Whats considered a good start; Today

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lyncher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lyncher »

Well, you'd be making decent cash, with a chance to get on an airplane, with nothing stopping you from putting resumes in other companies? why not take it. there's no guarantee but movement in the industry is good right now........
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I agree

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

as a person getting his instructor rating, instructing is fine, but if its not what you want to do as a career, you have to be careful or you'll get stuck like my instructor, 6000 hours, not enough 704/705 time airlines wont hire him, smaller operators know that if they hire him he'll work 6 months to a year get 1000 hours 705 time then the airlines would be clamoring for him. you'll want to either look for a school that also does charters, or work only 1-2 years then get out and find a right seat somewhere.

lyncher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lyncher »

but the instructor rating also costs you money.... you just need some persistance, there are flying jobs out there for low timers, you just have to find them.

lyncher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lyncher »

because you arent persistant enough. It kinda seems like you want to go instructor, you asked for opinions and thats what you got, but there's nothing wrong with being an instructor, just be conscious of risks.

Last edited by lyncher on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
lyncher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lyncher »

pm sent

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

What's a good start today? The best start would be, to come out of Seneca with 250 hours, and get your useless, know nothing ass plopped directly into the right seat of an RJ with Jazz. You will have no clue what you're doing, because Jazz likes it that way.
Flame on....

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

and get completely screwed over on all your PIC requirements for your ATPL and never go captain :P

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

so far all i see out there for low timers is ramp jobs leading to aircraft time unless you want to instruct or go to the maldives. Of course i have about 85 hours less than you.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

!

Last edited by wordstwice on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

VMC_demo wrote: if demand is soo high, then why am i behind a desk, and not a king air, pc-12, caravan
Um, no, jobs are available for those who want to fly 185's and 206's at a low timers level not 208's, 200's and pc-12's.

Just love the logic, "people say the market is booming but I can't find a job on an rj anywhere with 250 hours..." timmy did you try looking for a 206 parachute/survey job, "but the market is booming why would I take those..." :roll:
or go to the maldives.
Think the ad said "float" rating and "100hrs on floats" so unless he meets A + B or just atleast A, I think the dives are out.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Well, then if it was me I would stay for sure.....but thats just me.
Best of luck

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

If you have no prospects in the immediate short term, I'd consider taking a ramp job at a company like NAC where the wait is minimal (last few people got hired with only 4 months behind the desk). While you are working for them, apply to other companies for a flying job, aerial survey, photography, banner towing, pipeline, whatever.

If that's not for you, look into instructing. You'll spent $6000+ on the rating and it will probably take 3+ months full time to complete.

I got my first flying job with 250hrs doing aerial photography. Ironically I left it to work the ramp, but it all worked out good. Many different paths to the same destination.

If you can get a flying job, especially one with PIC, take it. If you get a ramp offer now with nothing else, take it. But don't give up on applying for flying jobs. Lots of guys where I work have left the ramp to pursue flying jobs. In the mean time, you're better off working at a company that will give you a shot in an airplane while you're working behind a desk then one which wont (i.e. Jazz).

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

cyyz wrote: Think the ad said "float" rating and "100hrs on floats" so unless he meets A + B or just atleast A, I think the dives are out.
My friend got a reply, doesn't even have 250 total yet or a float rating, asked if he could have one by September.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

C-GGGQ wrote:
cyyz wrote: Think the ad said "float" rating and "100hrs on floats" so unless he meets A + B or just atleast A, I think the dives are out.
My friend got a reply, doesn't even have 250 total yet or a float rating, asked if he could have one by September.
Nice.. =) 2k float rating or 6k instructor... Guess that's an easy choice for someoen reading.

rex sterling
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rex sterling »

VMC, if it were me, i would take the job in dispatch for now. The market has come a long way in the last couple of years, but believe me, you will gain valuable experience in that dispatch spot. It was a lot harder to get started a couple of years ago, but most of us did what we have to do to get where we are today. You cant always have everything handed to you on a platter. If a company is willing to train you in dispatch, and put you on the line, well ii cant see whats wrong with giving them some time. Pilots nowadays are shooting themselves in the foot. They complain about having to work the ramp or dispatch for a year in order to get flying, but are willing to go fly a navajo for $1200/month. Now you tell me what is worst? Ramp wages with reputable companies are nowhere near what they used to be, having gone up along with the market. With 300 hours and an IATRA, you are not as valuable as you think. But if you get on with a company and exhibit a solid work ethic, your walue will increase. I may sound a little harsh, but come on, Why does everyone want things handed to them nowadays....a little hard work has never killed anyone.

End of Rant.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

cyyz wrote:
C-GGGQ wrote:
Nice.. =) 2k float rating or 6k instructor... Guess that's an easy choice for someoen reading.
only one person who does it within 300 miles of here, $1200 ish two days 7 hours room and board, group rates available :P :wink:

lyncher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lyncher »

oh but one thing about the dispatch job...... we have a dispatcher who just got his liscences and is ready to go, but he's amazing at what he does, he's to valuable behind the desk...... just giving a heads up, do what you want with the story.

lyncher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lyncher »

we had a dispatcher come on as a pilot. e still moonlights as a dispatcher on the weekends though.

elfransa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by elfransa »

well the aviation industry can be frustrating sometimes...ive applied almost everywhere and not even one reply yet....i have over 400 hrs with 100 multi still nothing...
im even thinking of getting my instructor license but it is so damn expensive.

Return to “Employment Forum”