lear.
bluenote, as for having less than 1000 hours that's a tough one. All guys with less than 1000 have started off as groomers or night dispatchers. That's how the 250 hour guy gets on the PC12. Keep in mind of course that after a year or two on the flight schedule if their number comes up that person is now FO on a jet.
Everybody mentions cleaning the hangar and the planes. We don't clean the hangar, period. As for the planes yes, they are vacuumed, wiped down and scrubbed down after each return to the plane's main base, either Calgary, Kitchener, Edmonton or Ottawa. Keep in mind of course that you are still on the clock and normally get help from the groomer. These are private airplanes and are kept to a pretty high standard as that's what the owners want to see. Besides, have you ever seen what a PC12 looks like after many flight hours of not being cleaned? Black swirl on the fuselage anyone? You won't find cleaner planes, either way, it only takes 30-45 minutes to clean if you don't slack off and take your time and when in a min rest or duty situation, the groomer does it all and we go home.
I hope I covered everything, if I missed something please ask and I'll do my best to answer.
Good luck to all!
Last edited by Air Sprint Pilot on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
ScudRunner
- Rank 11

- Posts: 3239
- Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:58 am
- Cat Driver
- Top Poster

- Posts: 18921
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm
At best it is an indication they "should "be a good pilot....Total Time does not = Good Pilot
.....but some pilots will never be much better than marginally acceptable.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
well bottom-feeder, thanks for correcting me, i was just going off what I heard about Sprint from a girl who will go nameless, I know about the guys up north, as I was up there for awhile and have since moved on to the same amount of hours, less pay, but better conditions and bigger equipment. but good to know that they are a good company, maybe I'll even put a CV in there sooner or later.



